High Carbohydrate Intake Was Associated With Higher Risk Of Total Mortality

rei

"High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings."

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext

"our FFQ [food questionnaire] assessed polyunsaturated fatty acid intake mainly from foods, rather than from vegetable oils, which might have different health effects than those observed in our study."

The same study published another paper in the same issue of the Lancet: "Fruit, vegetable, and legume intake, and cardiovascular disease and deaths in 18 countries (PURE): a prospective cohort study. This paper shows >= 8 servings a day of fruits, vegetables (uncooked veggies are better than cooked), and legumes reduce relative all-cause mortality rate from 1.00 for no fruit, veggies, & legumes to 0.58. For heart disease, uncooked vegetables are best.

Last edited:

Let Go

Incidence rates pretty low and in FFQ’s all accepted between 500-5000kcal. I’d be pretty cautious with data like this

DaveFoster

"Higher carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality in both Asian countries and non-Asian countries."

I'm sure they're fruitarian Asians.

Crazycoco

I dont think the findnings are different of what the mainstream interpretztion of data seems to show. I mean Walter willet for example. He says That low fat was a mistake and That pufa and monunsaturated are good with fruit and veggies and refined carbs are bad. The only thing here seems to be the,saturated fats. But they appear in this study less beneficial than pufa. No?

Crazycoco

I didnt look deeply at the study but i dont know what do they call "carbohydrate"? Because keep an orange and donut in the same category, frankly...

OP
R

rei

It's a FFQ with a 7 year f/u

Dayton S. et al. ran a study on saturated vs. unsaturated fat in 1969 that showed the PUFA group cancer death risk increased at 2 years and skyrocketing at 5. Other cause death risk for unsaturated oil was identical at 1-4 years, slight risk at 4-7 and very large increase in 8 and dramatic at 9 year point. This would lend credibility to the idea that (P)UFA is antiinflammatory and immunosuppressive which can help against some diseases, but in the long run the damage builds up and comes on dramatically once it has progressed to a certain point. Link to these graphs:

But the evidence against a highly carbohydrate dominant diet is overwhelming. Note that this study saw the dramatic risk increase after 70% of calories which is quite extreme to do.

Thanks but i cant open it
weird, tested the link and it works for me. Maybe try a different browser?

Last edited:

Mito

PURE investigators recorded food intake using questionnaires in 135,000 people in 18 countries, including high-, medium- and low-income nations. The latest findings from the ongoing study, with median follow-up of 7.4 years, were outlined in two separate presentations at the European Society of Cardiology meeting here, which were accompanied by simultaneous publications in The Lancet and in Lancet: Diabetes & Endocrinology.

As an observational study PURE is only capable of finding associations; causation is impossible to prove, though in their multivariate analysis the authors attempted to adjust for every known risk factor.

"Our data doesn't support low carb but certainly it supports a moderate carb intake of 55%,"

"In a nutshell, a healthy diet based on the PURE results would be rich in fruits, beans, seeds, vegetables, and fats, include dollops of whole grains, and be low in refined carbohydrates and sugars."

This topic is old but was randomly suggested to me below another thread

if refined carbohydrates, starches and pure sugar are oh so bad, how do we all explain Walter Kempner’s outstanding work?

JCastro

if refined carbohydrates, starches and pure sugar are oh so bad, how do we all explain Walter Kempner’s outstanding work?
Kempner's template worked for about his half patients. The other half had no improvement, and a quarter of that half died. We can apply this to how some people do great on a high carbohydrate diet and some get extremely ill on it. I think it's a ridiculous ideological divorce from reality when nutrition-tribes try to reason their idealized template onto the entire human population.

The metabolic efficiency of choosing one fuel source macronutrient, whichever one works best for you, instead of shoving down high-fat + high-sugar combination meals, totally ignoring the Randle Cycle, confusing your metabolism. I think that's a big part of why there are good results from both high-carb low-fat diets and good results with high-fat low-carb diets, but then there are failures as well for both. But the recipe for disaster is slamming both in at once.

this study was comparing third world conditions including diet, without controlling for all the stressors of those conditions. The people who live poor in bad circumstances and high stress can only afford carbs. What a surprise. I did go through this study in great detail after it came out and that's what I found.

Kempner's template worked for about his half patients. The other half had no improvement, and a quarter of that half died. We can apply this to how some people do great on a high carbohydrate diet and some get extremely ill on it. I think it's a ridiculous ideological divorce from reality when nutrition-tribes try to reason their idealized template onto the entire human population.

The metabolic efficiency of choosing one fuel source macronutrient, whichever one works best for you, instead of shoving down high-fat + high-sugar combination meals, totally ignoring the Randle Cycle, confusing your metabolism. I think that's a big part of why there are good results from both high-carb low-fat diets and good results with high-fat low-carb diets, but then there are failures as well for both. But the recipe for disaster is slamming both in at once.

i don’t have a track record of all of his patients. What I’m reading “in his original cohort of 192 people, 25 died, 60 did not substantially improve, 107 showed significant improvements”

back in the days of malignant hypertension killing you within 6 months, that’s impressive. Not just that, but also hypercholesterolemia (ie.hypothyroidism), T2DM, kidney disease, heart disease, atherosclerosis, obesity, insulin resistance

His Rice Diet was moderated starvation, nothing sustainable. If someone is fat and I starve him in a metabolic Dungeon, he will lean out eventually. Also, very high impact: Low Salt Dieting.