High Androgens/DHEA-S, Poor Sleep And Libido

Spartan300

I've previously posted details of blood work but the summary is as thread title.

High T, high Dht, slightly above ref range dheas.
Morning cortisol was slightly above ref range when last tested

Issues are poor sleep, libido and mood. Secondary - Loss of muscle mass and not able to regain. Cold hands. Skin aged considerably in last 5 years, dry skin on forehead at hairline which is further back than I'd like ;)

Eating plenty of what I should and not what I shouldn't according to guidelines here.

I'd be grateful for suggestions on where to focus - cortisol, serotonin? My suspicion is that it is likely stress/cortisol problem and I'm struggling to break the cycle.

With high dheas, would something like Pansterone be likely to help or hinder?

TIA..

Last edited:

baccheion

I've previously posted details of blood work but the summary is as thread title.

Issues are poor sleep, libido and mood. Secondary - Loss of muscle mass and not able to regain. Cold hands. Skin aged considerably in last 5 years, dry skin on forehead at hairline which is further back than I'd like ;)

Eating plenty of what I should and not what I shouldn't according to guidelines here.

I'd be grateful for suggestions on where to focus - cortisol, serotonin? My suspicion is that it is likely stress/cortisol problem and I'm struggling to break the cycle.

TIA..
What about free testosterone and SHBG? Just post all results with ranges.

Skin tends to age when not sleeping well, as enough melatonin isn't being released. On the other hand, hormones would also likely be low. What supplements are you taking?

Someone (elsewhere) has had success applying progesterone cream to the scalp.

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Weirdly I don't seem to feel that tired and when I go to bed it takes a long time to fall asleep after getting to sleep often wake around 2 or 3am after which I struggle to get back to any decent sleep.

I had a brief spell some time back which lasted 3 or 4 days when I was going to bed feeling tired and knowing I was going to fall asleep and did straight away. While this lasted I slept much deeper and for at least 7 hrs. Woke up feeling refreshed with tighter waist and raging libido.
This spell seemed to end after a tougher workout which I had felt up to for the first time in a long time...

T

TheBeard

TIA..

That’s exactly me: high androgens per lab, low androgens symptoms.

I still can’t figure this one out

dreamcatcher

Weirdly I don't seem to feel that tired and when I go to bed it takes a long time to fall asleep after getting to sleep often wake around 2 or 3am after which I struggle to get back to any decent sleep.

I had a brief spell some time back which lasted 3 or 4 days when I was going to bed feeling tired and knowing I was going to fall asleep and did straight away. While this lasted I slept much deeper and for at least 7 hrs. Woke up feeling refreshed with tighter waist and raging libido.
This spell seemed to end after a tougher workout which I had felt up to for the first time in a long time...
I suspect liver related problems. Interestingly, when I reduced sugar intake from added cane sugar to zero and replaced it with more starch, my insomnia of 10 years stopped. Cyproheptadine for sleep would help too.

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Thanks for the replies folks. I use cypro from time to time and although I wake less I don't feel like I'm benefitting from deep natural sleep and waking refreshed.

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

@Broken man Your analogy about abundance of hormones with nowhere to bind feels right.

I've not recaptured that previous experience where things came together quickly but I feel I'm moving towards that situation more slowly.

I have been able to put some emotional stresses behind me and I'm moving on mentally. I don't think much of what I was doing before stood a chance to help but now I am starting to feel some benefits. I have been consuming more sugar than ever in my life and I have gained a little weight which is not necessarily a bad thing but I'm a little pudgier around the middle than I was. Supplements don't seem to work for me like they do some others although I have been using ~3mg boron once or twice a day for around a month.

My sleep is not where it needs to be yet but I am getting many more better nights with deeper sleep and less waking. I am still having phases of disturbed sleep/3am wakings etc although the trend is definitely swinging towards better sleep overall. I am exercising when I feel like it but still low volume when I do.

These things has meant my mood is much improved. Our mental state is definitely a big piece of the puzzle but it's a chicken/egg thing - is our mental state poor because of a physical problem or vice-versa?....

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Hi cinderella,
I suspect liver related problems. Interestingly, when I reduced sugar intake from added cane sugar to zero and replaced it with more starch, my insomnia of 10 years stopped. Cyproheptadine for sleep would help too.
I missed your reply at the time for some reason. Did the no sugar solution remain good longer term?

Also did you continue to eat fruits? Was it just additional cane sugar you removed?

I am definitely guilty of allowing myself to consume more confectionery than I used to on the basis that sugar is ok in the peaty world...

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Daytime temps get to 37 much more often now but waking temps are still low, around 36.2.

The brief period I referred to earlier in the thread I was waking at 36.6 or 36.7 and felt fantastic but I've still not yet worked out what clicked back then

dreamcatcher

Hi cinderella,

I missed your reply at the time for some reason. Did the no sugar solution remain good longer term?

Also did you continue to eat fruits? Was it just additional cane sugar you removed?

I am definitely guilty of allowing myself to consume more confectionery than I used to on the basis that sugar is ok in the peaty world...
Yes, it did. My main carbohydrate sources remain starches (white basmati rice, potatoes and oats). I do eat some fruit when I crave it; and honey these days.
It's also very important to eat enough calories during the day for good sleep. Having a simple and easily digestible diet. It's easy if you think long term and feel motivated to look young and feel healthy.

Risingfire

Daytime temps get to 37 much more often now but waking temps are still low, around 36.2.

The brief period I referred to earlier in the thread I was waking at 36.6 or 36.7 and felt fantastic but I've still not yet worked out what clicked back then
were you taking thyroid when it was elevated? Do your extremities warm up when you temp is closer to 37?

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

Yes, it did. My main carbohydrate sources remain starches (white basmati rice, potatoes and oats). I do eat some fruit when I crave it; and honey these days.
It's also very important to eat enough calories during the day for good sleep. Having a simple and easily digestible diet. It's easy if you think long term and feel motivated to look young and feel healthy.
Thanks, good to know and I agree. I'm inclined to think like your earlier view that this could be a liver issue. For January I'm still eating a little fruit but cutting out other sugar. Not that I consume much alcohol but I'm also doing 'dry January' which should help my liver. Let's see

OP
Spartan300

Spartan300

were you taking thyroid when it was elevated? Do your extremities warm up when you temp is closer to 37?
Nope, the eureka spell occurred before I tried thyroid or any idealabs supplements.

Extremities Warm up when I get to 37 and I feel really good. I didn't check on rising but I hit 37 directly after breakfast this morning.
I had slept better last night than any time for the last two weeks

Risingfire

Nope, the eureka spell occurred before I tried thyroid or any idealabs supplements.

Extremities Warm up when I get to 37 and I feel really good. I didn't check on rising but I hit 37 directly after breakfast this morning.
I had slept better last night than any time for the last two weeks
Good luck brother. Keep it up

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals