High Acetlycholine

Edind9

due to a serious iatrogenic condition i must take intranasally a drug called PILOCARPINE that is a cholinesterase inhibitor - consequently it raises acetylcholine.
How bad can it be. i find conflicting literature on this
Many in vivo studies (easy to find online) claims it SIGNIFICANTLY lowers prolactin. just ONE IN VITRO study claims it increases prolactine.
Ref;

One study where it says it increases prolactin, in vitro

Also many other studies claim pilocarpine stopped rats from initiating sexual activity

thoughts?

1669287914640.png

Tim Lundeen

Maybe the answer is to figure out a solution to your iatrogenic problem other than PILOCARPINE?

But if you continue to take it, you might try forskolin, which appears to lower AcyCh and seems better than other options for that.

OP
E

Edind9

what are the risks - i have tried evertyhing , onyl pilocarpine, thanks to heigthened acych works. .. .

Tim Lundeen

Are you taking pilocarpine for dry mouth? Maybe BioXtra or Biotène Oralbalance would be tolerable, and safer?

OP
E

Edind9

i am taking it for a devastating syndrome called empty nose syndrome.
i apply 1 drop intranasally per day.

i was thinking...i could apply also dht which is strong anticholinergic, hoping the dht will be enough to counter systemic effects but i will mantain local effects in the nose?

Tim Lundeen

I don't have any experience with this, so these are just ideas... Please check them out first!

There are pilocarpine variants that are water-soluble; if you could get those, you could dilute them in water and spray into your nose to try to reduce the dosage, to minimize the increase in AcyCh elsewhere. (Pilocarpine is soluble in water+alcohol, but you couldn't spray that into your nose!)

Some other things you could try instead, in a low-dose spray are thiamin (B1), maybe as allithiamin (probably would need to take every 4 hours); caffeine, niacinamide, R-alpha-lipoic acid. If the problem stems from nerve injury from surgery, these might also help with nerve healing.