Hidy Ho from Northern Alberta Canada!

jeanybeans

I've been reading about fitness and nutrition for a long time. Ray Peat was always of interest to me but I was never really ready to give his advice a test drive. I can admit I've been a test monkey to many things maybe I shouldn't have over these few years. Perhaps I'm paying the price already at 31 for it (and even more so because I'm a woman). Lately I've been feeling like shite so I'm going to give the Peaty diet a go to see if it'll help with some of my symptoms from my own self abuse.

So here I am. Joint pain (not exercised in a week because of it), night sweats, intense cravings (went to dr for full blood work Friday, get those back Tuesday) and a general feeling of "meh" without being depressed. Some severe anxiety these past few years which I can correlate to hormones, diet and over exercising (as well as a genetic predisposition to a few things I tried to super hero through in my mid 20's).

Looking forward to learning a few things, relating and trying something different.

4peatssake

:welcome2 and hello from Ontario!
Glad you have joined us!
Another Canuck! :claporange

aguilaroja

At considerable northern latitude in mid-winter, it will be useful to know the 25-hyrodroxy vitamin D level, if included in the recent lab work.

tara

:welcome jeanybeans

I can say I seldom get night sweats any more, and my cravings seldom go unsatisfied long enough to get really intense any more. Good luck. :):

jeanybean

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I got my blood tests back and everything looks "normal" on paper. This month I started eating more "Peat" and low and behold the joint issues were much better (does dropping PUFA'S have that fast of an effect on inflammation?).

I have done some more reading and I believe I've got some hormonal problems and metabolic issues from being too lean for so long (I'm no longer lean but a healthy maintainable bf%, I don't want to keep gaining though). I was one of the luckier ones who could eat a ton of food and stay lean so it never seemed worrisome to me. Now I realize just being that lean despite still eating enough for "health" as I called it was still destructive.

I've been eating a ton of food the last while, normally I maintain on 2500-3200 calories per day and only gain if I go well above that range, as I'm still very active. I scaled back my activity though this month and did gain more fat due to it and eating in that upper range. Last week weighed 147 lbs, that's really not a gain because I fluctuate at my normal set point of 143-149 usually when I'm not tracking food intake and just eating intuitively (when I was lean I weighed 136-139).

A few things to note:

Night sweats are improving, much less frequent!
Digestive issues are improving, no more severe gas pain unless I really over eat stupidly! I'm not eating any more estrogenic veggies!! So that's a double whammy.
I can get away with eating lactose again without much worry or use of enzymes even though a few years ago I tested to be lactose intolerant.
My skin is a mess this month, but my mood and joints are improving.
However, I'm still ravenous. All the time... I think I might start a log in the right section on the forum for tracking this stuff. I'm actively lurking but don't really post, maybe once I know more about all this I will partake in the geek speak I've been seeing, very enlightening!

Does anyone read Matt Stone's work? He's what led me to Peat style of eating.

tara

Glad you are getting some improvements.

The amount of food you are eating doesn't look like a ton to me, esp. if you have been extra physically active or are recovering from a depleted state. If you are ravenous that might be a signal that you still need more food for recovery. At least 100g protein.

I've read quite a few of Matt Stone's articles and at least one of his books. There are one or two threads discussing, I think, if you search.

jeanybean

Okies I'll go against my dieters brain I've had for ever and I'll keep eating until I'm satisfied as often as I can then, seems like months of running on empty and my body is pretty much stating it, sucks feeling like a bottomless pit. I really hate tracking calories but I'm thinking of starting a chronometer for datas sake.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals