Hidden Nasties In Our Food

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This article is about seafood fraud. It is shocking what a high percentage of seafood is mislabeled. One of the shockers is pig anus being passed off as calamari rings. I heard about it a few years back, and it being mostly coming from Mexico and being sold to restaurants. Now when I order calamari I order the bodies not the rings. They always had more flavor anyways!

Dr. B

wo
This article is about seafood fraud. It is shocking what a high percentage of seafood is mislabeled. One of the shockers is pig anus being passed off as calamari rings. I heard about it a few years back, and it being mostly coming from Mexico and being sold to restaurants. Now when I order calamari I order the bodies not the rings. They always had more flavor anyways!

wow, how are they able to do that...

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Beastmode posted this e-mail exchange with Ray Peat in another post...

Me:
Is there something unique about scallops as a protein source compared to others?

Possibly from an anti-inflammatory standpoint?

Scallop protein with endogenous high taurine and glycine content prevents high-fat, high-sucrose-induced obesity and improves plasma lipid profile in male C57BL/6J mice

Throughout your articles and interviews over the years I haven't heard you mention them much as anything special.

Ray:
"They are similar to other mollusks nutritionally. I stopped mentioning them years ago when there were a lot of imitation scallops on the market. More recently I accidentally got some imitation calamari steaks. It’s easier to mention the things that are less likely to be fabricated out of junk and glue." -Ray Peat

Dr. B

Beastmode posted this e-mail exchange with Ray Peat in another post...

Me:
Is there something unique about scallops as a protein source compared to others?

Possibly from an anti-inflammatory standpoint?

Scallop protein with endogenous high taurine and glycine content prevents high-fat, high-sucrose-induced obesity and improves plasma lipid profile in male C57BL/6J mice

Throughout your articles and interviews over the years I haven't heard you mention them much as anything special.

Ray:
"They are similar to other mollusks nutritionally. I stopped mentioning them years ago when there were a lot of imitation scallops on the market. More recently I accidentally got some imitation calamari steaks. It’s easier to mention the things that are less likely to be fabricated out of junk and glue." -Ray Peat
is that what you posted before, the pig rectums disguised as calamari?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
is that what you posted before, the pig rectums disguised as calamari?

No scallops are shellfish. Like imitation crab with all of the starches, msg and other additives. I guess now they are trying to fool us with fake scallops now too!

"Fake crab meat contains more than ground fish. ... Imitation crab is a processed food and also contains various artificial ingredients, such as artificial flavorings, as well as sodium and monosodium glutamate, or MSG."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Real scallops are not perfectly round and will all have a slightly different shape. Imitation scallops, on the other hand, will all be perfectly round and in the same shape. This is because shark, stingray, or skate is often used to make imitation scallops, and they are cut out with a cookie-cutter device.May 20, 2021"

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Look at this headline!

"SCALLOPS: THE MOST COUNTERFEIT
FOOD!"

Until reading that Ray Peat e-mail exchange above, I had NO IDEA there was such a thing as fake scallops.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
These are those perfect cookie cutter fake scallops I have been reading and squinting myself with. These are being passed off as "sashimi grade scallops".

"Lean meat from fish or land animals is first separated or minced. The meat then is rinsed numerous times to eliminate undesirable odors. The result is beaten and pulverized to form a gelatinous paste. Depending on the desired texture and flavor of the Scallop Imitation product, the gelatinous paste is mixed with differing proportions of additives such as starch, egg white, salt, vegetable oil, humectants, sorbitol, sugar, soy protein, seasonings, and enhancers such as transglutaminases and monosodium glutamate (MSG).

If the Scallop Imitation is to be packed and frozen, food-grade cryoprotectants are added as preservatives while the meat paste is being mixed. Under most circumstances,Scallop Imitation is processed immediately into a formed and cured product.

The curing of the fish paste is caused by the polymerization of myosin when heated. The species of fish is the most important factor that affects this curing process. Many pelagic fish with higher fat contents lack the needed type of heat-curing myosin and are not used for Scallop Imitation.

Certain kinds of fish, such as the Pacific whiting, cannot form firm surimi without additives such as egg white or potato starch. Before the outbreak of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, mad cow disease), it was an industrial practice to add bovine blood plasma into the fish paste to help its curing or gel-forming. Today some manufacturers may use a transglutaminase to improve the texture of surimi. Although illegal, the practice of adding borax to fish balls and Scallop Imitation to heighten the bouncy texture of the fish balls and whiten the product is widespread in Asia."

Attachments

• 20210928_163447.jpg
    20210928_163447.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210928_163233.jpg
    20210928_163233.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 5

David PS

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Q: You say vegetable oils are hazardous to your health. What vegetable oils are you talking about?

"Mainly, I'm referring to soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, canola, sesame oil, sunflower seed oil, palm oil, and any others that are labeled as "unsaturated" or "polyunsaturated." Almond oil, which is used in many cosmetics, is very unsaturated.

Chemically, the material that makes these oils very toxic is the polyunsaturated fat itself. These unsaturated oils are found in very high concentrations in many seeds, and in the fats of animals that have eaten a diet containing them. The fresh oils, whether cold pressed or consumed as part of the living plant material, are intrinsically toxic, and it is not any special industrial treatment that makes them toxic. Since these oils occur in other parts of plants at lower concentration, and in the animals which eat the plants, it is impossible to eat a diet which lacks them, unless special foods are prepared in the laboratory.

These toxic oils are sometimes called the "essential fatty acids" or "vitamin F," but this concept of the oils as essential nutrients was clearly disproved over 50 years ago." -Ray Peat

Dr. B

Q: You say vegetable oils are hazardous to your health. What vegetable oils are you talking about?

"Mainly, I'm referring to soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, canola, sesame oil, sunflower seed oil, palm oil, and any others that are labeled as "unsaturated" or "polyunsaturated." Almond oil, which is used in many cosmetics, is very unsaturated.

Chemically, the material that makes these oils very toxic is the polyunsaturated fat itself. These unsaturated oils are found in very high concentrations in many seeds, and in the fats of animals that have eaten a diet containing them. The fresh oils, whether cold pressed or consumed as part of the living plant material, are intrinsically toxic, and it is not any special industrial treatment that makes them toxic. Since these oils occur in other parts of plants at lower concentration, and in the animals which eat the plants, it is impossible to eat a diet which lacks them, unless special foods are prepared in the laboratory.

These toxic oils are sometimes called the "essential fatty acids" or "vitamin F," but this concept of the oils as essential nutrients was clearly disproved over 50 years ago." -Ray Peat
where was this from, was it on his websites Q and A section?
I dont understand the palm oil being there, isnt that more saturated than milk fat, beef fat, etc everything besides coconut oil? or similar to those ones. maybe its due to its carotene content?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
where was this from, was it on his websites Q and A section?
I dont understand the palm oil being there, isnt that more saturated than milk fat, beef fat, etc everything besides coconut oil? or similar to those ones. maybe its due to its carotene content?

I have been a bit confused as to Palm oil, palm fruit oil too, but his article on unsaturated oils cleared things up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211001-161943_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-161943_Samsung Internet.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 7
OP
Rinse & rePeat
So palm oil is out, and I would think Palm kernel oil would be out; being a seed oil, so what about palm fruit oil?