Hidden Nasties In Our Food

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks for that possibly life saving info Eberhardt!

"One of the most popular bras is the underwire model, but it may actually be the most health-damaging design. In “Can Wearing Your Bra Cause Cancer?” Dr. Joseph Mercola explains how the metal found in the underwire bra can act as an antenna, attracting electromagnetic fields (EMFs). Constant exposure to EMFs can cause molecular change in our cells, leading to possible cancer formation in the breasts.

If underwire bras are a go-to and not an easy option to give up, a healthy and beneficial fix would be to remove the metal wire and exchange it with plastic. This immediately lessons the chance of EMF being attracted to the body and could reduce the risk of breast cancer.

Additionally, constantly wearing a bra can form weak, underdeveloped pectoral muscles. This creates an undesirable response from the body’s natural ability to support the breasts, causing them to sag.

Good advice is to reduce the amount of time wearing a bra throughout the day. Many studies prove that women that wear bras less often or not at all have a significantly lower risk of breast cancer. Switch out underwire bras for a wireless style, or even camisoles with built-in bras that are less constricting. Let the body breathe."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
it sounds kind of woowoo but I think it makes sense. all conductive material that is not grounded work like that making the emfs effects stronger. A japanese research team found that beds with connected steel springs conduct tv-signals and this is probably the reason more people at least in the relevant countries at the time, get cancer on the right side then the left side of the body. Its the preferred side to sleep on. I mean sure I use metal buttons and stuff but to have more extensive amounts in so close to the skin every day, pluss pointed objects makes a more concentrated beam of emf.

I am safe on the mattress, replacing mine several years ago without springs. It is like a build-a-bed-in-a-box with organic layers as you wish.

Eberhardt

Thanks for that possibly life saving info Eberhardt!

"One of the most popular bras is the underwire model, but it may actually be the most health-damaging design. In “Can Wearing Your Bra Cause Cancer?” Dr. Joseph Mercola explains how the metal found in the underwire bra can act as an antenna, attracting electromagnetic fields (EMFs). Constant exposure to EMFs can cause molecular change in our cells, leading to possible cancer formation in the breasts.

If underwire bras are a go-to and not an easy option to give up, a healthy and beneficial fix would be to remove the metal wire and exchange it with plastic. This immediately lessons the chance of EMF being attracted to the body and could reduce the risk of breast cancer.

Additionally, constantly wearing a bra can form weak, underdeveloped pectoral muscles. This creates an undesirable response from the body’s natural ability to support the breasts, causing them to sag.

Good advice is to reduce the amount of time wearing a bra throughout the day. Many studies prove that women that wear bras less often or not at all have a significantly lower risk of breast cancer. Switch out underwire bras for a wireless style, or even camisoles with built-in bras that are less constricting. Let the body breathe."

Hah, Mr.Mercola!! :)
but yeah thats very on point. I agree its worth avoiding. no point of making it worse.

Eberhardt

I am safe on the mattress, replacing mine several years ago without springs. It is like a build-a-bed-in-a-box with organic layers as you wish.
ooh, nice! you can actually get away with the old ones by drilling a whole in it and grounding the metal with a wire but that sounds like a much better idea. I also try to avoid metal frames for the bed but have one temporarly now

OP
Rinse & rePeat
ooh, nice! you can actually get away with the old ones by drilling a whole in it and grounding the metal with a wire but that sounds like a much better idea. I also try to avoid metal frames for the bed but have one temporarly now
Since getting the off-gassing mattresses and toppers out of my life and buying organic cotton sheets and pillows, I now sleep so much better! Before i would have achy legs at night and really bad in the mornings, like flu aches.

Eberhardt

Since getting the off-gassing mattresses and toppers out of my life and buying organic cotton sheets and pillows, I now sleep so much better! Before i would have achy legs at night and really bad in the mornings, like flu aches.
thats nice!! I dont have special mattresses but even if the gassing never stops the amount in those more then 6 years old are much lower. :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
burn them :smile:???

Not bra burning time again! You're right, I will be stronger for it. Normal everyday life is like navigating a mine field now. Everytime I think I have perfected my diet and environment I get blindsided with something else.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
thats nice!! I dont have special mattresses but even if the gassing never stops the amount in those more then 6 years old are much lower. :)
That is true my old matress toppers from 7+ years ago did not give me the body aches and pains like the new ones! Even the electronics in the seats of new cars give me pack pain riding in them. It took me forever to figure this stuff out, with pain being enormous to nothing without a reason.

Eberhardt

Not bra burning time again! You're right, I will be stronger for it. Normal everyday life is like navigating a mine field now. Everytime I think I have perfected my diet and environment I get blindsided with something else.
know the feeling!! I wonder how much one should care. I stop at chaning all my metal buttons that has to be ok :P but I do think it has an end. Like with kitchen equipment - sure I know Peats best recommendation is glass cook-ware, but next best is everything in just stainless steel. Which I know have. bowls, frying pan everything. Wood and steal. And thats fine. I also use a castiron pan for some purposes even though it is not ideal due to iron leakage

Eberhardt

That is true my old matress toppers from 7+ years ago did not give me the body aches and pains like the new ones! Even the electronics in the seats of new cars give me pack pain riding in them. It took me forever to figure this stuff out, with pain being enormous to nothing without a reason.
I must go to sleep now but that might also be a second thing in addition. Now haidut mentioned good research showing endotoxin, serotonin and lower back pain to be connected which makes sense with gassing. but also the car seats makes a lot of static electricity due to friction so grounding the seat to the steal frame of the car helps also. but I dont doubt the gassing is contributing too.. I dont have electronics in my seat for that very reason. :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
know the feeling!! I wonder how much one should care. I stop at chaning all my metal buttons that has to be ok :P but I do think it has an end. Like with kitchen equipment - sure I know Peats best recommendation is glass cook-ware, but next best is everything in just stainless steel. Which I know have. bowls, frying pan everything. Wood and steal. And thats fine. I also use a castiron pan for some purposes even though it is not ideal due to iron leakage

Yeah metal buttons are probably being a little too worried. I got rid of all of my pots and pans and bought some magnetic steel pieces. Admittedly I miss my cast iron pan though.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I must go to sleep now but that might also be a second thing in addition. Now haidut mentioned good research showing endotoxin, serotonin and lower back pain to be connected which makes sense with gassing. but also the car seats makes a lot of static electricity due to friction so grounding the seat to the steal frame of the car helps also. but I dont doubt the gassing is contributing too.. I dont have electronics in my seat for that very reason. :)

I am as healthy as they come now for all of my swaps. It was more than worth the cost being pain free now! Thanks for all of your valuable input here!

P

Peatness

I also have suspected the chemicals in the synthetic fibers in bras causing breast cancer too. I got weird suspicious moles on my back that I linked back to synthetic cropped tank tops, because the moles were only where those tops touched my skin. My little dog developed abreast lump several months after laying on a new leather sofa. I got this terrible arm rash from the same sofa after months of sitting on it with my bare arms. I think the chemicals in furniture, car apholstry, bedding and clothing are maybe more toxic than anything we are eating! I got rid of most of my clothing that wasn't 100% cotton and was surprised, not only, how hard it is to get 100% cotton, but that cotton is full of chemicals and pesticides too!

Time to burn the bras, again :clown:

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"It's good to avoid fluoridated water as far as possible. Certain forms of bromine, including bromate and polybrominated biphenyls, are definitely toxic, but simple bromide isn't very toxic; it took large amounts of Bromo-Seltzer used for a long time to produce harmful effects, hundreds of milligrams per day. Seawater contains bromide, so all seafood contains a lot; milk and meat naturally contain it, because soil generally contains a moderate amount. A few of the promoters of large iodine supplements--Abraham, Flechas, and Brownstein--are giving a wrong impression of bromine." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is not hidden nasties in food, but this RP quote is very telling about how bad x-Rays really are!

From Mr Bollox
Q: Dr Peat where did you travel and when
Was it for work or for fun
Isnt there big risks to travelling via plane
SInce you have to go through Xrays and metal detectors and all those machines
Then the airplane itself...

A: "I haven’t gone near an airport since they got the x-ray machines and the guns. I always travel by car, ship or train. I don’t distinguish between work and fun." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Background: Food dyes, synthesized originally from coal tar and now petroleum, have long been controversial because of safety concerns. Many dyes have been banned because of their adverse effects on laboratory animals or inadequate testing.

Conclusions: This review finds that all of the nine currently US-approved dyes raise health concerns of varying degrees. Red 3 causes cancer in animals, and there is evidence that several other dyes also are carcinogenic. Three dyes (Red 40, Yellow 5, and Yellow 6) have been found to be contaminated with benzidine or other carcinogens. At least four dyes (Blue 1, Red 40, Yellow 5, and Yellow 6) cause hypersensitivity reactions. Numerous microbiological and rodent studies of Yellow 5 were positive for genotoxicity. Toxicity tests on two dyes (Citrus Red 2 and Orange B) also suggest safety concerns, but Citrus Red 2 is used at low levels and only on some Florida oranges and Orange B has not been used for several years. The inadequacy of much of the testing and the evidence for carcinogenicity, genotoxicity, and hypersensitivity, coupled with the fact that dyes do not improve the safety or nutritional quality of foods, indicates that all of the currently used dyes should be removed from the food supply and replaced, if at all, by safer colorings. It is recommended that regulatory authorities require better and independent toxicity testing, exercise greater caution regarding continued approval of these dyes, and in the future approve only well-tested, safe dyes." -https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23026007/

Eberhardt

I have finally gottwn around to testing small amounts of castoreum topically. I thunk the romans were on to something. It seems highly estrogenic. One application gave me severely cold hands and feet and some unpleasent feelings. (Countered a bit with sugar and coconut oil). And since musk is the same but from other animals I presume it's somewhat comparable Estrogenic Activity of Musk Fragrances Detected by the E-Screen Assay Using Human MCF-7 Cells - Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology