Hidden Nasties In Our Food

Eberhardt

castoreum is extremely valuable in perfume making
it has effects on flavors, and perfume mixing and scents...
it probably does something to the ice cream flavor, that simply applying strawberry juice wouldnt do
I know I mentioned this but whats so wrong about castoreum?? I know beaver is some places a protected species but in western europe at least beaver poaching is not a big problem. It has a several thousand probably years of use as medicine and perfume. I just ordered a skinsalve made from castoreum and bearfat from a swedish trapper. Only concern I have is wether it might have some antimetabolic (estrogenic) compounds but I will test for reactions incl temps pulse sleep and likes

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I know I mentioned this but whats so wrong about castoreum?? I know beaver is some places a protected species but in western europe at least beaver poaching is not a big problem. It has a several thousand probably years of use as medicine and perfume. I just ordered a skinsalve made from castoreum and bearfat from a swedish trapper. Only concern I have is wether it might have some antimetabolic (estrogenic) compounds but I will test for reactions incl temps pulse sleep and likes

Nothing is wrong from a perfume point of view, if you don't mind attracting other beavers, but ingesting it is just digusting :D

Dr. B

Nothing is wrong from a perfume point of view, if you don't mind attracting other beavers, but ingesting it is just digusting :D
i dont think its actually poop is it? doesnt it come from a gland nearby the anal gland? similar to deer musk?

where did you get such a product mate
youre going to eat it?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
i dont think its actually poop is it? doesnt it come from a gland nearby the anal gland? similar to deer musk?

where did you get such a product mate
youre going to eat it?

No it isn't poop. It is very pungent milky white secretion, and smells so terrible in dogs.

Eberhardt

I dont see any problem ingesting it either. It seems that its the actual glands that are used though, not the fluids. You can buy them dried online from east europe, but dont know the quality etc. Googlingnit gives a lomg list of vendors, many in alcohol solution.

I am not going to eat it but use it on my skin first. The salve is eatable though and I anyways prefer not to put anything I wouldnt eat on my skin. I got this one from trappern.se . Made a special preperation for me. So bearfat not vegetable oil. Very nice .

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I dont see any problem ingesting it either. It seems that its the actual glands that are used though, not the fluids. You can buy them dried online from east europe, but dont know the quality etc. Googlingnit gives a lomg list of vendors, many in alcohol solution.

I am not going to eat it but use it on my skin first. The salve is eatable though and I anyways prefer not to put anything I wouldnt eat on my skin. I got this one from trappern.se . Made a special preperation for me. So bearfat not vegetable oil. Very nice .

"When it comes to food, “natural” is usually a byword for “good”. But some natural products are a bit disgusting. For example, a natural flavouring called castoreum is a thick, odorous secretion obtained from the anal glands of beavers. It is used to give a vanilla flavour to some dairy products and desserts.

Towards the end of the 19th century, beavers were nearly hunted to extinction to acquire this highly desirable food additive and fragrance. Fortunately, German chemists discovered that vanillin (one of the chemicals responsible for the taste of vanilla) could be extracted from the humble conifer.

Today, synthetic vanillin accounts for about 94% of all vanilla flavouring used in the food industry (37,286 tons), with natural vanilla extract accounting for most of the remaining 6%. Beavers can heave a sigh of relief. Their contribution to the food industry now accounts for a tiny fraction of natural vanilla flavouring and tends to be limited to luxury foods and beverages."

I couldn't find anything on using the castor sacs. Interestingly in my search I discovered tha musk, used in perfumes is from deer anal sacs!

Eberhardt

"When it comes to food, “natural” is usually a byword for “good”. But some natural products are a bit disgusting. For example, a natural flavouring called castoreum is a thick, odorous secretion obtained from the anal glands of beavers. It is used to give a vanilla flavour to some dairy products and desserts.

Towards the end of the 19th century, beavers were nearly hunted to extinction to acquire this highly desirable food additive and fragrance. Fortunately, German chemists discovered that vanillin (one of the chemicals responsible for the taste of vanilla) could be extracted from the humble conifer.

Today, synthetic vanillin accounts for about 94% of all vanilla flavouring used in the food industry (37,286 tons), with natural vanilla extract accounting for most of the remaining 6%. Beavers can heave a sigh of relief. Their contribution to the food industry now accounts for a tiny fraction of natural vanilla flavouring and tends to be limited to luxury foods and beverages."

I couldn't find anything on using the castor sacs. Interestingly in my search I discovered tha musk, used in perfumes is from deer anal sacs!
Theres tons of it usually among medical history stuff. also etsy and ebay is full of it. But I have never seen anyone use the secretion. No mention of it at all. It is true that beavers many places almost went extinct during the 1800's but that is true for many species as there was not much hunting restrictions based on species popuation before that time. Also it was not castoreum harvesting that caused this though that contributed a bit. It was mainl for meat and furs. And the use of castoerum was already dropping by that time. But vanilla being used instead of castoerum?? that sounds weird. Synthetic vanilla is now usually made in china from petroleum products to my knowledge and is used to replace real vanilla which is plant material, not castoerum. Sounds very funky all of it. Mush has several sources. the primary one used to be whales - maybe deer is replacing it ? (also I wonder why dog glands smell so awful- is it because they are predators??)

according to wikipedia I see now that even though castoreum proper is the secretions the way it was used (and still is) is by alcohol extraction of the whole gland or drying and powdering the glands. So even if the secretion is the musky part its used by using the whole gland. Like eating whole thyroid glands to get the thyroid hormones.

to make everyone sick I can tell that while female bever glands smells like blue cheese, male glands smells like diesel oil.

oh and I saw now that it can produce vanilla taste. But it has never been a major deliverer of vanilla, vanilla has been that so while synthetic vanilla has taken over that is only a side effect. It has mainly taken over from natural plant vanilla. Probably sometimes people used castoreum instead of real vanilla because it used to be cheap, just like they now use synthetic vanilla to replace real vanilla

Dr. B

i havent smelled real deer musk yet, would like to smell it
i heard castoreum is often used in strawberry raspberry ice creams

delicious!

also look up ambergris
i heard deer musk smells very interesting, one of the best scents, most complex

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Funny all I see is the secretions used, though I did see that the glands were used medicinally as you said. I saw castoriam is the secretion from the castor sac, which sits behind anal glands and the secretes are brown in color not white like anal gland secretions. I also read that the Roman's were using castorium...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-144318_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-144318_Samsung Internet.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 3

Eberhardt

Funny all I see is the secretions used, though I did see that the glands were used medicinally as you said. I saw castoriam is the secretion from the castor sac, which sits behind anal glands and the secretes are brown in color not white like anal gland secretions. I also read that the Roman's were using castorium...
Interesting. Its true about the "castor sac" (funny name "beaver bag") . I wonder how the romans supposedly got hold of the secretion in concentrataed form or if its just a misconception.
Hm. I hope that they were wrong about the abortion. If its true it could mean a strong estrogenic effect as thats what is responsible for abortions . Maybe just superstition though as it then should have been more effective eating it. Oh well. :)

Dr. B

Interesting. Its true about the "castor sac" (funny name "beaver bag") . I wonder how the romans supposedly got hold of the secretion in concentrataed form or if its just a misconception.
Hm. I hope that they were wrong about the abortion. If its true it could mean a strong estrogenic effect as thats what is responsible for abortions . Maybe just superstition though as it then should have been more effective eating it. Oh well. :)
whats real deer musk smell like

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Oh I hadn't thought of that abortion estrogen angle! I wonder now about the estrogens in perfumes and colognes?

Eberhardt

Oh I hadn't thought of that abortion estrogen angle! I wonder now about the estrogens in perfumes and colognes?
They are problematic... they both overburden the liver and has a hormone disruptive effect. Its interesting that breastcancer in women usually appears in the part closest to the armpit where there is often deodorant applied

OP
Rinse & rePeat
They are problematic... they both overburden the liver and has a hormone disruptive effect. Its interesting that breastcancer in women usually appears in the part closest to the armpit where there is often deodorant applied

I also have suspected the chemicals in the synthetic fibers in bras causing breast cancer too. I got weird suspicious moles on my back that I linked back to synthetic cropped tank tops, because the moles were only where those tops touched my skin. My little dog developed abreast lump several months after laying on a new leather sofa. I got this terrible arm rash from the same sofa after months of sitting on it with my bare arms. I think the chemicals in furniture, car apholstry, bedding and clothing are maybe more toxic than anything we are eating! I got rid of most of my clothing that wasn't 100% cotton and was surprised, not only, how hard it is to get 100% cotton, but that cotton is full of chemicals and pesticides too!

Attachments

• 20190317_123834.jpg
    20190317_123834.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 2

Eberhardt

I also have suspected the chemicals in the synthetic fibers in bras causing breast cancer too. I got weird suspicious moles on my back that I linked back to synthetic cropped tank tops, because the moles were only where those tops touched my skin. My little dog developed abreast lump several months after laying on a new leather sofa. I got this terrible arm rash from the same sofa after months of sitting on it with my bare arms. I think the chemicals in furniture, car apholstry, bedding and clothing are maybe more toxic than anything we are eating! I got rid of most of my clothing that wasn't 100% cotton and was surprised, not only, how hard it is to get 100% cotton, but that cotton is full of chemicals and pesticides too!

ouch!! but I tend to agree. Or hard to say if it is worse- guess it depends but might be. I never had so strong a reaction as when visiting a friend with a new sofa as well as freshly painted in a city . I got extremly emf sensitive and so strong headaches and toothache that I almost had to go to the ER.

about the bras, yeah thats possible. also its not to good to have the metal spikes that some have (bras) like old spring beds they sort of work like emf antennas if you are not barefoot

OP
Rinse & rePeat
ouch!! but I tend to agree. Or hard to say if it is worse- guess it depends but might be. I never had so strong a reaction as when visiting a friend with a new sofa as well as freshly painted in a city . I got extremly emf sensitive and so strong headaches and toothache that I almost had to go to the ER.

about the bras, yeah thats possible. also its not to good to have the metal spikes that some have (bras) like old spring beds they sort of work like emf antennas if you are not barefoot

Oh I didn't know that! What the heck?!!

Eberhardt

Oh I didn't know that! What the heck?!!
it sounds kind of woowoo but I think it makes sense. all conductive material that is not grounded work like that making the emfs effects stronger. A japanese research team found that beds with connected steel springs conduct tv-signals and this is probably the reason more people at least in the relevant countries at the time, get cancer on the right side then the left side of the body. Its the preferred side to sleep on. I mean sure I use metal buttons and stuff but to have more extensive amounts in so close to the skin every day, pluss pointed objects makes a more concentrated beam of emf.