Hidden Nasties In Our Food

gaze

Short of living off grid and having total control of your land, water and food supply (likely not even possible now), literally nothing is safe anymore! It’s really just a case of putting the work in to identify the least worst option of what we want/need and mitigating all this stuff as best we can.
at least your in europe. the US has much worse regulation than the EU. there's thousands of chemicals allowed in the US that are banned in the EU.

do you know if after brexit the UK will be deregulating? wasn't there a recently scandal of american chicken being sold which has chemicals which were previously banned ?

edit: it was chlorinated chicken

Sefton10

at least your in europe. the US has much worse regulation than the EU. there's thousands of chemicals allowed in the US that are banned in the EU.

do you know if after brexit the UK will be deregulating? wasn't there a recently scandal of american chicken being sold which has chemicals which were previously banned ?

edit: it was chlorinated chicken
The chlorinated chicken was the one that got a lot of air time but I haven't heard about it much since. It seems the biggest impact so far is on the supply chain with customs checks and a lot of lorry drivers moving back to Europe. There are lots more local and small scale producers now that often deliver nationally, people just need to do the work to seek them out and support them rather than defaulting to the big supermarket chains. Unfortunately, convenience usually trumps all for most people.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It is disheartening. Really having your own cow to filter out the impurities in water and food is the only optimal way. I would feel bad for the cow though :/

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The chlorinated chicken was the one that got a lot of air time but I haven't heard about it much since. It seems the biggest impact so far is on the supply chain with customs checks and a lot of lorry drivers moving back to Europe. There are lots more local and small scale producers now that often deliver nationally, people just need to do the work to seek them out and support them rather than defaulting to the big supermarket chains. Unfortunately, convenience usually trumps all for most people.

That is exactly what I am going, being a monthly subscriber to farms. I have three of them. It is nice too because there is no middle man so I get better quality meat than the grocery store for less than, and with a subscrition shipping is free. Why would I do it?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Eeuuwww!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210830-191219_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210830-191219_Samsung Internet.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 13

Ell

Has anyone yet brought up.... kainic and quisqualic acids .... "hidden" in foods ? Just when ya didn't quite have enough to worry about, along comes another zinger !! LOL, such a minefield eating sometimes poses.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Has anyone yet brought up.... kainic and quisqualic acids .... "hidden" in foods ? Just when ya didn't quite have enough to worry about, along comes another zinger !! LOL, such a minefield eating sometimes poses.

I never heard of it! Oh no!

Eberhardt

Hmm. I see they are neurotoxic but how would one eat them. I find only that the occur in an obscure tree and two japanese seaweeds. Quisqualic acid have no listed uses outside of research, and kainic acid only as a deworming agent

LucyL

That is exactly what I am going, being a monthly subscriber to farms. I have three of them. It is nice too because there is no middle man so I get better quality meat than the grocery store for less than, and with a subscrition shipping is free. Why would I do it?
That sounds great! Can you give more information about the farm monthly subscriptions?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That sounds great! Can you give more information about the farm monthly subscriptions?
I get my three from:
crowdcow.com
northstarbison.com
farmfreshtoyou.com

There are so many of them. Just do an internet search for "meat monthly subscription box". Here is a link with some others.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Between the first and second world wars, cod liver oil was recommended as a vitamin supplement, at first as a source of vitamin A, and later as a source of vitamins A and D. But in the late 1940s, experimenters used it as the main fat in dogs' diet, and found that they all died from cancer, while the dogs on a standard diet had only a 5% cancer mortality. That sort of information, and the availability of synthetic vitamins, led to the decreased use of cod liver oil."
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“All phases of development, gestation to aging, are altered by the presence of unsaturated fats" Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here was a hidden nasty in my food last night! I marinated bamboo shoots and found this one, which looked like a bug
that had burrowed inside the bamboo! I put it up to a flashlight and you could see a segmented body, of what looked like larvae, and it had a pointed head. Blech!

Attachments

• 20210905_235513.jpg
    20210905_235513.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 4
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Aha! This looks like what I almost ate in my bamboos shoots! Beware!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210911-123821_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210911-123821_Samsung Internet.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 12

J.R.K

"Since Stefansson's observations nearly a century ago, most Americans have become accustomed to the taste of half-spoiled meat, as part of the process of adapting to an industrial-commercial food system. Tests done by food technologists have found that most Americans prefer the taste of synthetic strawberry flavor in ice cream to the taste of ice cream made with real strawberries. If it took Stefansson only a few weeks to become fond of rotten fish, it isn't surprising that the public would, over a period of many decades, learn to enjoy a diet of stale foods and imitation foods." -Ray Peat

Our food supply nowadays is a hot mess! We just don't know what we don't know, so how to know what to ask? Everyone knows a little something, and we all need to start telling what we know! This thread is a good place to start talking! Ok I'll go first! Beaver butt juice is in a variety of our foods!

It is legal and has been going on for decades. Food makers don't have to be specific about it and disguise their practices under the label "natural flavoring", but it is really called "Castoreum".

"Castoreum is exudate from the castor sacs of the mature Northern Beaver and the European Beaver. It is a yellowish secretion that combines with the beaver’s urine, used during scent marking of territory. Both male and female beavers possess a pair of castor sacs and a pair of anal glands. And amazingly enough, this secretion is now commonly used in perfumes and as a food additives!" Isn't this the same kind of stuff we are paying out pet groomers to extract from our little dogs?

"It is often used as part of a substitute for vanilla, strawberry, and raspberry flavoring."

How does anybody ever come up with eating something like this? Even Chef Jamie Oliver has tried to put an end to the use of Castoreum!

"The exact definition of natural flavors from the Code of Federal Regulations reads: “The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood,"

According to a detailed ingredient report by Be Food Smart, Castoreum can be found in many products which include alcoholic beverages, baked goods, chewing gum, candy, beverages, pudding, gelatin, ice cream, vanilla flavoring and raspberry flavored foods.

Fortunately Castoreum has gotten expensive so it is used less nowadays, but nevertheless it is still used and a little goes a long way! So now it is a game of hide and seek! Castoreum is not kosher so you are safe from it in kosher products like Haagen Daz ice cream!

What else are we eating that we wouldn't be if we knew what is in it?

Wow! @Rinse & rePeat ! I was looking for something to brighten my day, the phrase,” beaver butt juice”, was something that I thought would get me there. Way to under deliver!!
But a great post and a topic well worth discussion!!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow! @Rinse & rePeat ! I was looking for something to brighten my day, the phrase,” beaver butt juice”, was something that I thought would get me there. Way to under deliver!!
But a great post and a topic well worth discussion!!

Yeah beaver butt juice is no joke. Head over to my "Our Happy Music Depository" to brighten your day! It is a really cheerful place to be! I think I am going over there right now to hear some new happy tunes!

Dr. B

Yeah beaver butt juice is no joke. Head over to my "Our Happy Music Depository" to brighten your day! It is a really cheerful place to be! I think I am going over there right now to hear some new happy tunes!
castoreum is extremely valuable in perfume making
it has effects on flavors, and perfume mixing and scents...
it probably does something to the ice cream flavor, that simply applying strawberry juice wouldnt do