Hidden Nasties In Our Food

OP
Rinse & rePeat
yeah they say its safe in small amounts but its not true, many of these things were never present in foods before, and "small amount" is all relative and subjective, milligrams and micrograms of things can still have very powerful effects. basically any milk that lists vitamin d3 and vitamin A in the ingredients also has propylene glycol and polysorbate 80 as hidden ingredients which don't have to be listed because they're part of the vitamin mixture. the ingredients in the mixture dont need to be listed, only the vitamins themselves do.
polysorbate 80, is the emulsifier iirc and propylene glycol is the preservative for the vitamin mixture.
So my nonfat grass fed Strauss milk says vitamin A Palmitate?

Last edited:

Dr. B

So my nonfat grass fed Straus says vitamin A Palmitate?
what is that.
yeah its highly likely got propylene glycol, ask them if theyll send you the ingredients label details for the actual mixture of the vitamins they add to the milk. its industry standard to use propylene glycol and polysorbate 80.
you should be able to notice some differences after switching to a vitamin free whole milk... maybe depends how sensitive you are to those things and how much milk you drink

OP
Rinse & rePeat
what is that.
yeah its highly likely got propylene glycol, ask them if theyll send you the ingredients label details for the actual mixture of the vitamins they add to the milk. its industry standard to use propylene glycol and polysorbate 80.
you should be able to notice some differences after switching to a vitamin free whole milk... maybe depends how sensitive you are to those things and how much milk you drink

I edited my last one to clarify, milk. I am not having any issues, but I don' wantcto acquire issues from drinking it all the time either.

Dr. B

I edited my last one to clarify, milk. I am not having any issues, but I don' wantcto acquire issues from drinking it all the time either.
the vitamin A supplements are questionable anyway...
plus who knows if theres some unknown value to the fat in the milk...
if your metabolism is faster you may not react much to food allergens

Sefton10

This 20+ minute video is about the plastics that are are found in our bottled waters. After watching, I think it is best to filter our own and pack it to go from home.

View: https://youtu.be/I75qa0kTeY4

Just looked on our tap water supplier's website to see what the quality is like. Quite interesting to see the breakdown. My worry is things like SSRIs, birth control and other medications that I imagine work their way into the system.

1628748315838.png

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Just looked on our tap water supplier's website to see what the quality is like. Quite interesting to see the breakdown. My worry is things like SSRIs, birth control and other medications that I imagine work their way into the system.

View attachment 26542

That is a really nasty list of stuff in the water, and birth control in water sounds sickening! ? I think the best advice I have heard about how to avoid it, is from Ray Peat, saying let the cow filter it all out, and drink milk for hydration.

Dr. B

That is a really nasty list of stuff in the water, and birth control in water sounds sickening! ? I think the best advice I have heard about how to avoid it, is from Ray Peat, saying let the cow filter it all out, and drink milk for hydration.
yea but thats a half gallon milk a day at least,
but yeah half gallon milk, pint of coconut water, pint of organic orange juice, should cover all the fluid needs... i think coconut water and OJ are some other good ones... any fruit juice should be good if organic...

Sefton10

I think the best advice I have heard about how to avoid it, is from Ray Peat, saying let the cow filter it all out, and drink milk for hydration.
but yeah half gallon milk, pint of coconut water, pint of organic orange juice, should cover all the fluid needs
That’s pretty much where I’m at. Goat milk and organic OJ the backbone and I’ll buy coconut water when it’s on offer. The only time I use water now is to make bone broth. We tend to get mineral water in glass bottles for that.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
yea but thats a half gallon milk a day at least,
but yeah half gallon milk, pint of coconut water, pint of organic orange juice, should cover all the fluid needs... i think coconut water and OJ are some other good ones... any fruit juice should be good if organic...

There you go! Invest if possible in a gravity filter. It is the best investment in anyone's future. Where, in the past, I worryied about natural disasters, and water. I can now go to a dirty pond down the street and bring back water and my filter will make it clean.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So annoying when we’re out with the dog and people we bump into give him a ‘treat’ without asking.
Yeah I can see that. Of course they mean well, but why not ask permission first? It like like blatently handing a Twinkie to your kid.

I use to get chicken treats for my fluffy girl made in China, from Costco 7 or so years ago. At the same time she was doing a LOT of vomiting. I never connected her health issues to those treats until seeing a headline like this one I posted.

Dr. B

Yeah I can see that. Of course they mean well, but why not ask permission first? It like like blatently handing a Twinkie to your kid.

I use to get chicken treats for my fluffy girl made in China, from Costco 7 or so years ago. At the same time she was doing a LOT of vomiting. I never connected her health issues to those treats until seeing a headline like this one I posted.
what do you mean made in China? Dog was from China?

OP
Rinse & rePeat

View attachment 26542

Here is to your birth control in drinking water point Sefton! I knew antibiotics and other drugs are in our water, but I hadn't thought about women excreting birth control into our water. I wonder what the repercussion of that are?

"Natural estrogens, from human urine, enter the rivers from sewage. Many tons of synthetic and pharmaceutical estrogens, administered to menopausal women in quantities much larger than their bodies ever produced metabolically, are being added to the rivers." -Ray Peat

Eberhardt

Here is to your birth control in drinking water point Sefton! I knew antibiotics and other drugs are in our water, but I hadn't thought about women excreting birth control into our water. I wonder what the repercussion of that are?

"Natural estrogens, from human urine, enter the rivers from sewage. Many tons of synthetic and pharmaceutical estrogens, administered to menopausal women in quantities much larger than their bodies ever produced metabolically, are being added to the rivers." -Ray Peat
add cocaine and the ssri's that is disturbing behaviour among crustacians accordng to haidut. In Norway the river Nid in Trondheim now has so much coke ending in the sewers going into the river that cocain is now detectable in the river

OP
Rinse & rePeat
add cocaine and the ssri's that is disturbing behaviour among crustacians accordng to haidut. In Norway the river Nid in Trondheim now has so much coke ending in the sewers going into the river that cocain is now detectable in the river

Whaaat?! That is shocker too!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Holy cow! Cocaine is found in shrimp from the UK and anti-depressants are found in shrimp too!

"This isn't the first time scientists have found drugs in aquatic animals. Mussels in Seattle's Puget Sound had traces of oxycodone in them, and eels in London's Thames river may have been affected by cocaine in the water."

Sefton10

Holy cow! Cocaine is found in shrimp from the UK and anti-depressants are found in shrimp too!

"This isn't the first time scientists have found drugs in aquatic animals. Mussels in Seattle's Puget Sound had traces of oxycodone in them, and eels in London's Thames river may have been affected by cocaine in the water."

Short of living off grid and having total control of your land, water and food supply (likely not even possible now), literally nothing is safe anymore! It’s really just a case of putting the work in to identify the least worst option of what we want/need and mitigating all this stuff as best we can.