Hidden Nasties In Our Food

Eberhardt

what are you saying about beaver anal glands? do you mean castoreum? i think thats a big ingredient in perfume making as well as some food products. its an emulsifier or it apparently exaggerates flavors and scents.
I was just quoting one of the earlier comments mentioning it. I belive you are right yes

OP
Rinse & rePeat
First part of my message somehow got hidden at the end of the quote above .

But about this thread. Its an important thread and I know Peat's said that his first line of treatment in the 60s and 70s was gettng peope of their supplements. It had very good results :)

I still dont think that the examples here are good examples. Whats wrong with beaver anal glands haha I thought that was good news at its usually made from petroleum production waste products in china. ANd bugs?? whats the problem with that. I know that when they cleaned up the flour production in India some 20 years ago and stopped handmilling there was an epidemic of b12 deficiancy. Due to the high number of vegetarins and vegans they had been dependent on the up to 8% mixture of bugs in the flour. Rat sewage isnt to good as they can spread some diseases I think - not that I know - guess it depends on how the product is treated afterwards. I think we should rather worry (or be concerned - worrying isnt helpful lol) about the synthetic stuff that goes in everything. From silisium and titanium oxide to chalk and sweeteners and what not. And bleach and processing leftovers. Or that the citric acid usually used is made from mold and can trigger alleriges and that if the level of additives is under a certain level they are not required to be listed. 90% of supplements checked does not have what it says on the ingredients list in them /or have other stuff as well according to the tests thats being done. that will be enough for now *chuckle* .

Lots of this can be avoided by cooking at home though
? Oh only you would come up with beaver anal glands being a good thing! I can see your point it being organic, but seeing that come out of my dog's rear end is too much to fathom, just give me some more crickets! ?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah I didn't see this so I reposted it for you Eberhardt...

I have a similar story. Not as gross but still. My grandfather was fond of coconut candy but he could not really get himself to eat it without flinching. When he was a kid in the 1910's he used to see how the coconutflakes was stored down at the harbour. They would lie in huge piles on the ground and in the summer the rats would have a party there at night. He thought it problably had improved when he told me in the 1980's though. Maybe - probably in Norway as we have sort of strict sanitary rules.

Eberhardt

Yeah I didn't see this so I reposted it for you Eberhardt...

I have a similar story. Not as gross but still. My grandfather was fond of coconut candy but he could not really get himself to eat it without flinching. When he was a kid in the 1910's he used to see how the coconutflakes was stored down at the harbour. They would lie in huge piles on the ground and in the summer the rats would have a party there at night. He thought it problably had improved when he told me in the 1980's though. Maybe - probably in Norway as we have sort of strict sanitary rules.

Eberhardt

? Oh only you would come up with beaver anal glands being a good thing! I can see your point it being organic, but seeing that come out of my dog's rear end is too much to fathom, just give me some more crickets! ?
hahaha I hoped everbody enjoyed that. I've had dogs as well ;) -:beaver: O

OP
Rinse & rePeat
hahaha I hoped everbody enjoyed that. I've had dogs as well ;) -:beaver: O
Did you read the attached story about the woman who drank a Castoreum liquor and the smell was still coming out of her pores even after showering? I wonder what would have happened if she came across a pack of dogs?

Eberhardt

Now i did ? - I knew about the liqour though "Bäverhöjt! " (not beverhojt).
1625941205824.png

Here is a picture of the glands lying for extraction for liquor-use :) mmmmm.......

if anyone wants some you can order here.....:BVR HJT Bävergäll | Systembolaget

but there is some misinformation there. The beaver did not get extinct in sweden due to gland harvesting. It was that too but just as much for meat and fur, not to mention that the problem happened in the early 1800s as agricultur become more industrial so their natural habitats disappeared.

Its interesting that castoreum is actually a quite peaty substance. It is used as an anticeptic and is based on salicylates - making it akin to aspirin. It was mainly used as a salve to use on skin problems, rashes etc. You can actually still buy it - I think I might try it just for fun: Trapperns antiseptiska Bäversalva - Annonser säljes annonser

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Now i did ? - I knew about the liqour though "Bäverhöjt! " (not beverhojt). View attachment 25145

Here is a picture of the glands lying for extraction for liquor-use :) mmmmm.......

if anyone wants some you can order here.....:BVR HJT Bävergäll | Systembolaget

but there is some misinformation there. The beaver did not get extinct in sweden due to gland harvesting. It was that too but just as much for meat and fur, not to mention that the problem happened in the early 1800s as agricultur become more industrial so their natural habitats disappeared.

Its interesting that castoreum is actually a quite peaty substance. It is used as an anticeptic and is based on salicylates - making it akin to aspirin. It was mainly used as a salve to use on skin problems, rashes etc. You can actually still buy it - I think I might try it just for fun: Trapperns antiseptiska Bäversalva - Annonser säljes annonser
Hmmmm Peaty huh? You are very convincing! Maybe if I wasn't gonna smell beaver butt for days I could take a sip on a dare. Would you?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
First part of my message somehow got hidden at the end of the quote above .

But about this thread. Its an important thread and I know Peat's said that his first line of treatment in the 60s and 70s was gettng peope of their supplements. It had very good results :)

I still dont think that the examples here are good examples. Whats wrong with beaver anal glands haha I thought that was good news at its usually made from petroleum production waste products in china. ANd bugs?? whats the problem with that. I know that when they cleaned up the flour production in India some 20 years ago and stopped handmilling there was an epidemic of b12 deficiancy. Due to the high number of vegetarins and vegans they had been dependent on the up to 8% mixture of bugs in the flour. Rat sewage isnt to good as they can spread some diseases I think - not that I know - guess it depends on how the product is treated afterwards. I think we should rather worry (or be concerned - worrying isnt helpful lol) about the synthetic stuff that goes in everything. From silisium and titanium oxide to chalk and sweeteners and what not. And bleach and processing leftovers. Or that the citric acid usually used is made from mold and can trigger alleriges and that if the level of additives is under a certain level they are not required to be listed. 90% of supplements checked does not have what it says on the ingredients list in them /or have other stuff as well according to the tests thats being done. that will be enough for now *chuckle* .

Lots of this can be avoided by cooking at home though

So the b-12 sufficiency was because there were no more bugs in the suppliment?

Eberhardt

Hmmmm Peaty huh? You are very convincing! Maybe if I wasn't gonna smell beaver butt for days I could take a sip on a dare. Would you?
not presently. I have som liver issues so no alcohol. one glass have given me 3 days hangover!:p: so I think I rather go for the salve.
So the b-12 sufficiency was because there were no more bugs in the suppliment?
no not the supplement. the flour :)

but on the subject of the glands. It was used as libidoenhancement, anti fever, anti toothache, antiseptic, anti reumathoid and anti anxiety. All consistence with salicylates. But it also contains pheromones. so according to what I can see dogs like the smell but more likely you'll attract beavers..... I think I have to try the salve. Most nowadays are synthetic but this was made by a northern swedish trapper with just the natural ingredients and wild caught (legal) beaverglands.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
not presently. I have som liver issues so no alcohol. one glass have given me 3 days hangover!:p: so I think I rather go for the salve.

no not the supplement. the flour :)

but on the subject of the glands. It was used as libidoenhancement, anti fever, anti toothache, antiseptic, anti reumathoid and anti anxiety. All consistence with salicylates. But it also contains pheromones. so according to what I can see dogs like the smell but more likely you'll attract beavers..... I think I have to try the salve. Most nowadays are synthetic but this was made by a northern swedish trapper with just the natural ingredients and wild caught (legal) beaverglands.
Ohhhh! The flour! So my castoreum euwww is now a good idea for you? Let me know if the salve works.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It turned out it is!! I will but might take some time to get around to it!! He lives in sweden and I'm a bit busy these days
If you run across it again in the future can you send me that Ray Peat suppliment quote you posted above?

Eberhardt

sorry I know this was a double post but not at the moment able to remove it

Last edited:

Eberhardt

If you run across it again in the future can you send me that Ray Peat suppliment quote you posted above?
Now I'm confused. Never had or used it but wanting to try it. If it works well or you want to try it I might be able to assist though. I dont know what ray peat quote? :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Now I'm confused. Never had or used it but wanting to try it. If it works well or you want to try it I might be able to assist though. I dont know what ray peat quote? :)
I know these threads can get confusing. It was this one...

"I know Peat's said that his first line of treatment in the 60s and 70s was gettng peope of their supplements. It had very good results :)"

Eberhardt

"I know Peat's said that his first line of treatment in the 60s and 70s was gettng peope of their supplements. It had very good results :)"
oh that one. its more of a parafraze but very close to what he said. its from several interviews with danny roddy. I'll see if I can find one just quickly

Dr. B

was related to vitamin C supplements poor quality. he was at some clinic in oregon, these people had allergy symptoms, ray himself had allergy symptoms from vitamin c. he had these people drop all supplements an their allergies went away.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals