Hidden Nasties In Our Food

Dr. B

Just speculating, but how many of the phytoestrogens are really left in the oil after the refining process? Probably not enough to have a distinct effect. I believe, like you said, that he was referring to the unsaturated fats being the problem. Not that added estrogens are good, but any PUFA is going to have the negative effects, based on Ray's teachings.
the soy oil is the worst, you can eat many grams of fish oil, peanut butter, sunflower oil and not get an estrogenic response whereas the same amount of soy oil can cause estrogenic effects like itchy/painful nipples etc

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Some of the unsaturated fats in fish are definitely less toxic than those in corn oil or soy oil, but that doesn't mean they are safe. Fifty years ago, it was found that a large amount of cod liver oil in dogs' diet increased their death rate from cancer by 20 times, from the usual 5% to 100%. A diet rich in fish oil causes intense production of toxic lipid peroxides, and has been observed to reduce a man's sperm count to zero. [H. Sinclair, Prog. Lipid Res. 25, 667, 1989.]" -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Saturated fatty acids terminate the stress reactions, polyunsaturated fatty acids amplify them." -Ray Peat

Dr. B

"Saturated fatty acids terminate the stress reactions, polyunsaturated fatty acids amplify them." -Ray Peat
good stuff
as far as excess sugar turning to fat does it turn to monounsaturated fat or saturated fat depending on metabolism and tempetature, with higher metabolisms turning sugars to saturated fat whereas low metabolism people turn the sugars to MUFA?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The good thing about fish oil is that it’s so unstable that most of it doesn’t survive to reach your bloodstream where it would inhibit your thyroid function; so it breaks down into other compounds which are actually toxic, and the first thing you see affected is the immune system. The breakdown products of the spontaneously oxidizing fish oil include acrolein, which is a carcinogen, and ethane which you can measure on the breath after people eat fish oil. But several of these toxic breakdown products are immunosuppressive, so they have an antiinflammatory effect that in the short run makes them seem beneficial.” Ray Peat (audio interview)

Dr. B

“The good thing about fish oil is that it’s so unstable that most of it doesn’t survive to reach your bloodstream where it would inhibit your thyroid function; so it breaks down into other compounds which are actually toxic, and the first thing you see affected is the immune system. The breakdown products of the spontaneously oxidizing fish oil include acrolein, which is a carcinogen, and ethane which you can measure on the breath after people eat fish oil. But several of these toxic breakdown products are immunosuppressive, so they have an antiinflammatory effect that in the short run makes them seem beneficial.” Ray Peat (audio interview)
where was this from
does he mean most doesnt survive as in survive the digestion process
or does he mean most doesnt survive the bottling, encapsulating, storage process...
there are a few fish oil products which actually add vitamin E or mixed tocopherols as preservatives/antioxidants
maybe people taking those fish oil products dont seem to get noticeable toxic effects because they're only using one or two grams a day, or maybe its because they use products with added vitamin E or c? there are a lot of healthy looking fitness people who take their daily fish oil
if its these vitamin E added products, they may not even be noticing much negatives due to that

OP
Rinse & rePeat
where was this from
does he mean most doesnt survive as in survive the digestion process
or does he mean most doesnt survive the bottling, encapsulating, storage process...
there are a few fish oil products which actually add vitamin E or mixed tocopherols as preservatives/antioxidants
maybe people taking those fish oil products dont seem to get noticeable toxic effects because they're only using one or two grams a day, or maybe its because they use products with added vitamin E or c? there are a lot of healthy looking fitness people who take their daily fish oil
if its these vitamin E added products, they may not even be noticing much negatives due to that

I took fish oil daily for 10+ years and it did wonders for my skin, but it brewed a lot of problems internally. I would be literally fearful to ingest it again. Most things have pros and cons, but the pros need to outweigh the cons to really be a good thing, and toxic rancid PUFA ridden fish oil doesn't make it to the next level.

Dr. B

I took fish oil daily for 10+ years and it did wonders for my skin, but it brewed a lot of problems internally. I would be literally fearful to ingest it again. Most things have pros and cons, but the pros need to outweigh the cons to really be a good thing, and toxic rancid PUFA ridden fish oil doesn't make it to the next level.
how did it improve your skin and what were the ingredients?
doesnt fish consumption actually encourage creation of lipofuscin which grossens the skin?
how much were you using?
theres so many fitness people using it who look very good, the reason has to be that the dosage is small, they come in 500mg or 1g capsules...
also one of Rays articles said its the ratio of SFA to pufa thats more important than overall intake of either

OP
Rinse & rePeat
how did it improve your skin and what were the ingredients?
doesnt fish consumption actually encourage creation of lipofuscin which grossens the skin?
how much were you using?
theres so many fitness people using it who look very good, the reason has to be that the dosage is small, they come in 500mg or 1g capsules...
also one of Rays articles said its the ratio of SFA to pufa thats more important than overall intake of either

It have always bought highest quality suppliments so my fish oil years weren't cheap. I don't know the brands anymore as it has beenb1p+ years since taking them. I know I used two one cod and one krill, but I don't know which one came first. My skin look healthy when I took it. My skin had always been very oily until taking fish oil.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The sulfites (sodium bisulfite, potassium metabisulfite, etc.) have been used as preservatives in foods and drugs for a long time, even though they were known to cause intense allergic reactions in some people. Fresh vegetables and fish, dried fruits, ham and other preserved meats, hominy, pickles, canned vegetables and juices, and wines were commonly treated with large amounts of the sulfites to prevent darkening and the development of unpleasant odors. People with asthma were known to be more sensitive than other people, but the sulfites could cause a fatal asthma-like attack even in someone who had never had asthma. Even when this was known, drugs used to treat asthma were preserved with sulfites. Was the information just slow to reach the people who made the products? No, the manufacturers knew about the deadly nature of their products, but they kept on selling them. The FDA didn't answer letters on the subject, and medical magazines such as J.A.M.A. declined to publish even brief letters seriously discussing the issue. Obviously, since many people died from what the drug companies called "paradoxical bronchoconstriction" when they used the products, the drug companies had to be protected from lawsuits, and the medical magazines and the government regulators did that through the control of information.

I think a similar situation exists now in relation to the effects of carrageenan." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The most highly unsaturated fats found in fish oil break down into chemicals that block the use of glucose and oxygen." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You just think it is but even newborn babies had endocrine disrupting chemicals in their blood.

Well of course, that is exactly what I have been posting in my "No Wonder Babies Are Always Sick" thread. What mothers ingest and are environmentally exposed to get passed on for even generations. My mom took DES when she was pregnant with me, and while others who had been exposed to it too died many years ago and many as childen died as well, my dad gave me brewers yeast and raw honey EVERY day, made homemade yogurt and ice cream, made me eat beef liver, and dove into the ocean himself to bring back shellfish. It made a huge difference in reversing what should have killed me. I don't know that if he just gave me a lab made suppliment that my outcome would be even close to the same. Today I am the healthiest person I know at 58 years old.

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"When babies are imprinted by the mother's diuretics, by milk substitutes, and by industrial effluents, the worst effects are likely to be seen decades later, or even generations later." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Brain Damage And Lipid Peroxidation: When pregnant mice were fed either coconut oil or unsaturated seed oil, the mice that got coconut oil had babies with normal brains and intelligence, but the mice exposed to the unsaturated oil had smaller brains, and had inferior intelligence. In another experiment, radioactively labeled soy oil was given to nursing rats, and it was shown to be massively incorporated into brain cells, and to cause visible structural changes in the cells. In 1980, shortly after this study was published in Europe, the U.S. Department of Agriculture issued a recommendation against the use of soy oil in infant formulas. More recently, [68] pregnant rats and their offspring were given soy lecithin with their food, and the exposed offspring developed sensorimotor defects. This suggests that the optimal EFA intake might be 0.5% or less." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"DES(diethyl stilbestrol) is one of the most notorious estrogens, because studies in humans revealed that its use during pregnancy not only caused cancer, miscarriages, blood clots, etc., in the women who used it, but also caused cancer, infertility, and deformities in their children, and even in their grandchildren. (But those transgenerational effects are not unique to it." -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals