HFCS

Destiny

What is so bad about HFCS? The GI is about same as sucrose and both are a mix of fructose and glucose?

J

j.

A long time ago I wrote RP about it. Here is our slightly edited exchange.

Me:

A few years ago, I started having fast heart rate, palpitations, slurred speech, and difficulty to concentrate after eating certain foods (the first event occurred after eating Oreo cookies with whole milk). About a year later I discovered by reading food labels that these reactions were always preceded by consumption of high fructose corn syrup. E.g., if I drank Pepsi with regular sugar, nothing bad happened. If I drank Pepsi with HFCS, the symptoms appeared within minutes, and were very intense to a degree that left me unable to concentrate in my studies for about two hours. The Oreo cookies that preceded my first reaction contained HFCS.

RP:

I think [a few years ago] some of the HFCS factories were found to be leaving mercury in some of the sweetener, so that might be a possible explanation. But the normally produced HFCS contains a lot of starch-like material, besides the fructose and glucose, and I think that material would be able to cause allergic reactions.

cliff

It depends how you react to it, it can have some allergens as J mentioned.

I asked ray recently "Someone told me you drink HFCS coke regularly? do you think it is not
that harmful if someone is healthy?"
His reply-"I prefer Mexican coke with real sugar (it tastes very different), but metabolically there isn't much difference."

OP
D

Destiny

Thanks..I was looking at some gummy bear like candy at Trader Joes and noticed corn syrup in all of them. Guess i have to stick with self made candy like the lemon kind in the recipe section..mercury doesn't sound like something I wanna mess with.

Interesting though that he says on one hand its not really much difference and on other hand that it contains a lot of starch like material.

Birdie

And the other thing could be that if you are going for weight loss, you might want to avoid the extra calories in HFCS. As I recall it's 4X the amount in table sugar??

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hi Rachel, welcome to the forum! :greenwave

nwo2012

Destiny said:
What is so bad about HFCS? The GI is about same as sucrose and both are a mix of fructose and glucose?

From a recent email exchange with RP

RP
Much of the current concern about the dangers of fructose is focussed on the cornstarch-derived high fructose corn syrup, HFCS. Many studies assume that its composition is nearly all fructose and glucose. However, Wahjudi, et al. (2010) analyzed samples of it before and after hydrolyzing it in acid, to break down other carbohydrates present in it. They found that the carbohydrate content was several times higher than the listed values. "The underestimation of carbohydrate content in beverages may be a contributing factor in the development of obesity in children," and it's especially interesting that so much of it is present in the form of starch-like materials.

RP
Corn syrup is something to avoid, because manufactured foods always contain contaminants, but it's not mong the worst additives.

I will continue to avoid it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
noblessoblige said:
Totally bummed about Mexican Coke.

What about?

gretchen

I'm wondering if anyone knows if HFCS can trigger headaches. My head has hurt since eating a few gbs Monday night. It's not debilitating but its been going on for days.

pboy

I never got a headache from it, but it makes me feel kinda weird...like a jittery stimulation...sort of energizing but unpleasant

Dutchie

pboy said:
I never got a headache from it, but it makes me feel kinda weird...like a jittery stimulation...sort of energizing but unpleasant

Yes,I experience this too....a very nervous energizing feeling. Besides the fact that HFCS/fructose is really my nemesis as it highly addicting,causes me to overeat/no satiety sense anymore while giving me a 'blissful feeling at the moment of eating' yet very quickly turnsaround towards anxiety,depression,digestive issues and major cravings.

gretchen

Actually, it is semi debilitating. It's still going on, despite having taken a ton of aspirin (at least 6) in the last 24 hours. Could it be lactic acid in yogurt instead? I'm in the middle of my period (if you can call a few drops of blood a period) so it could be estrogen related.

L

Lord Cola

Why would coke made with HFCS be not metabolically very different from Mexican coke (made with cane sugar) when HFCS has carbohydrate content several times higher than listed values, and contains contaminants?