Hey! This Forum Full Of Geniuses Has Helped Deliver Me From Sad Cripple To Super Saiyan

Aaron

I've encountered a few isolated Ray Peat concepts over the years but had never explored the full Ray Peat approach, and now that I have, it seems to coincide with every epiphany I've ever had about my own health.

Let me tell you my story. I'm 24 years old, but I've had major health problems since 16 when I suffered from severe acne and depression, the latter of which has followed me through life up until the last year or so (during which I still experienced depression but only in the context of a DUI ordeal).

I felt my health was improving during my first couple of years of college, during which I ate SAD (Standard American Diet) and lifted weights religiously, reaching a fairly shredded 6'5" 250 physique but I experienced a lot of fatigue and productivity issues. Having two botched appendicitis operations did not help with things and this is when I began losing faith in doctors.

In 2015, time off and a big ego while deadlifting resulted in a catastropic lower back injury and my health deteriorated again. For a couple years I could barely get out of bed. I had very little energy and felt hopeless. I developed mild gynecomastia and chronic digestive problems. Modern medicine was useless. Cycles of letrozole and tamoxifen and a marijuana addiction further robbed me of my health. I concluded, mostly from NutritionFacts.org info, that a mostly vegan diet with lots of nut butters, whole grains, and green smoothies would solve my problems. They became far worse. I'm sure I was promoting excess endotoxin, cortisol, estrogen and serotonin and hurting my thyroid, liver, and gut all along.

Despite reinjuring my back in a drunken car wreck in February 2017, my health has slowly returned and I attribute that primarily to a diet much higher in animal protein and lower in whole grains and vegetable oil.

Over the last several months I've become the best physical version of myself I've ever been, and I attribute that to a Ray Peat approach which I've much refined over the last couple of months. Lots of milk, lots of protein with a broad amino acid profile, lots of citrus, PUFA depletion, raw carrots, and the basic Peat supplements (aspirin, niacinimide, biotin, selenium, vitamin E) have been incredibly beneficial. Currently 6'5" 240 12% body fat, deadlifting over 500 pounds and benching 315 for reps with no pain whatsoever. I can even do backflips and back handsprings, which is kind of nuts for a never-athlete of my size. My grape-sized gynecomastia has completely gone away. I look and feel like I'd want to, and it makes me unbelievably happy, even though I am underemployed due to this journey lol.

The scientific knowledge on this forum goes a little too deep for me to contribute just yet, but I look forward to absorbing more and continuing to push the envelope with you fascinating bunch.

Thank you to anyone who reads this, and keep on Peating.

L

lollipop

I've encountered a few isolated Ray Peat concepts over the years but had never explored the full Ray Peat approach, and now that I have, it seems to coincide with every epiphany I've ever had about my own health.

Let me tell you my story. I'm 24 years old, but I've had major health problems since 16 when I suffered from severe acne and depression, the latter of which has followed me through life up until the last year or so (during which I still experienced depression but only in the context of a DUI ordeal).

I felt my health was improving during my first couple of years of college, during which I ate SAD (Standard American Diet) and lifted weights religiously, reaching a fairly shredded 6'5" 250 physique but I experienced a lot of fatigue and productivity issues. Having two botched appendicitis operations did not help with things and this is when I began losing faith in doctors.

In 2015, time off and a big ego while deadlifting resulted in a catastropic lower back injury and my health deteriorated again. For a couple years I could barely get out of bed. I had very little energy and felt hopeless. I developed mild gynecomastia and chronic digestive problems. Modern medicine was useless. Cycles of letrozole and tamoxifen and a marijuana addiction further robbed me of my health. I concluded, mostly from NutritionFacts.org info, that a mostly vegan diet with lots of nut butters, whole grains, and green smoothies would solve my problems. They became far worse. I'm sure I was promoting excess endotoxin, cortisol, estrogen and serotonin and hurting my thyroid, liver, and gut all along.

Despite reinjuring my back in a drunken car wreck in February 2017, my health has slowly returned and I attribute that primarily to a diet much higher in animal protein and lower in whole grains and vegetable oil.

Over the last several months I've become the best physical version of myself I've ever been, and I attribute that to a Ray Peat approach which I've much refined over the last couple of months. Lots of milk, lots of protein with a broad amino acid profile, lots of citrus, PUFA depletion, raw carrots, and the basic Peat supplements (aspirin, niacinimide, biotin, selenium, vitamin E) have been incredibly beneficial. Currently 6'5" 240 12% body fat, deadlifting over 500 pounds and benching 315 for reps with no pain whatsoever. I can even do backflips and back handsprings, which is kind of nuts for a never-athlete of my size. My grape-sized gynecomastia has completely gone away. I look and feel like I'd want to, and it makes me unbelievably happy, even though I am underemployed due to this journey lol.

The scientific knowledge on this forum goes a little too deep for me to contribute just yet, but I look forward to absorbing more and continuing to push the envelope with you fascinating bunch.

Good for you! Congratulations! Lucky you found Ray Peat :):

Stramonium

Hey Aaron, any insights on your acne problem? Did Vitamin E had a positive impact?

OP
Aaron

Aaron

Oh yeah... I've also regrown my hair to a NW0.5, although I am taking finasteride which is the most non-Peat thing I am doing.
Hey Aaron, any insights on your acne problem? Did Vitamin E had a positive impact?

I cleared up everything except the bacne by college. I was experiencing 20 new pimples a day for a while. I never found any topical solution that worked, but the most consistent correlation I found was between masturbating and acne, or more specifically, the more I masturbated the more acne I got. It was a VERY strong correlation for me. Could have been prolactin or other stress hormones contributing to it. Stress-promoting foods like white bread bologna sandwiches with PUFA mayo were also contributors. Never found a dairy link. Vitamin D also helped. I can't speak for vitamin E because I only started taking that a month or two ago.

Mreqsol

Totally glad to hear that.

Did you have any problem re introducing milk after vegan?

What does your workouts look like?

Thanks and congrats for your recovered health bro.

what happened with the back injury? you just don't have pain anymore even after that?

benaoao

Very nice report. High aminos is wonderful, and you got the right supplements, not abusing it. I deadlift over 500 as well but g** d*** this 315 bench is so far away ):

Also it’s nice that you’re bringing up nutritionfacts. Greger brings a lot of valid information but his bias is such quackery. Comments there are cult like. So you meant processed vegetable fats, phytic acid loaded foods that bring nothing but starch, and sweetened “healthy” veggie bombs are bad for health? Hmmmmm

Zinc could be a nice addition to the diet if the skin stays troublesome

Last edited by a moderator:

Stramonium

Oh yeah... I've also regrown my hair to a NW0.5, although I am taking finasteride which is the most non-Peat thing I am doing.

I cleared up everything except the bacne by college. I was experiencing 20 new pimples a day for a while. I never found any topical solution that worked, but the most consistent correlation I found was between masturbating and acne, or more specifically, the more I masturbated the more acne I got. It was a VERY strong correlation for me. Could have been prolactin or other stress hormones contributing to it. Stress-promoting foods like white bread bologna sandwiches with PUFA mayo were also contributors. Never found a dairy link. Vitamin D also helped. I can't speak for vitamin E because I only started taking that a month or two ago.

Yeah I agree, perhaps some of us are more sensitive to the Prolactin surge after an orgasm, but whenever I see this idea pop up it gets shut down for some reason. To me it is also an obvious correlation, that could add up and exacerbates the lack of calcium, vitamin D, vitamin E, etc...

Arrade

Yeah I agree, perhaps some of us are more sensitive to the Prolactin surge after an orgasm, but whenever I see this idea pop up it gets shut down for some reason. To me it is also an obvious correlation, that could add up and exacerbates the lack of calcium, vitamin D, vitamin E, etc...
I think it has more to do with hormonal disturbances than a lack of vitamins

Arrade

I wonder if hairloss is only exacerbated by hyperprolactemia... and masturbation doesn’t necessarily cause that

benaoao

Don’t know why this forum is obsessed with Vitamins

Because vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fatty acids, carbohydrates all play a critical role at some point when modulating enzyme activity associated with hormones?

Arrade

Because vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fatty acids, carbohydrates all play a critical role at some point when modulating enzyme activity associated with hormones?
You can just eat well

Arrade

Obviously we’re learning about everything (or at least I am) but people here don’t even exercise and want to know how many Iu’s of Vit A to rub on their ballsack or how much Vit D will fix their teeth they don’t brush

L

lollipop

Obviously we’re learning about everything (or at least I am) but people here don’t even exercise and want to know how many Iu’s of Vit A to rub on their ballsack or how much Vit D will fix their teeth they don’t brush
Not to be contrary to what appears an emotional response for you, meaning not wanting to shut down your emotion, but seriously?!?! An exaggeration and perhaps true for a few, but inaccurate for many.

Arrade

Not to be contrary to what appears an emotional response for you, meaning not wanting to shut down your emotion, but seriously?!?! An exaggeration and perhaps true for a few, but inaccurate for many.
I saw someone using 60,000 ius of Vit A for that purpose on a post yesterday