Herxheimer Reaction From A Peat Perspective?

Shrimp

The Jarisch–Herxheimer reaction is a reaction to endotoxin-like products released by the death of harmful microorganisms within the body during antibiotic treatment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarisch%E ... r_reaction

Hi friends,

After spending the past three days with a sudden and uncomfortable flu-like reaction (103.8 fever and all the fun that goes with that) to an herbal tincture given by my NP, I'm left wondering:

Is a Herxheimer reaction a necessary part of the healing process when eradicating a heavy load of viruses/parasites/bacteria/fungus etc.? I find it hard to believe that increasing the metabolism with Peat protocols would be a cure-all re: these bugs, but at the same time the level of suffering that these Herx-inducing medications and herbs can cause seems unnecessary. Reading people's logs on Lyme/Candida/etc. boards about patients' Herxing over and over again and what they go through each time in their quests for health is seriously depressing...their already ill bodies clearly get overloaded and take a beating. Yet the Herx reaction is lauded and even actively sought after as a healing response. How is getting the stuffing kicked out of them by endotoxin overload helping people heal??

What would you do to treat something like Lyme, Babesia, Candida, parasites etc. to minimize the Herx reaction? Or do you believe it is a necessary evil and that people just need to suck it up and push through to get better?

SQu

All I can say is, if I were to go through antibiotic treatment for chronic fatigue today rather than a few years ago, this time I'd take cyproheptadine and aspirin, yes, and charcoal. Like I now do for any flu like symptoms and just about everything else besides. It helps so much I'm sure I could have saved myself a lot of nausea and migraines and extreme weakness during treatment. My family gets irritated when almost no matter what their symptoms I give them charcoal and cyproheptadine - but it often fixes the problem overnight.

Sea

I think if you have a herxheimer reaction then you are detoxing too quickly and it is basically poisoning you. You should gradually overcome all infections as your metabolism increases. Certainly things like antibiotics and aspirin can help, but you should probably take a smaller dosage if you notice negative symptoms from any substance.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
Cyproheptadine and aspirin.

Second that. If you can't find cyproheptadine, mianserin / mirtazapine is a good alternative. It also blocks the 5-HT3 "receptor" at much lower doses than cypro so could be even more helpful with gut issues.

tomisonbottom

All I can say is, if I were to go through antibiotic treatment for chronic fatigue today rather than a few years ago, this time I'd take cyproheptadine and aspirin, yes, and charcoal. Like I now do for any flu like symptoms and just about everything else besides. It helps so much I'm sure I could have saved myself a lot of nausea and migraines and extreme weakness during treatment. My family gets irritated when almost no matter what their symptoms I give them charcoal and cyproheptadine - but it often fixes the problem overnight.

How much cypro do you give someone for "flu" like symptoms? And I assume you give the cypro and charcoal separately.....how far apart?

Last edited:

Giraffe

The phenomenon known as "purging and puking" does not represent a healing crisis, but rather the worst aspects of 19th-century medicine. In a similar vein, I can detect no valid rationale behind wellness programs based on the fatuous concept of "no pain, no gain." I would suggest that we always keep in mind the relevance of the advice given by Hippocrates: "First do no harm."

I found this quote in the chapter about detoxification in a book called "Medical Herbalism" by David Hoffmann.

aguilaroja

I have met many, many people seeking help for difficult conditions who are coaxed through ups-and-downs, for months and years, with reassurance by providers that they are “Herxing” or de-toxing their way to better. Out of those, those who experienced clear major long term improvement was approximately zero.

There is an old tradition in medicine of purging, detoxing, fasting, high colonic enemas, bloodletting, catharsis, other "discharge". It seems pessimistic about life, as if getting rid of impurities returns to this impossible perfection. When the purging doesn’t work, practitioners always find ways to blame the patient for not doing enough.

This nonsense persisted well into the 20th century in North American medical practice, and remains in many “alternative” methods. Of course, purging “bad cells” through killing by radiation and chemo-“therapy” remains in recent cancer treatment.

Heroic medicine - Wikipedia
The Road to Wellville - Wikipedia

Cancer: Disorder and Energy
“Paul Ehrlich's search for poisons that were specific for bacterial pathogens was quickly extended to the idea of finding poisons that would distinguish between cancer cells and the patient's cells.”

Diokine

My own experience has led me to believe that if you are doing something right, you will feel better, and not worse.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals