Hershey's Busts Out The Natural Chocolate Syrup

encerent

Try it first if you can before you buy the huge costco double pack. It tasted like plastic to me.

Make your own if you have time

alywest

Is it really that hard to make your own chocolate syrup? I mean, sugar, raw organic free range fair trade cocoa, some water, cooked in a pan for a while til it melts down...not rocket science, people!

alywest

Chocolate syrup: 2 1/2 T (2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons) simple syrup, honey or maple syrup, 1/2 t vanilla, 1 1/2 T unsweetened cocoa powder, milk

Combine all the ingredients (just enough milk to give it the right texture) in a saucepan. Heat until it is all melted together and then store in an airtight container in the fridge.

For the chocolate obsessed:

Chocolate pate (as printed in Playboy once upon a time):

Sprinkle 2 1/2 t powdered gelatin over 1/3 C heavy cream, 1 C milk, 2/3 cup sugar and 2 pinches of salt in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add six egg yolks, little by little, the mixture and cook until thickened. Add gelatin blend and whisk to incorporate. Pour over 1 lb. of 70% cacao dark chocolate broken into pieces in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Transfer to a small pan; chill to set. Never leave your house again except to buy more ingredients.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Chocolate syrup: 2 1/5 T simple syrup, honey or maple syrup, 1/2 t vanilla, 1 1/2 T unsweetened cocoa powder, milk

Combine all the ingredients (just enough milk to give it the right texture) in a saucepan. Heat until it is all melted together and then store in an airtight container in the fridge.

For the chocolate obsessed:

Chocolate pate (as printed in Playboy once upon a time):

Sprinkle 2 1/2 t powdered gelatin over 1/3 C heavy cream, 1 C milk, 2/3 cup sugar and 2 pinches of salt in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add six egg yolks, little by little, the mixture and cook until thickened. Add gelatin blend and whisk to incorporate. Pour over 1 lb. of 70% cacao dark chocolate broken into pieces in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Transfer to a small pan; chill to set. Never leave your house again except to buy more ingredients.
Oh my! Yum :):

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

alywest

+1 on the yum. But I am still digging in my kitchen for the 1/5 T measuring spoon. :hairpull
OMG my bad, that should be 2 1/2 Tablespoons! which is an odd measurement anyway. 1 tablespoon is 4 teaspoons, so that would be 2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons in reality.

alywest

I have also started to make my own "corn syrup" substitute with table sugar (which essentially breaks the table syrup into glucose and fructose):

2 C sugar
1 1/4 C water
1/8 t cream of tartar
pinch salt

Bring to a boil then cook over a simmer until it's the right consistency (I keep it on the thinner side but thicker would be required for caramel, other candies)

denise

OMG my bad, that should be 2 1/2 Tablespoons! which is an odd measurement anyway. 1 tablespoon is 4 teaspoons, so that would be 2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons in reality.
Actually one tablespoon is 3 teaspoons. :D

alywest

Actually one tablespoon is 3 teaspoons. :D

LOL oh my I am not running on all four cylinders today! I think using the 2 T + 2t would work for the purposes of the chocolate syrup since it's not baking or an exact science. However, I stand corrected and 1 T = 3 teaspoons! For the record. Thanks Denise! Also just wanted to say I think 1 envelope of Knox gelatin is 1 Tablespoon, so there should be enough in one of them (and then some) for the chocolate pate recipe.

L

lollipop

I have also started to make my own "corn syrup" substitute with table sugar (which essentially breaks the table syrup into glucose and fructose):

2 C sugar
1 1/4 C water
1/8 t cream of tartar
pinch salt

Bring to a boil then cook over a simmer until it's the right consistency (I keep it on the thinner side but thicker would be required for caramel, other candies)
@alywest Thanks for this. It is frustrating reading all the recipes for corn syrup - urrrgh :-/. One question, why cream of tartar? Can it be made without?

alywest

@alywest Thanks for this. It is frustrating reading all the recipes for corn syrup - urrrgh :-/. One question, why cream of tartar? Can it be made without?

Apparently it needs something acidic to create the chemical reaction that separates the glucose and fructose. I wonder if vinegar or lemon juice would work, but I don't know. OK I just read that for every 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar you can substitute 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar. So that should work, just use 1/4 teaspoon for the recipe above! I think that will work.

L

lollipop

Apparently it needs something acidic to create the chemical reaction that separates the glucose and fructose. I wonder if vinegar or lemon juice would work, but I don't know. OK I just read that for every 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar you can substitute 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar. So that should work, just use 1/4 teaspoon for the recipe above! I think that will work.
That is great! I prefer lemon juice.

OP
Westside PUFAs
Is it really that hard to make your own chocolate syrup? I mean, sugar, raw organic free range fair trade cocoa, some water, cooked in a pan for a while til it melts down...not rocket science, people!

No, it's not "hard." But not everyone wants to make everything from scratch. Do you make everything from scratch? Because if you don't you sound like a hypocrite.

meatbag

I actually got some the other day when I had to get some stuff at costco. Its pretty good, didn't notice a plastic taste like was mentioned. And yeah I've made my own before-and thx for recipes, look good- but it's nice to have if I want chocolate milk and don't have much time, and as I'm sure everyone on here knows all the premade chocomilk has ******* carageenen.

So thanks @Westside PUFAs :thumbup

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

alywest

No, it's not "hard." But not everyone wants to make everything from scratch. Do you make everything from scratch? Because if you don't you sound like a hypocrite.
Yes I make everything from scratch. No, I actually don't, but simple things like that I like to so I can avoid getting things that have questionable sources/ingredients. However, I didn't harvest the sugar cane that I am using. I apologize for sounding like a hypocrite, and I suppose my first post sounded moralistic. I honestly don't care if you make your own chocolate syrup but I did want to offer up that it is easy enough if you are concerned about the fillers. I do find myself making a lot more things and just buying a lot of raw ingredients instead of premade stuff because almost everything from the grocery store with more than one ingredient has PUFA, corn, starches, and all the gums, carageenans, etc. I've even made a soda with the corn syrup recipe I gave and san pellegrino and essential oil although I'm not sure essential oil is the safest. I also use the syrup to sweeten my own homemade lattes that I make on my espresso machine. I'm so freakin cool.

alywest

I will also say that when you have kids like I do, unless you're a millionaire, you have to make a lot of things yourself because processed foods are expensive as heck and I'm not totally sure why. well, I guess it's because they have to pay their CEOs so much freaking money. Or they would die. Instantly. Ok I'm shutting up now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals