Here's to a Proper Calf Liver Replacement Supplement

Discussion in 'Supplements' started by Such_Saturation, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Hi!

If any of our fine people would be interested, here's my idea. Consider for a moment the benefits of a supplement which could well approximate the nutrients found in a weekly slice of liver. Here's what one dose (or seven doses, rather) would likely contain:

20mcg selenium
    10mg zinc
    a few milligrams copper
    75000 IU retinyl acetate
    100mcg vitamin B12 (B12 geeks pick the best form)

Optional could be some of the things Ray Peat claims make the liver dark. Perhaps they are some form of Coenzyme Q10? Please if you enjoy this sort of thing, help perfect the recipe, so at least we can have the recipe.

2. Derek

Derek Guest

I'm sure there are many more things in liver, yet unknown; that contribute to it's overall health benefits. I don't think you can really reduce it down to simply 7 isolated chemicals. I don't eat liver, BTW; but what's your aversion to eating it?

3. Tarmander

Tarmander Member

I think it would be tough to get all the nutrients found in liver into a supplement. However I have found that a dose of estroban and a dose of energin approximates how it feels to eat some liver. Liver is still king though.

I like the idea. You'd have to add vit k and some iron too

4. Ideonaut

Ideonaut Member

Was just chomping on a piece of frozen raw beef liver as I read this. Tastes kinda like a fudgecicle to me!

5. OP
    Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

There doesn't seem to be much vitamin K at all according to some websites :(

6. XPlus

XPlus Member

I can think of 75,000 and one reason to not put retinyl acetate through my mouth.
    How about freeze dried liver?

7. OP
    Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

:?: The point is not to eat liver.

8. Tarmander

Tarmander Member

Yeah I have seen that. It's weird how there doesn't seem like there is an agreement on vit k content in liver. Doesn't Ray say it has some?

9. Derek

Derek Guest

Ray did the testing himself. If I remember correctly he said 1mg per 100g of liver. The nutrient websites don't do the proper testing, that's why it never shows up.

10. milk_lover

milk_lover Member

Beef liver in general tastes way worse than lamb liver, at least for me. Lamb liver, if the lamb was slaughtered in the same day, tastes more superior to the old frozen aged cow's liver. I ate the latter in Korea because that's the only thing they have and I had to do many special measures (milk soaking, salt, peppers, onions, butter, etc.) to decrease its awful taste, i.e., to make it eatable! This suffering I don't endure anymore thanks to good (minus PUFA) old-style restaurants in my country. The fresh lamb liver almost tastes like lamb muscle meat.. The list of vitamins/minerals you listed are so small to cover all the benefits liver can offer. There is no vitamin E for example. I saw Peat say liver is a good source of vitamin E. Also, there are other b vitamins in liver like biotin I think. What about choline, does liver also have it? Also, Peat said cow's liver has vitamin K according to Mittir.

11. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

Nucleotides is one of them..

12. OP
    Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Starting to sound expensive :cool: but let's do it.

13. michael94

michael94 Member

hmm gotta check if they have any lamb liver next time I go shopping because I agree, when I had beef liver it was disgusting, made me feel nice after however

14. XPlus

XPlus Member

Well, since you insist, I'll take the critical stand point until narouz comes by this thread.

B12 should be more than abundant when the diet contains some meat.
    Also, I don't think iron will be needed because we usually try to get rid of it.
    Selenium, Zinc, Copper and Vitmain A seem like the stuff that Peat would usually recommend getting through food rather than supplements.
    In don't have very good experience with these 3 in supplemental form.
    It's not that I don't get any benefit. I find them the most allergenic of all supplements.
    I have to combine my A with some E so that I don't get skin burns.
    Se gives me diarrhea.
    Copper leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Zinc feels dodgy.

I'd add some K, E and D in a good balance.
    Also, some b vitamins.
    Carrier should allow for it to be taken dermally.

What's wrong with Estroban and Energin?

Freshness is key. After 2-3 days in the fridge, any kind of liver goes disgusting.

15. OP
    Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

I think the nutrient should be ten or more times what you would get from the average of your diet, either that or in a special form that has enough of an effect to make it special compared to normal food.

16. cantstoppeating

cantstoppeating Member

Easy. The next best thing to eating liver:

Egg yolks + Oysters + Retinyl acetate.

17. CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete Member

Telecommunications / Health & Fitness
    Curious why. I (and many others on this forum) take Haidut's Retinil, which I believe is retinyl acetate.

18. OP
    Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Yeah and the next best thing to getting transfusions from a healthy child is eating niacinamide, but where does that leave us :cool:

19. Giraffe

Giraffe Member

Beef liver has about 117mcg vitamin K per 100g according to a study linked therepost 84812.

The database I usually check is quite close: 89mcg/100 g.

20. Wilfrid

Wilfrid Member

Hi Such,

The idea is interesting but as usual when it comes to synthetic vitamins/minerals supplements the interrelationship between those are likely to be problematic.
    Vitamin A ( as a supp ) is very unstable and easily oxidized; its oxidation being, among other things, catalyzed by trace metals, notably iron and copper.
    Which means that's the amount of vitamin A will quicly deteriorate and can't be counted on.
    Too much cobalt can sometimes be problematic for hypothyroid people.
    Selenium contains sulfur... and sulfur and cobalt can also interact. In fact, B12 in supplement often react with thiamine ( a sulfur containing vitamin ) and copper to form inactive B12 analogue. And so on....