Here's how to see if you're hypothyroid and how to fix it

Hans

Forum Supporter
Not much to say here, except, this post is about identifying hypothyroid symptoms and resolving them.

What has helped you the most with resolving your thyroid issues?

Jam

Not much to say here, except, this post is about identifying hypothyroid symptoms and resolving them.

A bunch of useful information, thanks. Btw, you do realize that kelp is a type of seaweed, right?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
A bunch of useful information, thanks. Btw, you do realize that kelp is a type of seaweed, right?
I know haha, but the amount of iodine in typical kelp supplements is like 225-400mcg, which really shouldn't cause any problems.

Fexxx

This high Dose Iodine Topic is really driving me nuts :): . 50% of the reports/studies mentioned dramatic improvements with (super high?) doses Lugols/Iodoral and the others warn not to exceed „low“ doses.

For orientation: how much iodine is consumed by apes or was by our primal foreigners?

Beastmode

Easy list to follow for uninformed. I will definitely share this.

I would add an inability to gain weight as a potential symptom as hypo is stereotypically linked to only fat gain which shuts off the possibility to even consider thyroid supplementation and/or the cause of these symptoms.

Fingernail/toenail quality are good ones as well.

I know quite a few people who had both sorted by improving thyroid, including myself. My toddler's toenail was had a bit of a spoonlike shape that improved as her thyroid improved.

Dannyb

I was interested to see cassava in there. A few if the prometabolic people on Instagram seem to use cassava flour as a replacement for ordinary flour - based on your article i guess it would be having the opposite impact of what they are trying to achieve.

Any suggestions on pro thyroid flour replacements @Hans ?

RealNeat

Great stuff Hans, these compilations are really convenient to share with people. How safe do you think 8gs of aspirin is, or in other words for how long? That seems much higher than the maximum 6g a day that I was thinking was at the border of safety.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Easy list to follow for uninformed. I will definitely share this.

I would add an inability to gain weight as a potential symptom as hypo is stereotypically linked to only fat gain which shuts off the possibility to even consider thyroid supplementation and/or the cause of these symptoms.

Fingernail/toenail quality are good ones as well.

I know quite a few people who had both sorted by improving thyroid, including myself. My toddler's toenail was had a bit of a spoonlike shape that improved as her thyroid improved.
Good ones there. Hair, skin and nail quality are definitely good markers of thyroid function. Also building muscle and strength is more difficult if someone is hypo, especially if the androgen pathway takes a big hit as well.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I was interested to see cassava in there. A few if the prometabolic people on Instagram seem to use cassava flour as a replacement for ordinary flour - based on your article i guess it would be having the opposite impact of what they are trying to achieve.

Any suggestions on pro thyroid flour replacements @Hans ?
Sourdough, coconut flour and nixtamalized corn are 3 I can think of right now. Milk powder is also a good one, but it depends on what you want to achieve. Oat flour is actually also a good one.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great stuff Hans, these compilations are really convenient to share with people. How safe do you think 8gs of aspirin is, or in other words for how long? That seems much higher than the maximum 6g a day that I was thinking was at the border of safety.
Thanks man! From what I've seen, studies using 8-9g aspirin only use that dose for 1-2 months. I think they stopped because of the duration of the study and not necessarily because it caused problems. Everyone will have a different dose that they can tolerate. Tinnitus is a common one, but it can go away with use. Stomach pains are another one. Mixing the aspirin in bicarb and vitamin C can help to make it easier on the gut.

Perry Staltic

None of those symptoms apply to me except heart rate, which for me is in the low to mid 50s at rest. I think that's a symptom of being fit and not being uptight.

FitnessMike

Good ones there. Hair, skin and nail quality are definitely good markers of thyroid function. Also building muscle and strength is more difficult if someone is hypo, especially if the androgen pathway takes a big hit as well.
I'm really eager to do this month with high doses of Aspirin but the liver fattening effect (subjectively) is really profound, I start burping a lot, I could maybe pull it but would have to minimise eating fruits and fats

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'm really eager to do this month with high doses of Aspirin but the liver fattening effect (subjectively) is really profound, I start burping a lot, I could maybe pull it but would have to minimise eating fruits and fats
Aspirin is actually associated with lower pervailence of NAFLD (R), and is currently used in a ongoing study to see if it can help to treat NAFLD.
Burping a rather a symptom of low stomach acid or SIBO. A study found that those who reacted negatively to aspirin had a certain bacteria that caused it.

Does it help if you take digestive enzymes or betaine or something like that?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
None of those symptoms apply to me except heart rate, which for me is in the low to mid 50s at rest. I think that's a symptom of being fit and not being uptight.
Are you saying that because you're not hypo or that you are hypo but have none of those symptoms?

davvid_1

nice work @Hans! interesting to see migraines on your list, as a sufferer would be interesting to know if you have any more thoughts on the causality?

even more interesting to see bilirubin being mentioned! Ive been looking for a connection between bilirubin and thyroid for a while and would again be interested if you have any resources!
i have thalassemia trait (luckily the mild version) but essentially Red blood count is very high, as is the turnover, leading to high bilirubin levels.... may explain why my labs are always fine but i have quite a few hypo symtpoms

Perry Staltic

Are you saying that because you're not hypo or that you are hypo but have none of those symptoms?
I was just commenting that all of the symptoms you listed, except one, indicate I'm not hypo. So that indicates to me that pulse rate is not necessarily an indication of hypo. It could be, and maybe is a lot, but apparently not with me.

Apple

When RP was hypothyroid he drank 30- 50 cups of coffee a day