Here’s how to get all your vitamins and minerals without vegetables

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've gotten this question quite frequently. It's actually very simple to get all your micros without eating any veggies. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you have to avoid veggies entirely (as long as they're not gut-irritating), they can taste absolutely great for sure. But many people can have issues with them, which I explain in the article.

miquelangeles

It all depends on how someone feels on this amount of protein. Some people will feel better on higher amounts of protein whereas others might need slightly less.

Does this mean that some people will feel worse on this amount of protein? Or they simply won't get any additional benefits from increasing protein to 100g/day?

LucyL

That's a nice, straightforward article for optimal diet. Thanks!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
It all depends on how someone feels on this amount of protein. Some people will feel better on higher amounts of protein whereas others might need slightly less.

Does this mean that some people will feel worse on this amount of protein? Or they simply won't get any additional benefits from increasing protein to 100g/day?
Not feel optimal on that amount. Some people might do a lot better on white meat vs red meat so they have to check that out. Also, if digestion is impaired, then tough meats such as lean red meat can be an issue, but when digestion is strengthened, then lean red meat might not be a problem.

P

Peatness

Good to know how this can be achieved, thanks. One point, the calcium seems to overwhelm the magnesium, would that not be problematic in the long run?

76er

In John Jaquish and Henry Alkire's (X3 bar creators) book Weight Lifting Is a Waste of Time they badly misinterpret a study and report that:

if you’re eating whole foods and your goal is to get to the recommended daily intake of vitamins, you’d need to consume 27,000 calories a day. Clearly, no one ever comes close to that.

This article demonstrates that only 2,115 kcals are needed to hit nearly all micronutrient RDAs.

Thanks @Hans for putting another dent in debunking bad and harmful misinformation.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
In John Jaquish and Henry Alkire's (X3 bar creators) book Weight Lifting Is a Waste of Time they badly misinterpret a study and report that:

This article demonstrates that only 2,115 kcals are needed to hit nearly all micronutrient RDAs.

Thanks @Hans for putting another dent in debunking bad and harmful misinformation.
Good to know, I must have missed that part. I skimmed through their book, especially the nutrition part lol.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Good to know how this can be achieved, thanks. One point, the calcium seems to overwhelm the magnesium, would that not be problematic in the long run?
When thyroid hormone production is sufficient, then your body should be able to retain magnesium intracellularly. It's impossible to test intracellular magnesium. currently. But you can always add more Mg and see if you feel better on it.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great post! Any comment on the lack of vitamin E?
Thanks! I'm sure meat contains vitamin E, but in the form of beta, delta and gamma-tocopherol instead of alpha-tocopherol, which is all they test for. On this kind of diet, your PUFA intake is also low, so not a lot of vitamin E is required. Usually, food high in PUFA contain their own vitamin E to protect them.

I've gotten this question quite frequently. It's actually very simple to get all your micros without eating any veggies. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you have to avoid veggies entirely (as long as they're not gut-irritating), they can taste absolutely great for sure. But many people can have issues with them, which I explain in the article.

Another important topic you've highlighted, Hans.

Toward the end of the article you write "Fat contains no micros.." but does the fat portion of animal products not contain fat soluable vitamins? For example, butter made from milk of cows who eat grass year round is believed to contain vitamin K2.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Another important topic you've highlighted, Hans.

Toward the end of the article you write "Fat contains no micros.." but does the fat portion of animal products not contain fat soluable vitamins? For example, butter made from milk of cows who eat grass year round is believed to contain vitamin K2.
Yes, you're right. Correction: some fat sources do contain fat-soluble vitamins, but in terms of the rest, it's pretty desolate.

Dr. B

Thanks! I'm sure meat contains vitamin E, but in the form of beta, delta and gamma-tocopherol instead of alpha-tocopherol, which is all they test for. On this kind of diet, your PUFA intake is also low, so not a lot of vitamin E is required. Usually, food high in PUFA contain their own vitamin E to protect them.
should we not be supplementing vitamin E if we have been on a very low pufa diet for years? or are there still benefits to supplementing it, or should it only be used if eating pufa.
also it seems Ray doesnt actually consider chromium, nor boron essential nutrients. he said there isnt much evidence showing they are essential. with regards to vanadium he said it could be safe in small amounts. not sure if he considers that essential.

Dr. B

do you think SFA are more likely to contain non alpha tocopherol vitamin E while PUFA is more likely to contain the alpha form?
does 100% grass fed, organic A2 milk contain vitamin E

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
should we not be supplementing vitamin E if we have been on a very low pufa diet for years? or are there still benefits to supplementing it, or should it only be used if eating pufa.
also it seems Ray doesnt actually consider chromium, nor boron essential nutrients. he said there isnt much evidence showing they are essential. with regards to vanadium he said it could be safe in small amounts. not sure if he considers that essential.
Probably not, but if your prolactin, estrogen and inflammation are high, then it should be helpful. Milk is a good source of vanadium. Meat and fruit are good sources of chromium. Certain (dried) fruit are good sources of boron.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
do you think SFA are more likely to contain non alpha tocopherol vitamin E while PUFA is more likely to contain the alpha form?
does 100% grass fed, organic A2 milk contain vitamin E
Not necessarily, but it would seem that saturated fat sources of low in alpha-tocopherol. PUFA rich sources can also be high in the others.

Dr. B

Probably not, but if your prolactin, estrogen and inflammation are high, then it should be helpful. Milk is a good source of vanadium. Meat and fruit are good sources of chromium. Certain (dried) fruit are good sources of boron.
if you look at this website i think it lists some different values for some of the nutrients. Office of Dietary Supplements - Zinc
like milk, i think 1% pasteurized milk is listed as 0.1mg thiamine per cup so 1L should be 0.4mg, with grass fed whole milk possibly being higher.
ah didnt know about vanadium and milk.
chromium, seems tough to get the 'RDA" of 35mcg or 120mcg without consuming raw broccoli. even liver and OJ seem to have very small amounts.

B

Blaze

Nice article Hans ............ good dietary outline to effectively sustain the body. Wish I had had all this information on what to eat and what to avoid when I was a younger man. Learning all this stuff a bit late in life but better late than never I guess.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals