Here Me Out: Coconut Oil French Fries

yerrag

I do sweet potato fries in the air fryer, made from fresh, not frozen, and they turned out good. I made the standard orange variety, then I did the Japanese purple and white varieties. I read that regular potato fries turn out good too, I read that you should soak them in water for 30 minutes before you fry them (drying them off first of course).

Good idea Dave. I'll have to try sweet potatoes done this way. It doesn't seem that difficult as compared to potatoes. It seems with potatoes it's more involved.

Air fried potato fries taste good, but it can't compare to deep-fried ones as far as texture goes, but it's a lot more convenient to use an air fryer.

Dave Clark

I looked at some of the air fryer videos on youtube and several of them sprinkle olive oil on the fries before air-frying. Some did not use oil and used air alone and those seemed fine too. Are you just using air by itself Dave or are you sprinkling some olive oil on them?
I have done them both ways. It seems that if you coat them with some safe oil (like coconut, etc.) they come out a bit crispier, not a big difference though. I would just experiment and find out what works for you. Different vegetables cook different, some things get crisp without any problem, and some just don't get crisp due to their moisture content, density, fiber, etc. I just think, and it has been my experience, that the air fryer is a great way to duplicate oil frying without having to use oil. I try everything and anything in it.

RealNeat

I use my air fryer for everything but french fries, its just not the same. The air has to surround the fries to make them even close to real FF. That means very small batches as nothing can overlap and or hinder airflow. For the effort and time, its just not worth it. That McDs hangover cure french fry is only accomplished by a real fryer at least in early 2021.

I can get the same fry quality as an air fryer in a NON convection oven if i lay them out on a rack in a tray.

:M :B.

How about deep frying a bunch of fries taking them to the point where they float and don't break, but not taking them to completion. Then keeping them in the freezer. Then finishing them off on an elevated grate over a cookie sheet in the oven like the anti air fryer guy.

This seems like it would work. Plus should lessen the amount of fat consumed.

Haidut said in an interview he would prefer tallow fried things because tallow can be used more than once before it starts to get nasty and bad while coconut oil is more of a one time frying oil. So to make the most of the oil, make a bunch of mostly cooked fries and save them in the freezer.

I think I like coconut oil fries better than tallow fries. Tallow is so soft, I'm not sure if that's the nature of tallow or the steric acid or if it's because of some PUFA in there or what. Made me feel sick to my stomach a couple times, but the coconut oil fries made me feel awesome.

SuperStressed

Haidut said in an interview he would prefer tallow fried things because tallow can be used more than once before it starts to get nasty and bad while coconut oil is more of a one time frying oil. So to make the most of the oil, make a bunch of mostly cooked fries and save them in the freezer.

I think I like coconut oil fries better than tallow fries. Tallow is so soft, I'm not sure if that's the nature of tallow or the steric acid or if it's because of some PUFA in there or what. Made me feel sick to my stomach a couple times, but the coconut oil fries made me feel awesome.
What about Hydrogenated coconut oil, couldnt that oil be used mulitple times? @haidut

cremes

What about Hydrogenated coconut oil, couldnt that oil be used mulitple times? @haidut
I’m not Haidut but yes. A hydrogenated coconut oil would be fully saturated and have no single bond MUFA or double bond PUFA to oxidize.

Even regular coconut oil is 98% saturated so oxidation is minimal.

Tallow on the other hand has quite a bit of MUFA and PUFA. Oxidation galore.

:M :B.

I have been making fries many times in the same hydrogenated coconut oil and it seems fine. Just try not to overhead the oil. I dump the potatoes in when the oil gets to 250F. I used to cut the potatoes into square fry shape, but now I will only do wedge fries, they cook better, don't break when cooking/stirring them around, and they have optimal thin area and thick area textures. I slice the potatoes in to quarters then half the quarters.
Sometimes it feels like a fat bomb and not optimal, but it's too tasty to avoid.