Help With TSH, Inflammation, Glucose Handling, & Weight

ErinElizabeth

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos 2.5 years ago which, for various reasons, remained untreated apart from some diet shift. I do nothing strictly but have had a focus on filling my diet with root veg, vegetable fruits, low PUFA meats and dairy. I ate out once to several times a week but cook from scratch otherwise. No supplements.

I've tracked my temperature and pulse off and on and it's pretty consistently 97.6-98.2 in the morning and 98.6 + the rest of the day with pulse ranging 82-86. No exercise beyond living my life as any attempt absolutely tanked temps.

My TSH is 18 and I'm finally going to treat it but how do I judge dosing when my temps are already good?

I got my lab panel cheap so I can't complain much but it didn't have the sex hormones and complete thyroid panels I wanted but it did include some blood sugar and inflammation stuff that I'd appreciate a better understanding of what it says.

Fibrinogen 474 high risk >470mg/dL
hs-CRP 4.7 high risk >3.0mg/L
LpPLA² 189 Optimal <200ng/mL
MPO. 131 . Optimal <350pmol/L

HbA1c . 5.3. Optimal <5.7%
HOMA-IR. 5.2 high risk >3
Glucose. 83 . Optimal 70-99mg/dL. Fasted
GSP. 165 . Optimal <200umol/L
Adiponectin . 6.4. High risk <9 ug/dL
Insulin . 25 . High risk >15 uU/mL

Total cholesterol. 244 high risk >240mg/dL
Direct LDL-C . 179. High risk > 160
HDL-C . 29. High risk <50
Non-HDL-C . 197 . High risk >190
Triglycerides . 119 . Optimal <150

Vit D, 25-OH . 25. Low <30 ng/mL

Saturated FA Index. 28.5%
Trans FA Index . 0.64%
Monounsaturated. 25.2%

I'm 5'4" and 255 lbs. I've spent the last few years improving my metabolism and I'd like to get rid of some weight without damaging it again. Seems like the thyroid is the place to start.

meatbag

It seems like your vitamin D level is pretty low. Vitamin D and the thyroid are related on some level and that could be pushing your TSH even higher and TSH doesn't give a total picture of what's going on with the thyroid hormones;

"HD: [...] How do you see fibromyalgia in terms of vitamin D3 deficiency?

RP: I think, it's parallel, almost identical to the hypothyroid condition. All of the inflammations that you get with low thyroid function are structurally and functionally similar to those you get from a vitamin D deficiency. And the thyroid stimulating hormone is an agent of those inflammatory processes, actually more than the direct effect of thyroxin which lowers TSH. The TSH directly activates and causes tissue to release the inflammatory cytokines, interleukins and so on, and parathyroid hormone does that. And just by taking vitamin D or increasing your calcium intake or decreasing your phosphate relative to the calcium: all of these cases in your diet will lower both TSH and parathyroid hormone. And both of these hormones are directly involved in things such as mast cell activation, releasing histamine and serotonin, increasing all of the cytokines, tumor necrosis factor, nitric oxide: all of the things that promote degenerative inflammatory processes. And so functionally vitamin D and thyroid are really parallel. You can't quite separate them."
-Vitamin D - KMUD, 2016-11-18

Getting more calcium and drinking some coffee might help too. I remember in an interview it was mentioned that you can get all the essential nutrients from just 2 quarts of milk, a quart of OJ, coffee, and carrots. I don't think it would be ideal to drastically lower calories but I think that diet can help

Last edited: