Help With Red Light In The UK

DannyIrons™

Okay so I'm about to try Red Light therapy for the first time - I know Peat recommends 15-250 watt clear incandescent bulbs running at 120v. However, as I live in the UK the standard voltage circuit here is 230v, how much difference would it make? Is this a big problem? I don't have the funds right now to buy a Red Light Man or the LGS products.

Thanks folks

aquaman

You can buy 150w or 250watt normal incandescent lights. These provide a good range of light

Ideally 2 of those, you can point them at you for 30-60 mins. They’re especially good after dark now that the clocks have changed.

Ideally you should get special high-wattage chicken brooder lamps. I have only found 150watt lamps off amazon, but so far have not had a problem using 250w bulbs with them .. just don’t keep them on for more than 1 hour.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

You can buy 150w or 250watt normal incandescent lights. These provide a good range of light

Ideally 2 of those, you can point them at you for 30-60 mins. They’re especially good after dark now that the clocks have changed.

Ideally you should get special high-wattage chicken brooder lamps. I have only found 150watt lamps off amazon, but so far have not had a problem using 250w bulbs with them .. just don’t keep them on for more than 1 hour.

I've found these bulbs - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infrared-h...0715539&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+heat+lamp+250

But what I'm wondering is the difference between running these off 120v like Peat suggests (which is US standard voltage circuit) or 230v which is the standard UK circuit. As he said the 120v leans away from more blue, so what is the effect of using them on 230v?

aquaman

I think you just want normal, clear, 250w incandescant. NOT heat lamps. But worth searching the forum, there are many threads about this.

You want unfrosted, so that the light reaches you.

A quick search gave these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bayonet-Clear-Incandescent-Light-Bulbs/dp/B00NO20QEQ but they are Bayonet.

You can search for e27 150w or 250w eg GLS 150W ES Clear Bulb Screw In 2700K Colour Temp 80mm

Here's a 250w brooder lamp https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GV6F5BK/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

In terms of voltage, I'm not sure. Peat recommended using 130V bulbs on a 120V output i believe, which pushes the range more into the orange/red spectrum.

But our bulbs are 240v. To get the equivalent, i guess you'd have to run them off 220v/230v, but I don't know how to do that.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

I think you just want normal, clear, 250w incandescant. NOT heat lamps. But worth searching the forum, there are many threads about this.

You want unfrosted, so that the light reaches you.

A quick search gave these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bayonet-Clear-Incandescent-Light-Bulbs/dp/B00NO20QEQ but they are Bayonet.

You can search for e27 150w or 250w eg GLS 150W ES Clear Bulb Screw In 2700K Colour Temp 80mm

Here's a 250w brooder lamp https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GV6F5BK/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

In terms of voltage, I'm not sure. Peat recommended using 130V bulbs on a 120V output i believe, which pushes the range more into the orange/red spectrum.

But our bulbs are 240v. To get the equivalent, i guess you'd have to run them off 220v/230v, but I don't know how to do that.

UK standard circuit voltage is 230v and our bulbs are 240v so does that mean we're good? Does it not matter that it is around 100 more volts than what Ray suggests? Sorry i don't really get how voltages/wattage works ashamedly

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

I don't understand the difference between heat lamps and incandescent, in this clip they are talking about heat lamps

Peater

Okay so I'm about to try Red Light therapy for the first time - I know Peat recommends 15-250 watt clear incandescent bulbs running at 120v. However, as I live in the UK the standard voltage circuit here is 230v, how much difference would it make? Is this a big problem? I don't have the funds right now to buy a Red Light Man or the LGS products.

Thanks folks

A 110V lamp of X watts will draw more current (Amps) than a 230V. U.S operates at 60Hz compared to our 50Hz too, so you get 10 more a.c. cycles per second there.

So as long as the wattage is the same the voltage should be immaterial

If you use a 110V lamp here it will either burn out straight away or run far too hot. It's resistance is less than a 230V lamp, hence the current being higher.

rei

I don't know what you are asking. Voltage has difference in lamp design, not in effect.

Fact is that we don't know the most effective wavelengths. Incandescent produce a continuous spectrum, so you waste most of the electricity you put into them. Probably LED lights are the only ones capable of providing a specific wavelenth. But as i said, that most beneficial wavelength is not known.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

I don't know what you are asking. Voltage has difference in lamp design, not in effect.

Fact is that we don't know the most effective wavelengths. Incandescent produce a continuous spectrum, so you waste most of the electricity you put into them. Probably LED lights are the only ones capable of providing a specific wavelenth. But as i said, that most beneficial wavelength is not known.

Peat mentions in a video that some clear bulbs are designed for 130v so when you run them off a 120v circuit, they are stronger in the red and weaker in the blue wavelengths- and so was wondering how this relates to the aforementioned bulbs that will be run off a 230v circuit.

rei

They will burn in seconds.

edit: running a bulb at 10V less voltage than design spec may shift the balance imperceptibly towards red end of spectrum. But i would be surprised if he used something like that as an argument, because it is theoretical masturbation and has no real effect.

Last edited:
OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

They will burn in seconds.

edit: running a bulb at 10V less voltage than design spec may shift the balance imperceptibly towards red end of spectrum. But i would be surprised if he used something like that as an argument, because it is theoretical masturbation and has no real effect.

So you think the clear 250 watt infrared bulb on a 250watt lamp would be sufficient red light therapy?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals