Help with Peat-ifying my health?

Codon

Hello everyone!

To introduce myself quickly, my name is Jacqui and I've very recently found the amazing work of Ray Peat through Danny Roddy. As a biology student and one with many health issues, I've found his take on physiology and health fascinating. That being said, I'm having some analysis paralysis with all this new information and was hoping for some guidance with healing myself. Any help or pointers would be massively helpful!

Basic Info:
Female, 22 years old, 5'4
Grew up in North America (US till age 6, then Canada to present)
1/2 First Nations (Cree), 1/4 Polish, 1/4 Mixed Eastern European
Current weight: ~180 lbs (have not weighed myself in a while so this is approximated, and will likely not again just to keep my sanity)

Medical History:
Diagnosed depression at 16 (debilitating from age 17-19)
Was warned of being prediabetic at 17 by GP
"Diagnosed" PCOS at 18 (GP did not confirm with ultrasound, but said it was probable from hormone tests and a particularly painful episode of abdominal pain he decided was a cyst rupturing)
"Diagnosed" IBS at 18 (GP didn't test, just told me that's what I was likely suffering from)
Very High Cholesterol, Very High Triglycerides

Current Symptoms:
Last menstrual cycle in Feb 2013
Hair thinning for past 2 years
Onset insomnia
Acid reflux, nausea after eating
Depression
Abdominal fat accumulation
Lightheaded feeling when standing up after lying down, sitting, or crouching
Persistent dehydration regardless of how much water I drink
Feeling anxious or agitated without reason for a span of time, ranging from 15 minutes to a day in length for no apparent reason
Mucus production after eating almost any food

Labs:
(From Genova Diagnostics one month ago)
Thyroid:
Total Thyroxine (T4) = 68.2 nmol/L (low)
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) = 2.20 mIU/L (high)
Free Thyroxine (FT4) = 13.0 pmol/L (normal)
Free T3 (FT3) = 2.96 pmol/L (low)
FT4 : FT3 Ratio = 4.4 (high)
Reverse T3 (rT3) = 0.24 pmol/mL (normal)
Thyroglobulin (TG) = 27.7 IU/mL (normal)
Peroxidase (TPO) = 266 IU/ml (very high)
Melatonin, Cortisol:
Salivary Melatonin:
Sample 1 (07:00-9:00): 2.4 pg/mL (range: 1.0-10.0)
Sample 2 (15:00-17:00): 1.4 pg/mL (range: 0.0 - 2.0)
Sample 3 (02:30-3:30): 2.4 pg/mL (range: 5.0-30.0)
Salivary Cortisol:
Sample 1 (Post Awakening): 13.4 nmol/L (range: 12-22)
Sample 2 (+4 - 5 Hours): 6.5 nmol/L (range: 5.0-9.0)
Sample 3 (+4 - 5 Hours): 4.3 nmol/L (range: 3.0-7.0)
Sample 4 (Prior to Sleep): 2.8 nmol/L (range: 1.0-3.0)
Total Daily Cortisol: 27.0 nmol/L (range: 21-41)
Salivary DHEA:
Sample 2 (am): 0.85 nmol/L (range: 0.4-1.47)
Sample 3 (pm): 0.52 nmol/L (range: 0.4-1.47)
DHEA Mean: 0.69 nmol/L (range: 0.4-1.47)
DHEA : Cortisol Ratio: 2.54 (2.0-6.0)
28 Day Female Hormone Panel: (Image of female hormone panel
Follicular Phase:
Sample 1: Progesterone = 27.6 pg/ml (Range: 10-100 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 1.7 (Range: 2-5 pg/ml)
Sample 2: Progesterone = 35.2 pg/ml (Range: 10-100 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 1.8 (Range: 2-5 pg/ml)
Sample 3: Progesterone = 17.5 pg/ml (Range: 10-100 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 1.4 (Range: 2-5 pg/ml)
Sample 4: Progesterone = 38.0 pg/ml (Range: 10-100 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 2.6 (Range: 2-5 pg/ml)
Ovulation Phase:
Sample 5 (Pre-Ovulation): Progesterone = 49.8 pg/ml (Range: 10-100 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 3.2 (Range: 5-14 pg/ml)
Sample 6 (Ovulation): Progesterone = 33.0 pg/ml (Range: 10-100 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 2.3 (Range: 2-7 pg/ml)
Luteal Phase (Surge):
Sample 7: Progesterone = 119.2 pg/ml (Range: 100-400 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 2.6 (Range: 4-7 pg/ml)
Sample 8: Progesterone = 55.9 pg/ml (Range: 100-400 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 1.8 (Range: 4-7 pg/ml)
Sample 9: Progesterone = 32.1 pg/ml (Range: 100-400 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 2.7 (Range: 4-7 pg/ml)
Sample 10: Progesterone = 71.6 pg/ml (Range: 100-400 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 2.6 (Range: 4-7 pg/ml)
Post Luteal Phase:
Sample 11: Progesterone = 176.8 pg/ml (Range: 10-100 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 2.8 (Range: 2-5 pg/ml)
Sample 12: Progesterone = 46.2 pg/ml (Range: 10-100 pg/ml), Oestradiol = 2.2 (Range: 2-5 pg/ml)
Distribution Analysis & Testosterone:
Luteal Progesterone Output: 361.6 pg/ml (Range: 500-1300 pg/ml)
Total Oestradiol Output: 27.7 pg/ml (Range: 35-70 pg/ml)
Progesterone:Oestradiol Ratio: 25.4 (Range: 10-40)
Testosterone (Female): 62.5 pg/ml (Range: 20-70 pg/ml)
Ovulation Phase Analysis:
Luteal Progesterone Surge Occurred on Day: 16
Length of Luteal Phase in Days: 17 (Optimal: 11 Days)
Oestradiol Pre-Ovulatory Peak Day: 12
Oestradiol Peak to Luteal Surge: 4 (Optimal 4 Days)

At the time being, I've begun supplementing with Relora Plus to support my adrenals, with Selenium for my thyroid, topical Magnesium, and Vitamin D3, C, and a Multivitamin by Thorne Research.

My diet is a Paleo approach with the majority of my calories coming from fats, a moderate amount of carbs and a low amount of protein.

Any help is really appreciated!

J

j.

Ray Peat advises at least 80 grams of protein from good sources per day to optimize liver conversion of T4 to T3.

Mittir

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a basic dietary guideline.
viewtopic.php?t=20

Daily raw carrot salad or cooked bamboo shoot helps a lot with lowering
estrogen and improving thyroid function. Avoiding starch and fiber is recommended,
as these can feed bad bacteria

He recommends 33 to 50 percent of calories from sugar ( OJ, Milk, fruits,honey, table sugar etc)
Sugar is a major part of this diet. It improves T4 to T3 conversion in liver and does lots of other beneficial things.
Fructose in sugar helps with filling liver glycogen and increasing co2 production.
Coconut oil is very helpful in improving metabolism.

He does not like commercial supplements as most of these products are source of allergen and impurities.
He uses Vitamin D3 on skin and recommends mixed tocopherol natural Vitamin E to mainly protect against PUFA.
PUFA, estrogen,cortisol, serotonin and endotoxin from gut irritation are considered major cause of thyroid and other health issues. Healthy liver is crucial too.
It can take about 4 years to completely replace PUFA storage by avoiding PUFA.
But younger people may be able to do that in shorter period of time.
8 hours of resting sleep and 250-500 watts of incandescent light help with increasing metabolism.

Jenn

Homemade french fries in coconut oil.

Bowel forming, easiest protein digest, coconut oil protects against starch issues, perfect vehicle for salt. ;)

Small, multiple meals. A pickle or vinegar with meals. Dehydration can be because you are not actually digesting/assimilating what you are eating. Avoid water and drink carbonated beverages or OJ instead.

A

Anonymous

Here are some good quotes that I think are important for everyone to know and remember:

“If you aren't confused about health and nutrition, then you haven't studied it long enough or deeply enough.”-Matt Stone

"There is no perfect food; each comes with give and take. When eating for health, savvy eaters choose foods that give the most and take away the least." - Rob Turner

"I feel that Dr. Peat’s most important nutritional principles are to choose clean, nutritious, and historically relevant foods that are low in phytoestrogens, goitrogens, and polyunsaturated fats and have minimal contaminants (like carrageenan) or preservatives." Rob Turner

"The unifying principle of Ray Peat, PhD’s work in FPS’ opinion is that energy production from cellular respiration/metabolism allows for structure and function of cells to be optimized, and this improved structure and function promotes continued high energy output as well as the production of protective steroid hormones and carbon dioxide. Anything that interferes with energy production has opposing effects, slowing energy output, the consumption of oxygen, and the production of protective hormones and carbon dioxide. The ability to produce energy is at the center of health v. non health, youth v. aging, etc" - Rob Turner

The FPS in the above quote stands for Functional Performance Systems which is his website/gym/Ray Peat nutrition coaching.

"It took me so long to dial in this diet and realize most cheese makes me super sick, milk with added vitamins makes me super sick, big corpo oj makes me sick, too much cocoa powder etc. it doesn't surprise me so many people have problems, the quality of the food we have access to is horrendous." Cliff McCrary

"The thing I like about Ray's work is that it freed me to think for myself. Ray paints a meaningful picture of how the body works, and from there, I think there is a lot of experimentation that can be done. I think a 'Peat-inspired diet' looks something like this:

-adequate protein
-adequate carbohydrate (more than protein)
-an emphasis on saturated over unsaturated fats
-an emphasis on sugars over starches
-obtaining more calcium than phosphate
-supplemental foods/activities for harder-to-get nutrients

When I started reading Ray's work and applying his ideas, I was a complete mess. I literally was sh***ing my pants with all the milk I was drinking and was probably allergic to store bought orange juice I was consuming large amounts of.

When things weren't working, I reevaluated them. For instance, I changed milks, I started making fresh squeezed orange juice, I consumed more salt, I consumed liver, egg yolks, and oysters regularly, etc." - Danny Roddy

"Avoiding the stress-promoting antithyroid unsaturated oils is extremely important. Their role in diabetes, cancer, and other age-related and degenerative diseases (and I think this includes the estrogen-promoted autoimmune diseases) is well established." -Ray Peat, PhD

"Polyunsaturated fats can be reduced by careful selection of foods, but the food industry is finding ways to contaminate traditionally safe foods, such as beef and milk, by using new kinds of animal feed. Still, milk, cheese, beef, and lamb are safe, considering their high nutritional content, and the remarkable purification that occurs in the rumen of cows, sheep, and goats." -Ray Peat, PhD

“For the present, the important thing is to avoid the use of the least appropriate food products, while choosing natural foods that have historical, epidemiological, and biochemical justification.” –Ray Peat, PhD

"Avoiding the starches such as cereals and beans, and using fruits as a major part of the diet helps to minimize the effects of the polyunsaturated fats." –Ray Peat, PhD

"Drinking coffee seems to be very protective against developing diabetes. Its niacin and magnesium are clearly important, but it is also a rich source of antioxidants, and it helps to maintain normal thyroid and progesterone production. Chocolate is probably protective too, and it is a good source of magnesium and antioxidants."–Ray Peat, PhD

"A daily diet that includes two quarts of milk and a quart of orange juice provides enough fructose and other sugars for general resistance to stress, but larger amounts of fruit juice, honey, or other sugars can protect against increased stress, and can reverse some of the established degenerative conditions."–Ray Peat, PhD

"Fish oils are usually highly unsaturated; "dry" types of fish, and shellfish, used once or twice a week, are good. Avoid cod liver oil."–Ray Peat, PhD

"Using gelatin as a major dietary protein is an easy way to restrict the amino acids that are associated with many of the problems of aging." -Ray Peat, PhD

"It is extremely important to realize that calcium deposits in soft tissues become worse when the diet is low in calcium." A quote that Ray put in his calcium article from a book called "Lets Eat Right to Keep Fit, Adelle Davis, Signet, 1970."

"Choosing the right foods, the right atmosphere, the right mental and physical activities, and finding the optimal rhythms of light, darkness, and activity, can begin to alter the streaming renewal of cells in all the organs. Designing a more perfect environment is going to be much simpler than the schemes of the genetic engineers."-Ray Peat, PhD

“But I think the most important point to remember is that it is essential for maintaining adequate blood volume, and that it is almost always unphysiological and irrational to restrict sodium intake, because reduced blood volume tends to reduce the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to all tissues, leading to many problems.” -Ray Peat, PhD

"Iron is a potentially toxic heavy metal. In excess, it can cause cancer, heart disease, and other illnesses."-Ray Peat, PhD

Rolan

Jenn said:
Homemade french fries in coconut oil.

Bowel forming, easiest protein digest, coconut oil protects against starch issues, perfect vehicle for salt. ;)

Small, multiple meals. A pickle or vinegar with meals. Dehydration can be because you are not actually digesting/assimilating what you are eating. Avoid water and drink carbonated beverages or OJ instead.

Can butter have a similar effect on starch?