Help with magnesium

HDD

I seem to need a lot of magnesium. When I supplement to alleviate symptoms, I get diarrhea. Does anyone else supplement? What do you use?

Dan W

I've been experimenting with magnesium for sleep. I went with magnesium oxide since it appears to be one of the ones Peat would prefer, and it's available without excipients from NOW Foods. Although I'd like to move to epsom salt baths since that seems to be Peat's ideal method.

I don't seem to have any digestive issues with the oxide, though I take it with food, and only 100mg.

OP
H

HDD

Thanks, Dan. I think another forum member uses that also. Ray Peat talks about balancing the minerals . I am not sure how to go about doing that. I get symptoms that indicate a deficiency of magnesium. High blood pressure is the one I am most concerned about right now. I had a significant drop in my blood pressure when I was supplementing this past week but it was too harsh. Will try the oxide. Has it helped with sleep?

Dan W

I haven't figured out whether it's helped sleep. I keep changing too many things at once :)

Have you seen the idea that salt will help with magnesium retention?

I'm also thinking of doing what a commenter named Perry suggested, applying an epsom salt solution topically rather than bothering with a bath.

Jenn

I use epsom salts with cream of tartar internally. Loose tools is not the same as diarrhea, but it's ok to back off or not do it everyday. As a bath or foot soak works too without using the intestines to eliminate excess. A hot, soaked towel on the face has its appeal too.<G>

jyb

Dan Wich said:
I haven't figured out whether it's helped sleep. I keep changing too many things at once :)

Have you seen the idea that salt will help with magnesium retention?

I'm also thinking of doing what a commenter named Perry suggested, applying an epsom salt solution topically rather than bothering with a bath.

I use magnesium chloride sprays because I don't have a bath. The only downside is that it can irritate the skin if you do it too often, I find.

JohnS

I've been using the magnesium chloride spray for about 4 days now, 3x a day. It does seem to have a calming effect. I also have muscle twitching in my lower legs and feet and it seems to help that as well. I got a burning sensation the first day or two but I don't feel that anymore. It also leaves a sticky feel, kinda like the ocean, so it's recommended to wash off with a wet cloth after 20 or 30 minutes if you don't like that.

jyb

Yes, I think the idea is to let it absorb for 20-30 mins. After that, I take a shower just to rinse it off.

OP
H

HDD

Thanks for all of yor ideas!
@Dan I did read about salt helping retain magnesium so will try to be on top of that. I know what you mean about trying different things and narrowing down what helps.
@Jenn I am a little hesitant about Epsom salts internally. Not sure why. Maybe because I keep it near my bathtub instead of in the kitchen. Do you use it internally for constipation only? I have very tight shoulder and neck muscles along with high bp, insomnia, occasional cramping in calf, and seldom twitching and numbness. I have the salts so it would be great to not have to buy anything more. Do you know how much we absorb when we do salt bath? Do you take the cream of tartar with the Epsom salt? Is that to balance minerals? Potassium?

I have magnesium citrate on hand,also, and I am trying smaller doses. 200 mg in OJ at bedtime. It seems to help me relax. Not sure about the safety of it.

@JohnS That is great that you are seeing results!

Is the magnesium chloride economical?

@jyb Are you noticing any specific improvement?

jyb

Haagendazendiane said:
@jyb Are you noticing any specific improvement?

When I take it, it's usually for relaxing and help fall asleep.

Prior to reading about RP, I used it for anxiety and possibly muscle twitching. I don't ever have muscles twitching since doing a RP diet, maybe because it has enough magnesium (orange juice).

OP
H

HDD

@JohnS thank you!

@jyb that is great that the diet alone stopped it. I think I am going to measure out my foods for the day to see that I get enough naturally.

I am also going to eat more potatoes to make sure it isn't a potassium problem.

Jenn

Haagendazendiane said:
@Jenn I am a little hesitant about Epsom salts internally. Not sure why. Maybe because I keep it near my bathtub instead of in the kitchen. Do you use it internally for constipation only? I have very tight shoulder and neck muscles along with high bp, insomnia, occasional cramping in calf, and seldom twitching and numbness. I have the salts so it would be great to not have to buy anything more. Do you know how much we absorb when we do salt bath? Do you take the cream of tartar with the Epsom salt? Is that to balance minerals? Potassium?

I have some in the bathroom and some in the kitchen. I mostly use it internally, though not in the past couple of days. The weather has change enough, I don't need as much. I make magnesium/potassium capsules with epsom salts and cream of tartar. Sometimes I just need 1 and sometimes I need 4-5....to bowel tolerance. Getting enough salt too helps retain it.

You can get the salt form of magnesium chloride too...you don't have to buy magnesium "oil".

My friend does a bath of epsom salts, baking soda and aspirin. Potassium is definitely a factor in tight muscles and cramping as well and magnesium and aspirin.

jaa

I bathe in epsom salts, mag chloride, baking soda, aspirin, and niacinamide under a 250 watt incandescent bulb. The benefits I've noticed are increased heart rate, decreased stress, and better skin, though it's hard to pinpoint exactly what item contributes to what benefit.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jaa said:
I bathe in epsom salts, mag chloride, baking soda, aspirin, and niacinamide under a 250 watt incandescent bulb. The benefits I've noticed are increased heart rate, decreased stress, and better skin, though it's hard to pinpoint exactly what item contributes to what benefit.

I'm impressed. :cool:

OP
H

HDD

@Jenn Is magnesium chloride something I can get at Walmart?

@jaa Thanks for the light idea. My niacinimide is in capsules. How much do you use?

jaa

I use 500mg/bath 4x/week.

I could not find any information not behind paywalls for absorption rate or proper dosing in bath water so I just estimated the amount I wanted to absorb (100 - 150 mg), and % absorbed (~20%) to give me 500 - 750 mg added to bath water. I have 250 mg pills so I just use 2 of those. This number is below the upper limit of safety for oral ingestion. If you come across a little more concrete numbers please let me know :D.

OP
H

HDD

Does the raw thyroid glandular product contain T3?