Help with magnesium

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
Does the raw thyroid glandular product contain T3?
What glandular product are you referring to, HDD?
I know that RP has found glandular products to be inconsistent but there are certain glandulars that some have found to work very well, particularly thiroyd. I can't speak to them personally as I am taking cynoplus and cynomel as it was recommended to me by RP.

There is a good article here about some lab testing that was done comparing some synthetic and glandular thyroid products - specifically thiroyd, cynoplus and cynomel.

Natural Dessicated Thyroid and Synthetic Are Not the Same

BaconBits

By the way, Ray Peat does not recomend magnesium oxide because it is poorly absorbed. I dont know why people write positive review about it, probably because it takes care of their constipation.

This is what Ray Peat said to me:
"I don't recommend the oxide, because it's very poorly absorbed, but the carbonate is well absorbed. I don't recommend chemical supplements of magnesium, though, because they all contain some manufacturing impurities that can cause bowel inflammation, such as hemorrhoids. Well cooked greens are very good sources, coffee and chocolate are, too."

Jenn

Yeah, but when you need to poop, you NEED to poop. Having it sit there too long cause way more inflammation than any impurities. Just saying. ;)
I can literally drink coffee all day long and STILL need to supplement sometimes.

BaconBits

Jenn said:
Yeah, but when you need to poop, you NEED to poop. Having it sit there too long cause way more inflammation than any impurities. Just saying. ;)
I can literally drink coffee all day long and STILL need to supplement sometimes.

The Peat diet can be low in fiber if you dont eat a lot of fruit and veggies, therefore constipation. At least it was for me.It is also very difficult to get enough magnesium without getting a ton of oxalic acid from leafy greens like spinach. Unless you eat a ton of dairy or "fresh" orange juice. I supplement for that reason.

Magnesium citrate powder from Now seemed to be a good supplement that should have no impurities but the one I ordered was disgusting, smelled bad and wasnt even soluble in water which 100% magnesium citrate should be. Do not buy that stuff. I read the comments on iherb but I did not believe that they could actually sell such stuff.

I looking for a magnesium citrate capsules now which you can open up and pure into a liquid. Probably Life extension. If the 1 g of citric acid in the supplement. would produce problems of calcium waste, I am not sure.

The thing I dont understand are this bathing and mg chloride oil. The intestines are specifically designed to have a large surface area to absorb everything. But you can put more on the skin that you can eat.

OP
H

HDD

4peatssake said:
Haagendazendiane said:
Does the raw thyroid glandular product contain T3?
What glandular product are you referring to, HDD?
I know that RP has found glandular products to be inconsistent but there are certain glandulars that some have found to work very well, particularly thiroyd. I can't speak to them personally as I am taking cynoplus and cynomel as it was recommended to me by RP.

There is a good article here about some lab testing that was done comparing some synthetic and glandular thyroid products - specifically thiroyd, cynoplus and cynomel.

Natural Dessicated Thyroid and Synthetic Are Not the Same

I have been using an OTC Raw Thyroid Glandular by Natural Sources. I started on this over a year ago because it was at my local health food store. I am not sure if I should change to cynoplus and cynomel since my temperature and pulse are good.

It seems that I need to supplement magnesium now that my calcium intake is higher. I do take epsom salt baths, drink several cups of oj, several cups of coffee and consume chocolate. These things vary depending on life. Magnesium citrate is a little rough. Dosage is 1 tsp and I take 1/4 tsp which causes diarrhea and irritation. Since I have high blood pressure, tight back muscles, and some twitching and numbness, maybe the quality of thiroyd is my problem?

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
I have been using an OTC Raw Thyroid Glandular by Natural Sources. I started on this over a year ago because it was at my local health food store. I am not sure if I should change to cynoplus and cynomel since my temperature and pulse are good.

It seems that I need to supplement magnesium now that my calcium intake is higher. I do take epsom salt baths, drink several cups of oj, several cups of coffee and consume chocolate. These things vary depending on life. Magnesium citrate is a little rough. Dosage is 1 tsp and I take 1/4 tsp which causes diarrhea and irritation. Since I have high blood pressure, tight back muscles, and some twitching and numbness, maybe the quality of thiroyd is my problem?

I did a search on Thyroid Glandular by Natural Sources and found a post by the team leader of a the thyroid forum on Spark People. Link to Thread Read from Bottom Up

She responded to someone asking about this supp and warned strongly against it.
This was what she wrote:

This is what's in it:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Capsule

Amount Per Serving %DV

Synergistic Complex (Thyroid Tissue, Adrenal Tissue, Pituitary Tissue, Thymus Tissue, Spleen Tissue, Kelp, Rice Bran.)
390 mg **

**Need in human nutrition has not been established.

Other Ingredients: Magnesium Stearate, Maltodextrin.

Made Without: Sugar, Starch, Preservatives, Artificial Colors or Flavoring.

NO Corn, Wheat, Yeast, Soy or Milk Derivatives.

My opinion is that its foolish to be playing around with raw organs that have not been titrated to a standardized dosage.

Kelp has a lot of iodine which irritates autoimmune thyroid disease in many cases, and is a source of arsenic. There are no numbers telling how much iodine you are recieving from the Kelp, and no indication that the dosage of the hormones derived from the various glands have been standardized. So you have no way of knowing what you are getting from one pill to the next, or how much if any.

The hypo thyroid works best when it recieves a steady, calibrated source of exogenous hormone. You'll read plenty of stories here about what happens when peeps take their vitamins/minerals/supplements too close to their thyroid meddie so that they do not recieve their full dose.

I would not advise you or any of our team memembers take this preparation at this time.

I think a better choice would be for people to improve their nutrition by eating fresh whole foods rather than processed, and get some daily exercise.

Can you please provide the reviews of those taking this preparation? Are these reviews found only on the site that is selling this product? If so, this is a red flag.

I'd be very leery of this personally HDD even if my temps and pulse were good. I think I'd consider switching either to thiroyd from Thailand or the cynomel/cynoplus combo recommended by Ray Peat.

I think his caution against the inconsistency of glandular products is well founded.

Don't mean to derail the topic away from magnesium supp but for some reason I felt compelled to ask about your thyroid supplement when you asked if it contained T3.

Also, do you have issues with serotonin and/or estrogen dominance?

Ray Peat said:
Serotonin's contribution to high blood pressure is well established. It activates the adrenal cortex both directly and through activation of the pituitary. It stimulates the production of both cortisol and aldosterone. It also activates aldosterone secretion by way of the renin-angiotensin system. Angiotensin is an important promoter of inflammation, and contributes to the degeneration of blood vessels with aging and stress. It can also promote estrogen production.

Also, is your salt intake good?

OP
H

HDD

Thanks for that info. 4ps. Since Edward posted that t3 helps with magnesium retention, it prompted the question about the glandular I have been using. I have thought for quite some time that it might be a wate of $. When I first started reading Ray Peat, I was in quite a different place than I am now. Each time I read an article or listen to an interview, I have more understanding than the previous time. I no longer consider my various symptoms as MS related (thanks to Rayser) but just as symptoms to deal with. At first I thought it was quite peculiar that everyone on this forum had issues like mine but no one had MS.

I am going to stop the glandular today and see if it affects my temperature and pulse.

The only reason I have been noticing my blood pressure is because I started checking my heart rate at the grocery stores I shop in. I was trying to see if increase in magnesium would bring it down. I do heavily salt my foods but I stopped putting it in my OJ and parachuting it. I probably should try increasing it again.

Yes, I do believe I have estrogen dominance and after another post you made, I started to reread the article on serotonin.

Thanks again.

Dutchie

If you want more magnesium in your diet, you migth want to include seasalt,raw cane sugar,blackstrap molasses if you can put up with the taste and chocolate....from the top of my head.

I only dont get why cacao amongst coconut and caffeine are considered top metabolism boosters? Especially bc cacao is a bean/legume

[mod]This post contains alternatives to Ray Peat's views. For a full explanation click here.[/mod]

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dutchie said:
If you want more magnesium in your diet, you migth want to include seasalt,raw cane sugar,blackstrap molasses if you can put up with the taste and chocolate....from the top of my head.

I only dont get why cacao amongst coconut and caffeine are considered top metabolism boosters? Especially bc cacao is a bean/legume

Sea salt and raw cane sugar can provide unwanted iron and other nefarious things.

rosenfeltc said:
Unfortunately Ray Peat isn't a fan of blackstrap molasses. I asked him about it a couple days ago and he replied "Although it's extremely rich in minerals, I think the intense heat used for concentrating it degrades the sugar into things that are likely to be allergens."

Not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just thought it should be mentioned in case some people were having some digestive problems with it.

Source of quote

OP
H

HDD

RP-
"It [CYTOMEL] improves the retention of magnesium, and cellular relaxation, and some people want to have a nap in the afternoon when their thyroid is good."

Stopped my OTC thyroid supplement, temperature good this morning

I would love to be able to nap! My husband can lay down and sleep for a couple of hours in the day if he wanted to. He drinks 7+ cups of coffee daily.

I tried about an eighth of a teaspoon of the magnesium citrate yesterday. It is still too much. Might need to throw it out.

Dutchie

Charlie said:
Dutchie said:

Sea salt and raw cane sugar can provide unwanted iron and other nefarious things.

rosenfeltc said:
Unfortunately Ray Peat isn't a fan of blackstrap molasses. I asked him about it a couple days ago and he replied "Although it's extremely rich in minerals, I think the intense heat used for concentrating it degrades the sugar into things that are likely to be allergens."

Not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just thought it should be mentioned in case some people were having some digestive problems with it.

Source of quote

Oh yeah,sorry didn't think of the fact that most people here are trying to avoid Iron anymore.
Actually Seasalt isn't that high in Iron,it's higher in magnesium while Himalayan salt is way higher in Iron and lower in magnesium.

4peatssake

Dutchie said:
Oh yeah,sorry didn't think of the fact that most people here are trying to avoid Iron anymore.
Actually Seasalt isn't that high in Iron,it's higher in magnesium while Himalayan salt is way higher in Iron and lower in magnesium.
It's not due to iron, but because of impurities that Ray Peat does not recommend any kind of sea salt. He recommends canning salt which is pure.

Peatarian said:
I'm sorry but I've read this to many times now: Ray Peat does not recommend sea salt. It's not refined and there are impurities in it. He recommends the refined white salt without iodine or fluoride.

I've only heard him recommend iodides once: If you have tuberculosis. And even then he just mentioned it is used in treating it not really said he'd do it. I was using iodine once and he recommended I stopped and used thyroid instead

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals