Help With Excess Phlegm

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
I need some advise. I get phlegmy every time I eat. Throughout the day I constantly need to cough and clear my throat. This has been going on for a year and I’m wondering what I can do to alleviate the excess phlegm. And what is causing it? I’m thinking it’s an issue with digestion? Thanks!

somuch4food

Ray peat does mention that a stuffy nose is an indication of an irritated gut and that removing starches is the way to go.

I can't do that though because it's part of my culture and I can't bring myself to change it. It would be too awkward socially for me. I'm still looking for a complete solution.

A smoothie made out of mixed berries and whey powder was the worst I experienced. I actually thought I had a cold, but since the symptoms were still there after 2 weeks I started questioning my diet and found that I started making this smoothie soon before it started and so I tried eliminating it and felt better in days.

BTC

This could be GERD/acid reflux. If so, I don't know much to do to reduce phlegm/clearing throat other than avoid acidic foods - which can be tough if you are drinking a lot of fruit juices, especially orange juice, from fruits that aren't sufficiently ripe. Spicy foods are problematic for the same reason.

Sativa

Christ, has nobody around here ever heard of Traditional Chinese Medicine and it's notable awareness of how to prevent phlegm? TCM is far more established than any western medicine, TCM accounts for everything that western medicine is unable to perceive.
Phlegm in TCM is elementary lol.
In TCM, damp & cold foods directly cause phlegm.
TCM is partly predominantly focused on eliminating damp & phlegm. This is directly aligned with anti-ageing.

Someone should really create a TCM introduction for this forum, since it's at the core of nearly everything.
PS. dairy is #1 pro-damp forming food... lol @ peaters dairy popularity

Sativa

A smoothie made out of mixed berries and whey powder was the worst I experienced. I actually thought I had a cold,
This is quite basic TCM malpractice.
A cold smoothie, using cold fruit and dairy WHEY is a SURE way to imbalance your body and encourage excess phlegm & damp symptoms.
Damp symptoms are seriously unpleasant. I would guess that most peaters who consume dairy/wheat (and other damp food eg cold raw veg/fruit + dairy) suffer from damp imbalance, without even realizing it)

When one only takes into account the physical aspect of their diet and body composition/dynamics, then this only factors in half of the story, leaving one open to countless unintended consequences, all due to ignorance of the non-physical side of reality. Whoops.

Last edited:

Sativa

@Sativa what does your diet consist of?
Good question.
It varies according to core TCM principles, which essentially ensures constant balance between your bodies inner dynamics & those of the environment. TCM also fortifies the bodies protective 'abilities' to ensure resilience from external factors, which would otherwise cause imbalances to less resilient organisms.

My entire approach is a composite of Peat & TCM.
The TCM element improves the Peat approach significantly, making it significantly more holistic, strategic & elegant.
Peat without TCM is like dirt mixed with viscous phlegm which you accidentally smeared all over your new tshirt and freshly washed hair.

Generally, I eat clean organic white rice carbs, yam, chestnuts, (organic where possible) non-nightshade vegetables, EVOO, squalane, organic egg yolks & organic gelatin. Minimal PUFA's, minimal estrogenics.
I run a unique bio-organism here lol

for all: white/refined sugar, honey are SERIOUSLY pro-damp in the TCM perspective. TCM is like a wise humble entity. Ignoring it is of great disservice to yourself.

Inaut

Good question.
It varies according to core TCM principles, which essentially ensures constant balance between your bodies inner dynamics & those of the environment. TCM also fortifies the bodies protective 'abilities' to ensure resilience from external factors, which would otherwise cause imbalances to less resilient organisms.

The TCM element improves the Peat approach significantly, making it significantly more holistic, strategic & elegant.
Peat without TCM is like dirt mixed with viscous phlegm which you accidentally smeared all over your new tshirt and freshly washed hair.

Generally, I eat clean organic white rice carbs, (organic where possible) non-nightshade vegetables, EVOO, squalane, organic egg yolks & organic gelatin. I run a unique bio-organism here lol

Thanks for the response :)

Are you male or female? No more personal q’s After this

somuch4food

This is quite basic TCM malpractice.
A cold smoothie, using cold fruit and dairy WHEY is a SURE way to imbalance your body and encourage excess phlegm & damp symptoms.
Damp symptoms are seriously unpleasant. I would guess that most peaters who consume dairy/wheat (and other damp food eg cold raw veg/fruit + dairy) suffer from damp imbalance, without even realizing it)

When one only takes into account the physical aspect of their diet and body composition/dynamics, then this only factors in half of the story, leaving one open to countless unintended consequences, all due to ignorance of the non-physical side of reality. Whoops.

Do you have good resources to start with TCM and damp foods? I'd love to add another component to my arsenal.

Smoothies are quite convenient and seem healthy. That's why I was making them.

Spondive

Good question.

Generally, I eat clean organic white rice carbs, yam, chestnuts, (organic where possible) non-nightshade vegetables, EVOO, squalane, organic egg yolks & organic gelatin. Minimal PUFA's, minimal estrogenics.
I run a unique bio-organism here lol

for all: white/refined sugar, honey are SERIOUSLY pro-damp in the TCM perspective. TCM is like a wise humble entity. Ignoring it is of great disservice to yourself.
Why squalene? And do you use a supplement of squalene?

Inabruzzo

Forum Supporter
Ray peat does mention that a stuffy nose is an indication of an irritated gut and that removing starches is the way to go.

I can't do that though because it's part of my culture and I can't bring myself to change it. It would be too awkward socially for me. I'm still looking for a complete solution.

A smoothie made out of mixed berries and whey powder was the worst I experienced. I actually thought I had a cold, but since the symptoms were still there after 2 weeks I started questioning my diet and found that I started making this smoothie soon before it started and so I tried eliminating it and felt better in days.
I stopped eating starches (not that I don’t love tortillas, sourdough, white rice, noodles,etc.) but it just made me feel amazing and what I would define as not inflammed. Every morning after coffee, phlegm, and some mild coughing. As soon as I stopped eating starch, almost immediately with the same coffee routine, no coughing or phlegm. I know this is an old post, but hopefully you’ve worked it out @Jkbp and credit to @somuch4food for bringing up the Peat knowledge.

OP
J

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
I stopped eating starches (not that I don’t love tortillas, sourdough, white rice, noodles,etc.) but it just made me feel amazing and what I would define as not inflammed. Every morning after coffee, phlegm, and some mild coughing. As soon as I stopped eating starch, almost immediately with the same coffee routine, no coughing or phlegm. I know this is an old post, but hopefully you’ve worked it out @Jkbp and credit to @somuch4food for bringing up the Peat knowledge.

OP
J

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
Thanks! I am definitely doing better. I’ve cut out all starches also, and lemon water has also helped tremendously.

Inabruzzo

Forum Supporter
Thanks! I am definitely doing better. I’ve cut out all starches also, and lemon water has also helped tremendously.That’s awesome ??
You’re welcome! That’s outstanding! Great to hear your doing better and I’m grabbing some lemons today ???

Nicole W.

I need some advise. I get phlegmy every time I eat. Throughout the day I constantly need to cough and clear my throat. This has been going on for a year and I’m wondering what I can do to alleviate the excess phlegm. And what is causing it? I’m thinking it’s an issue with digestion? Thanks!
I had been dealing with the same problem for about 10 months. Constantly clearing my throat. Waking up with a completely stuffed nose. Everything drained into my chest so I had a very productive cough. I was really starting to get worried. At that time, I was eating sourdough bread at least a couple of times a day. This ended up being the problem for me. I have to agree with the TCM related comments about damp foods. In the end I greatly reduced my wheat consumption and swapped in corn: tortillas, masa etc. In TCM, corn is a warming, energetic food, great for people who struggle with dampness. Yes, dairy is a cooling/damp food, but if you consume it warm, milk in coffee for example, it mitigates the cooling effect somewhat. I would definitely do some experiments with eliminating foods and adding others in.

OP
J

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
I had been dealing with the same problem for about 10 months. Constantly clearing my throat. Waking up with a completely stuffed nose. Everything drained into my chest so I had a very productive cough. I was really starting to get worried. At that time, I was eating sourdough bread at least a couple of times a day. This ended up being the problem for me. I have to agree with the TCM related comments about damp foods. In the end I greatly reduced my wheat consumption and swapped in corn: tortillas, masa etc. In TCM, corn is a warming, energetic food, great for people who struggle with dampness. Yes, dairy is a cooling/damp food, but if you consume it warm, milk in coffee for example, it mitigates the cooling effect somewhat. I would definitely do some experiments with eliminating foods and adding others in.

Inabruzzo

Forum Supporter
Yeah that wheat flour can be a monster sometimes, and addicting (imo). I just swapped a bag of wheat flour for organic masa harina last weekend and I am absolutely putting together some tacos this weekend. ??

OP
J

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
Thank you for sharing this information. This makes a lot of sense!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals