Help With Early Waking

OP
C

CaliforniaKat

I don't know why that posted multiple times and don't know how to get rid of the duplicates. Sorry.

tara

I am not restricting calories intentionally, but might not be eating enough for the upgrade in metabolism. Sleep got worse as I switched from NDT to t3. I'm actually thinking about trying to switch back but at this point I am so worried about doing more damage and making things worse. I really wish there was a person I could work with more closely about this. I'm relatively new to Peat. Have read Deering and Hatch books. Have been hypo for decades and taking different forms of thyroid at various points.

I take t3 spread out across the day with food. Last dose is afternoon.
I am not an expert in this at all. But my understanding is that if supplementing thyroid, its useful to:
a. Make sure nutritional needs are being covered, including keeping blood sugar levels reasonably stable.
b. Keep the thyroid hormone levels reasonable steady.

I don't know what you should do, or how your current amounts of supplement have been arrived at. Not advice, but these are possible experiments I might consider doing myself in your shoes, while monitoring effects:

- Keep the same daily amount of T3, but split it into more doses and spread it out more so that your last small dose for the day is last thing before sleep. If you have 25mg tablets, you should be able to get them down to at least 1/8ths, if not 1/16ths or 1/24ths, with a pill splitter, even if the pieces aren't completely even. Then spread them out from when you wake till you go to bed.

- Or continue with your T3 as is, or dropping a small part of your later in the day dose, and add a tiny NDT dose at bed time. If you add NDT, wait at least 2 weeks to reassess before increasing.

Sleep deprivation is hard. I hope you get relief soon.

More sunshine may make a difference. Can you do anything to get a bit more? Get out in it at lunch time for little?

OP
C

CaliforniaKat

Thank you all. I think trying t3 only was upping adrenaline. I backed off and went back to the NDT I was on a few weeks ago. I have been hypothyroid for much of my adult life. Temps have dropped, but sleep is somewhat better. I still wake 2x in the night, around midnight and 4 am. At midnight I can pretty easily get back to sleep but at 4 am not so much. I am going to bed at 9 to try and get at least 6 hrs

I have taken some supplements out as well and am trying to increase salt. Doing daily raw carrots in the early afternoon.

I haven't tried cypro, as I already take 7.5 mg of Mirt.

OP
C

CaliforniaKat

Now the early waking has moved to 3:15, and I toss and turn until I have to get up for work. Salt doesn't help. Food doesn't help. I'm gaining nearly an half pound a day eating the same foods that didn't cause weigh gain a month ago. *sigh*

I'm very wary of supplements. And already taking Mirt. Don't want to increase the Mirt, afraid to come off if sleep is already had. Rock and a hard place. Ugh.

YourUniverse

Could you be sleeping uncomfortably? Maybe you need a different physical sleep setup? For example, I recently added a pillow under my rib cage (I sleep on my side) which spares pressure on my shoulder, and this has allowed me to sleep through the night comfortably.

LadyRae

Now the early waking has moved to 3:15, and I toss and turn until I have to get up for work. Salt doesn't help. Food doesn't help. I'm gaining nearly an half pound a day eating the same foods that didn't cause weigh gain a month ago. *sigh*

I'm very wary of supplements. And already taking Mirt. Don't want to increase the Mirt, afraid to come off if sleep is already had. Rock and a hard place. Ugh.
How are you these days? Any update to your sleeping would be interesting..... Thanks!

Warrior

Turn the heating off in your bedroom and see what happens.

You might be rising due to cortisol as that starts to kick in from 3AM onwards so you could experiment with KSM-66 but try the temperature first.

invictus

Have many of the same issues/problems as @CaliforniaKat but mine are related to untreatable bipolar illness. And I've tried many of the suggestions that RP and members have discussed(caloric increase, sugar, salt, thyroid, pregnenolone, calcium, magnesium). Nothing more to add to the discussion. Poor or non-restorative sleep is the subject of many research abstracts, yet, other than medications, more questions than possible solutions.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals