Help with child's diet- unable to eat meat/dairy

leea

We are researching how to provide high quality nutrition to our child(9) who refuses meat of all kinds and, we have discovered, reacts very poorly to dairy. Currently we are following the GAPS diet(1 year plus) to heal the gut etc. So we are using bone broth daily. He can also eat eggs, egg yolk(but doesn't really like them much). As he is needing protein to grow etc I am concerned that we cannot give him dairy(have not tried goat yet) - we were using only organic raw milk (as well as long ferment home made yogurt), cheese etc. We may be able to continue using homemade ghee. We will be testing this in the next month or so.

I have been thinking about gelatin or supplementary complete proteins.

I am new to the forum so have just begun to read the articles.

Thanks for any ideas on providing a healthy diet to children.

pboy

make sure he gets at least 1 egg a day if he's eating no meat or dairy (for choline and selenium mainly). Well cooked mashed potatoes are good also and can be a carrier for ghee. Try cooking the dairy first or using pasteurized milk, Ray has even said some people do best with ultra pasteurized. I'd defiantly not give him too much live ferments, especially yeast

kiran

Gelatin is probably worth a try. Try giving him some jello-o with every meal.

Have you tried lactaid? Lactose digestion can be a problem if you have bacterial overgrowth (along with tryptophan).

OP
L

leea

Hi kiran

I suspect he is absorbing the caseomorphins or other protein molecules into the blood stream. He does not have an allergy or lacto intolerance as the main underlying issue(he used to be able to eat these foods). His symptoms are basically ocd.

we will take him off for now and let that settle out.

These issues arose after taking antibiotics and being exposed to chlorine(swimming lessons) - in his case these were more than his system could manage.

I will look more into gelatin as one possible supplement to his diet.

thanks.

J

j.

I would try well-cooked potatoes and orange juice. If he can consume those he could have a lot of them. Also, avoid all PUFAs:vegetable oils, nuts, read the ingredients of everything you buy, including ice cream and chocolate.

Mittir

With digestive problem cooked potato juice can provide good quality of protein and lots of vitamin and minerals.
You have to use centrifugal juicer to juice peeled potato and then let it sit for few hours. Most of the starch will form
a thick sediment on the bottom. You pour out the juice and discard the starch. You can cook this juice like egg . I do make
soup using this potato juice as base. 2 lbs of potato will provide about 30 grams of protein equivalent.
Potato juice also has many exceptional medicinal value.

Egg is among top five allergenic food. Egg white protein can be very allergenic and hard on stomach.
Egg yolk usually is not allergic, but i do have mild problem with egg yolk. Ice cream can be a good blend of
sugar yolk and milk fat.
Does he have problem with cheese? Hard cheese can be difficult for some people due to histamine.
Also make sure you buy cheese made with natural animal rennet and free of additives.
You can also make your own farmers cheese by just adding lemon juice or vinegar in boiled milk.

Also try to feed him liver ( calf, lamb or chicken) once a week.
Once a week seafood like shrimp, lobster, squid and other low fat sea food for selenium and other mineral.

I believe GAPS diet is low on carbohydrate. RP recommends pulp free juice( orange, grape,water melon, guava etc), honey, milk and table sugar as source of carb, about 35-50 % of total calories.

Addition: RP suggest against yogurt but he is ok with greek yogurt as it is lactic acid free.
daily raw carrot salad of one carrot with added vinegar and coconut oil or cooked bamboo shoot
to clean stomach by lowering endotoxin. It is very useful in managing digestive problems.
You have to avoid all kind of PUFA oil, (fish oil, all vegetable oil ,nuts and seeds etc)

Beebop

Home-made ice cream! With added gelatine. In the ice cream thread I put a recipe I adapted from Peat's to add gelatine. As long as he isn't allergic to milk, this might be a great way for him to learn to love it. Panna cotta and chocolate mousse are also great for gelatine.

Potato juice is great but I cook it with bone broth as I don't really like the texture on it's own (scrambled).
Bone broth with potato juice, coconut oil, salt, a poached egg and grated cheese. Very tasty, comforting and nutritious.

Jenn

Homemade french fries cooked in coconut oil with lots of salt...and ketchup, if desired. No other protein is necessary, unless desired. Homemade gummy candy is a good snack too. My son hated milk, until his digestive system healed.

jaguar43

Have you thought about thyroid ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals