HELP: Treating OCD W/o SSRIs

FourLocust

Is it possible to treat Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) without using an SSRI?

I feel like ***t (no libido, no energy, apathetic) when I take SSRIs but taking them is the only chronic treatment (so far) that lessens the intensity my severe OCD. The medical community has pretty much concluded that SSRIs and clomipramine are the only drugs that can effectively be used as a first-line drug treatment.

Is there anything worth trying instead of SSRIs?

@haidut

pork88

SSRIs are terrible for your health and lower your IQ i recommend you immediately stop taking them.
For the OCD i would try tianeptine or pregnenolone. Alcohol in moderation (1-2 drinks a day) is not very Peaty but it helps some people relax.

Explorer

SSRIs are terrible for your health and lower your IQ i recommend you immediately stop taking them.
For the OCD i would try tianeptine or pregnenolone. Alcohol in moderation (1-2 drinks a day) is not very Peaty but it helps some people relax.
Is the IQ decrease temporary or can stay after discontinuing them and through what mechanism it happens and which parts of the intelligence are affected the most?

Frankdee20

Is the IQ decrease temporary or can stay after discontinuing them and through what mechanism it happens and which parts of the intelligence are affected the most?

There’s a Harvard trained psychiatrist up in Ithaca, NY who has testified in many lawsuits against big pharma.... He’s got a website as well called Psychiatric Drug Facts, written several books, and his name is Peter Breggin.... He talks about the way the mind, affect, and personalities change after being on psychiatric drugs.,.. Check him out

OP
F

FourLocust

Thanks - I already take most of these vitamins/supplements, but it's still a very helpful reference point. Supplements may help slightly, but none kill OCD/Anxiety like SSRIs, at least in my experience. Perhaps I haven't given them a fair shot. Are there any novel or overlooked substances that have substantial therapeutic benefit? Anything that can hit OCD-specific targets (mglu5, 5-HT1B, 5HT1D)?

For example, psilocybin completely annihilates my OCD for about a week. Would lisuride result in a similar response? Are there other serotonin antagonists that might elicit a therapeutic response? (area-1255 talks about a good response to ketanserin).

Anyone have an experience with sarcosine, agmatine, memantine, or other novel substances in the treatment of OCD as a monotherapy instead of an SSRI?

OP
F

FourLocust

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into pregnenolone. Trust me, I'm not a fan of SSRIs, but they work decently for OCD and I haven't found anything to replace them. I know NAC and other nutraceuticals may have benefit, but I don't think they're capable of replacing an SSRI when it comes to the treatment of OCD.

No_Energy

@FourLocust , Which Ssri are you using? And dosage? Besides lack of libido have you had other sexual side effects from the antidepressant?..

Frankdee20

Thanks - I already take most of these vitamins/supplements, but it's still a very helpful reference point. Supplements may help slightly, but none kill OCD/Anxiety like SSRIs, at least in my experience. Perhaps I haven't given them a fair shot. Are there any novel or overlooked substances that have substantial therapeutic benefit? Anything that can hit OCD-specific targets (mglu5, 5-HT1B, 5HT1D)?

For example, psilocybin completely annihilates my OCD for about a week. Would lisuride result in a similar response? Are there other serotonin antagonists that might elicit a therapeutic response? (area-1255 talks about a good response to ketanserin).

Anyone have an experience with sarcosine, agmatine, memantine, or other novel substances in the treatment of OCD as a monotherapy instead of an SSRI?

Ketanserin is a specific and sole blocker of the dreaded and neuroticism associated 5HT2A receptor ..... figure that out....

Frankdee20

@FourLocust , Which Ssri are you using? And dosage? Besides lack of libido have you had other sexual side effects from the antidepressant?..

With all due respect sir, and I say this jokingly.... you think someone with OCD gives a **** to sacrifice libidinal urges for some peace of mind ? Lol

tankasnowgod

Is it possible to treat Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) without using an SSRI?

I feel like ***t (no libido, no energy, apathetic) when I take SSRIs but taking them is the only chronic treatment (so far) that lessens the intensity my severe OCD. The medical community has pretty much concluded that SSRIs and clomipramine are the only drugs that can effectively be used as a first-line drug treatment.

Is there anything worth trying instead of SSRIs?

@haidut

Have you tried searching the forum?

Treatment Of Obsessive-compulsive Disorder With Inositol

Anxiety/PTSD/OCD: Prozac's Mechanism Of Action Is Normalization Of Allpregnanolone In The Brain

Frankdee20

Good link, and I read about Inositol... An Israeli study used high gram doses though for OCD.... It seems to help by reversing the sensitivity of 5HT2A receptors, and upregulates D2.... Interestingly, Lithium helps bipolar disorder by lowering inositol levels .... what the hell that means, I don’t know lol

GenericName86

Good link, and I read about Inositol... An Israeli study used high gram doses though for OCD.... It seems to help by reversing the sensitivity of 5HT2A receptors, and upregulates D2

Interesting, sorry If I am understanding this incorrectly but does this imply that if ht2A as become over sensitive then insoitol can reverse that? I've never really heard about inositol when it comes to receptors, all I ever see is Lithium, in terms of your usual over the counter supplements anyway.

khan

I have ocd and depression. I have used prozac on and off for several years. I'm not using prozac at the moment and using niacinamide 500mg. Which works much better than prozac for me. Ocd Thoughts still come but after niacinamide, I get the energy to set them aside.

Frankdee20

Interesting, sorry If I am understanding this incorrectly but does this imply that if ht2A as become over sensitive then insoitol can reverse that? I've never really heard about inositol when it comes to receptors, all I ever see is Lithium, in terms of your usual over the counter supplements anyway.

Thats as far as I understand yes, based on what I’ve read....

No_Energy

With all due respect sir, and I say this jokingly.... you think someone with OCD gives a **** to sacrifice libidinal urges for some peace of mind ? Lol
@Frankdee20 , ;) Sir I hear you, depending on the degree of ocd you'd be willing to chop your di*k off, if that helped.. But at the same, no laugh, severe Ocd is no joke brother.

Last edited:

khan

I agree also that when it comes to ocd none kills ocd like SSRI. Have you find any other substance for alleviating ocd?

OP
F

FourLocust

I agree also that when it comes to ocd none kills ocd like SSRI. Have you find any other substance for alleviating ocd?
yes insoitol, magnesium, agmatine and memantine all help. i've been SSRI-free for several months with no OCD relapse