Help! Melatonin Induced Sexual Dysfunction And More

OP
M

m3life

Don't you want melatonin/serotonin at night to sleep? I haven't noticed any sides yet, I really like to use this to geta good nights sleep :/
If your under 25 and care about your full development, i would stop taking it and replace it with other supplements like high dose magnesiumglycinate or l-theanine (it was very mild for me but helped somewhat). The evidence for it messing upp hormones/pubery is enough for me, compared to the benefits.

I only have experiences with high doses 2-4 mg. (0,5 mg or lower may be OK to initiate sleep althought i dont think its worth it). Im not sure but i feel like occasionally benzos (like clonazepam) can be better for this purpose, if you really cant sleep.

Elephanto

@ma3life It's the habits that matter, if your staple diet is shifting health/testosterone balance toward the positive end, then the exceptions matter much less. That's why it becomes useful to not have too much variety, that way you can isolate what is helping and what is not. And then some micros and utility-foods can be taken once a week or so. Like I'll also eat broccoli once a week which is anti-estrogenic but as a staple it would lower thyroid activity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arrade

@ma3life It's the habits that matter, if your staple diet is shifting health/testosterone balance toward the positive end, then the exceptions matter much less. That's why it becomes useful to not have too much variety, that way you can isolate what is helping and what is not. And then some micros and utility-foods can be taken once a week or so. Like I'll also eat broccoli once a week which is anti-estrogenic but as a staple it would lower thyroid activity.
I'm reading a book right now that veggies like broccoli have compounds in them they don't actually impair thyroid function and contain vital nutrients.
https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Medi...r=8-1&keywords=thyroid+healing+medical+medium

Arrade

If your under 25 and care about your full development, i would stop taking it and replace it with other supplements like high dose magnesiumglycinate or l-theanine (it was very mild for me but helped somewhat). The evidence for it messing upp hormones/pubery is enough for me, compared to the benefits.

I only have experiences with high doses 2-4 mg. (0,5 mg or lower may be OK to initiate sleep althought i dont think its worth it). Im not sure but i feel like occasionally benzos (like clonazepam) can be better for this purpose, if you really cant sleep.
Thanks man, not going to use melatonin anymore, seems it is a hormone and not some sleep supplement.
I was considering zma

Elephanto

I'm reading a book right now that veggies like broccoli have compounds in them they don't actually impair thyroid function and contain vital nutrients.
https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Medi...r=8-1&keywords=thyroid+healing+medical+medium

What's the counter-argument to broccoli being classified as goitrogenic ?

Quite interestingly, in this study they find that increased intake of cruciferous vegetables increase thyroid cancer risks (+47% to +86%) in subjects who have a daily Iodine intake of less than 96ug/day, but in those that get more than 96ug/day, there is a decrease in risks of 23% for a daily intake of 27.8-65.4 grams of cruciferous vegetables, but this decrease falls to 2% when the intake of cruciferous vegetables exceeds 65.4 grams. At least it shows that they should be consumed in moderation even when Iodine intake is optimal.
Role of dietary iodine and cruciferous vegetables in thyroid cancer: a countrywide case-control study in New Caledonia

Low cruciferous vegetables intake has also been linked to increased risks of prostate cancer, so they definitely have beneficial effects in moderation.

Arrade

What's the counter-argument to broccoli being classified as goitrogenic ?

Quite interestingly, in this study they find that increased intake of cruciferous vegetables increase thyroid cancer risks (+47% to +86%) in subjects who have a daily Iodine intake of less than 96ug/day, but in those that get more than 96ug/day, there is a decrease in risks of 23% for a daily intake of 27.8-65.4 grams of cruciferous vegetables, but this decrease falls to 2% when the intake of cruciferous vegetables exceeds 65.4 grams. At least it shows that they should be consumed in moderation even when Iodine intake is optimal.
Role of dietary iodine and cruciferous vegetables in thyroid cancer: a countrywide case-control study in New Caledonia

Low cruciferous vegetables intake has also been linked to increased risks of prostate cancer, so they definitely have beneficial effects in moderation.
I'm not sure what science was behind it, it was one ideas about vegetables in this book:

Usually lowering estrogen is a good thing, which I heard broccoli does. I don't have enough evidence to really prove anything

bboone

@ma3wa

B6 at night has increased prolactin in a study, maybe it's hindering your recovery. You need light to activate dopamine so B6 should be taken during the day. I think Magnesium should be sufficient to calm the mind for sleep, provided it's not in citrate form which could irritate the gut and keep you awake. Glycine will help too. BTW I wasn't advicing taking melatonin as a supplement but that it shouldn't be minimized, and that working on the core issues leading to reduced natural production of melatonin will bring plenty of benefits.

Growth, I don't know. Some people have noticed I grew at like 27, kind of weird. That was after 2 months of doing Intermittent Fasting (raises growth hormone but that's not the reason why I do it) and avoiding dairy, sugar and fatty foods, all this leading to noticeably higher testosterone levels.

Safe androgenic substances : Ginseng, royal jelly, ginger, saffron, DHEA, pregnenolone, Zinc, Copper, Selenium, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, B1, B5, B6, Biotin, Vit D, K2, Betaine, Olive Oil (1-2 teaspoons). Doing sprints and lifting (especially squats and shoulder work). Plenty of carbs. Restricting tryptophan, wearing blue-blocking glasses when starring at screens. Avoiding dioxins and phtalates, easiest way is a vegan diet of white rice, legumes and veggies since all meats, dairy, eggs contain them but the occasional red meat might have a beneficial effect because of its Carnitine content. Also avoiding Omega 6s, Canola Oil, Sugar, Hops (Beer), Alcohol, Cannabis, Soy, Stevia, Brown Rice, Sesame seeds, Lycopene (Tomato), ejaculation, plastic, chemical soaps/shampoos (wash with bicarbonate sodium), heat to testicles (tight pants and underwears), chlorine-heavy pools. I don't remember what but I had found something negative about Aspartic Acid, I'll make sure to reply if I remember.

are you saying the best diet to increase T is a vegan diet with white rice, legumes and veggies, avoiding dairy, saturated fat and sugar...? this doesn't really agree with the consensus on this forum

Elephanto

are you saying the best diet to increase T is a vegan diet with white rice, legumes and veggies, avoiding dairy, saturated fat and sugar...? this doesn't really agree with the consensus on this forum
Certainly not avoiding saturated fats, no. My bad for not mentioning it as I only mentioned avoiding mufas/pufas. It's also because I had a previous experience that was very positive on super low fat where I developed androgenic features I didn't have before and estrogen was consistently low, but there was a lot of confounding variables and this period was characterized by being vegan, no take-out food, no oil added and almost no sugar. It was also summer, I was active and low stress. But then this wasn't practical to get enough cals so as of now I'm eating about 2-3 tbsps of coconut oil a day and added organic dairy cream for Palmitic Acid as I wanted the cortisol reduction benefits which seems effective. Dairy is a source of dioxins so I'm still not sure about that dietary choice. There's cocoa butter but it's always packaged in plastic, though maybe the saturation prevents incorporation. I remember reading that fat was one of the elements that increased bioavailability and risk of microplastic contamination. Acidity and heat are other obvious ones.

I do believe avoiding things like microplastics and dioxins which are more bioavailable in meat can make a huge difference. One study I posted a thread about previously showed that chicken and eggs consumption strongly predicted and correlated with the amount of microplastics analyzed in the body of humans. Plus there's a study where the levels of several metalloestrogens (Lead, Cadmium etc) drastically drop when subjects were switched to a lactovegetarian diet; suggesting that meat is by far our main source of heavy metal toxicity.

Based on dioxins alone, I think that reducing meat consumption is pro-androgenic. Right now I'm not vegan, I eat red meat about 3 times a week. It's the only type of meat I eat, either beef or lamb. There are only a few things imo that are androgenic which you can't get on a vegan diet without supplementing and they are Vit A, Carnitine and Choline (though for the latter I think the requirements are quite low, and we produce a lot of cholesterol naturally) but it is unknown wether the net effect is androgenic if all sources you consume have anti-androgenic. Considering how supps are very concentrated, I think they would often minimize drawbacks. For instance a pure retinol supp instead of liver, but that's just my opinion. I do seem to get an androgenic effect from eating red meat a few times a week though, and it helps to increase my protein intake and build muscle. You have to be cautious with Carnitine (and so red meat excess) since it is anti-thyroid, so through Peat's prism we could easily imagine an anti-androgenic effect past a certain point; and Harvard thinks that Carnitine is what causes heart disease in meat (it does increase Nitric Oxide) but I think heme iron also plays a role. And about Heme Iron, studies suggest that high levels would help to keep androgens higher (advantageous in modern environments to counteract all the assault) despite having all the drawbacks we know of; and this in my experience is true. When Iron is higher, one should apply more antiseptic strategies.

About sugar, honestly I don't know. Intuitively I feel like a rather low intake has many advantages, but a null intake should be avoided.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals