Help me to make a non-vitamin E progesterone supplement

Bluebell

Hi all,

I love the effects of progesterone, but the vitamin E (mixed tocos) make me really sick. I had great effects from most of a bottle of progest-e last cycle, however I react really badly to vitamin E. I battled through it but I would like to make my own oral progesterone supplement dissolved in olive oil instead of vitamin E.

I don't want to take it through the skin as the progesterone will build up in fat tissues.

I was wondering whether anyone can recommend a good source of progesterone powder of the type Peat recommends, and also how to dissolve in oil?

Also whether there is anyone else who wants to take oral progesterone but has trouble with vitamin E (maybe we could persuade haidut to make a progest-olive for us if there were enough of us :) )

A

Anonymous

I don't think u are adrressing the root of your problem. U have gut sensitivity and as long as u have this your serotonin is going to be high. Anti-cholinergic meds like Cyproheptadine are often used to treat IBS. After some time on this you will be less sensitive to irritants. A short time ago I could not handle vitamin e. It even made me vomit at one point and I got stomach pains. I took a break from the vitamin e and used cypro for a month. Now I don't have any problems with vitamin e and I can tolerate a lot more irritants. There's no reason u shouldn't be able to take a small amount of vitamin e

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

it's not a gut issue - i get the same problem with vitamin E even if taken transdermally. the problem I have with E is all over aches/pain/headaches/nausea that feels like flu, not gut pain (in one earlier post I thought i had gut pain from E, but turned out it was not the E after all). Plus because I am taking a lot of progesterone the vitamin E adds up to a lot

Edited to add:
JRMoney15 said:
Now I don't have any problems with vitamin e and I can tolerate a lot more irritants.
Unless the vitamin E can go through my blood to irritate the whole body and cause the symptoms. Is my root cause still high serotonin if E causes issues even if taken transdermally, and would cypro make my entire body less likely to have problems with E? If so I'd be willing to try it as I wish I could take E.

tara

I don't know what proportion of the progest-e is vitE - not stated on the bottle.
Peat's patent is for 10%progesterone in vit-E, but that is not the kenogen recipe, which also includes MCTs from cocnut oil (but I don't know what proportion). I am assuming it still has the 10% progesterone ratio.

There was some discussion of diy progesterone solutions here - not sure how far anyone got with it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4356&start=45#p54591

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Thanks Tara.

I found the thead below interesting, where haidut says that vitamin E can possibly flare up autoimmune issues causing the flu-like feelings. I have automiummune issues. He says that high doses of A can help stop that reaction. I do get positive benefits of better skin while on E.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5835&start=15

Also there's a quote from Peat where someone was having flu-like issues with E, and Ray basically says it's because all the E nowadays is low quality and recommends that we shouldn't take very much. That makes sense as it's all from GMO soy nowadays. However, I still get the same problems with sunflower E, so maybe I'll try high A doses to test out haidut's theory.

E content in progest-e: "Natural d-alpha tocopherol &/or mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) 4-22 mg per drop". I took around 80% of a bottle in 10 days, so I took around 967mg a day (assuming average 13mg per drop and 930 drops in a bottle).

I've found some progesterone powder, micronized, from wild yam. It will be expensive but I might try making my own progest-olive. I just checked the diy thread too, thanks.

Bluebell said:
post 82053 Thanks Tara.

I found the thead below interesting, where haidut says that vitamin E can possibly flare up autoimmune issues causing the flu-like feelings. I have automiummune issues. He says that high doses of A can help stop that reaction. I do get positive benefits of better skin while on E.

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewt ... 5&start=15

Also there's a quote from Peat where someone was having flu-like issues with E, and Ray basically says it's because all the E nowadays is low quality and recommends that we shouldn't take very much. That makes sense as it's all from GMO soy nowadays. However, I still get the same problems with sunflower E, so maybe I'll try high A doses to test out haidut's theory.

E content in progest-e: "Natural d-alpha tocopherol &/or mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) 4-22 mg per drop". I took around 80% of a bottle in 10 days, so I took around 967mg a day (assuming average 13mg per drop and 930 drops in a bottle).

I've found some progesterone powder, micronized, from wild yam. It will be expensive but I might try making my own progest-olive. I just checked the diy thread too, thanks.

did you ever try it? I'm interested in making my own and need a formulation. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

Bluebell said:
post 81901 and also how to dissolve in oil?
Hi Bluebell, I don't know if you are aware of the solubility aspect. Just wanted to mention it. :)

From Townsend Letter

Ray Peat said:
If the yam-substance is applied to the skin, the saponins in it might be good for cleaning the skin (it was commonly used for washing clothes, shampooing, etc.), but they will have no hormone action. If the "menopause creams" contain estrogen, they might have a systemic effect, but the studies of topical progesterone, by Papa and Kligman, showed that progesterone had a local effect, but no detectable systemic effect. This is because of its low solubility in ordinary oil. The progesterone-vitamin E combination, which I patented, is stably dissolved so that it can be absorbed by any route transdermal, oral, rectal, or vaginal, ..."

Ray Peat said:
"Lab analysis shows that the products licensed under my patent contain by far the largest amount of progesterone of any product tested, hut the important point is that the progesterone is dissolved in vitamin E, and is completely available biologically. Crystalline progesterone isn't available transdermally, and when it is ingested, it is quickly metabolized by the bowel and the liver, into a derivative of progesterone, which has a certain biological activity, but which is chemically and biologically distinct from progesterone."

Also check Haidut's thread on Progestene.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals