Help Me Reduce My Serotonin Levels

OP
M

member 6316

cyproheptadine sucks dont know why its suggested it doesent even reduce serotonin just blocks the effect.

famotidine and benadryl much better and easier to get

Frankdee20

Yeah I'm not a fan either.

Yeah, blocking Serotonin receptors, via Cyproheptadine, doesn't stop endogenous Serotonin production, assuming it's high, and assuming it's to blame.

ddjd

One of the stronger ones is Adamantane (Haidut's Diamant). It can also potentiate any supplement you take it with. So if you take it with another anti-serotonin substance you can get even greater effects. Have you tried this one? I would read up on it first though, there is a lot more research on its derivative memantine. It is a great substance but if you take too much it can have dissociative effects (in some people).
Which receptor does amantadine antagonise

ddjd

no idea. All Im sure is I have so much serotonin in my body that it fried my CNS and my body is overactive and ruined my body, and lowered my other neurontransmitter like dopamine etc. I should really do the 23andme test.. one thing when I took 5 -mthf my fatigue lessended and I only took it for a few days I dont know what it did but it helped somewhat.
Try copper and Pregnenolone and progesterone. Worked wonders for my CNS. No more neuropathy

ddjd

You're right; ~90% of all serotonin comes from the digestive tract, and around 50-60% come from gut bacteria.

From Serotonin Production (gut) Depends On Bacteria

"They began by measuring peripheral serotonin levels in mice with normal populations of gut bacteria and also in germ-free mice that lack these resident microbes."

"...The researchers found that the EC cells from germ-free mice produced approximately 60 percent less serotonin than did their peers with conventional bacterial colonies. When these germ-free mice were recolonized with normal gut microbes, the serotonin levels went back up--showing that the deficit in serotonin can be reversed."

"...Previous work in the field indicated that some bacteria can make serotonin all by themselves. However, this new study suggests that much [but not all] of the body's serotonin relies on particular bacteria that interact with the host to produce serotonin"

From the same thread, but lower at an add-on post by haidut:

"...Our finding that colonic PCPA administration blocks the ability of the microbiota to promote colonic and blood 5-HT (Figures 3C and 3D) suggests that gut microbes require host Tph activity to upregulate peripheral 5-HT. Furthermore, SPF Tph1 KO mice lack >90% of intestinal and blood 5-HT levels (Savelieva et al., 2008), indicating that <10% of peripheral 5-HT is contributed directly by microbial synthesis or by Tph2-mediated biosynthesis in these mice. [So most of serotonin production is mediated through tryptophan hydroxylase 1 (TPH1)] We find that the microbiota regulates relatively high levels of peripheral 5-HT, 64%of colonic (Figure 1), and 49% of serum concentrations (Figure 1) (Sjo¨ gren et al., 2012; Wikoff et al., 2009), [So around half of serotonin production relies on bacteria populations.] further supporting the notion that the microbiota modulates 5-HT metabolism primarily by affecting host colonic ECs. Consistent with the understanding that ECs secrete low levels of 5-HT into the lumen, fecal concentrations of 5-HT are also significantly increased by the microbiota. Interestingly, 5-HT is reported to stimulate the growth of Enterococcus faecalis, E. coli, and Rhodospirillum rubrum in culture (Oleskin et al., 1998; Tsavkelova et al., 2006). In addition, 5-HT is a structural analog of auxins found in E. faecalis, R. rubrum, and Staphylococcus aureus, among other bacteria. Whether particular members of the microbiota alter host 5-HT biosynthesis to, in turn, support colonization, growth, or resilience of particular gut microbes is an interesting question for future study."

Some bacteria that can be used for colonizing the gut do NOT have stimulating effect on serotonin synthesis:

"...We demonstrate that indigenous spore-forming microbes from colons of SPF mice (Sp) and from a healthy human colon (hSp) sufficiently mediate microbiota effects on colonic and blood 5-HT. While we show that B. fragilis, B. uniformis, SFB, ASF, and a consortium of Bacteroides species cultured from mice, including B. thetaiotaomicron, B. acidifaciens, and B. vulgatus, have no effect on host peripheral 5-HT (Figure 3), whether other non-Sp microbial species or communities are capable of modulating colonic and serum 5-HT remains unclear."
Is there a probiotic strain that would work?

DaveFoster

Is there a probiotic strain that would work?
Maybe some of the one's I mentioned at the close of the post you quoted would work. Dr. Peat has mentioned a few, but he mostly avoids Lactobacillus strains.

mrarm

Iprazochrome/adrenochrome are serotonin downregulators. Also - 5ht1d antagonists.
This drug is used for migraines.

I have probably same situation. Do you know, how I can measure my serotonin levels?
Did you've heard about 5-HTIAA? It's not active serotonin metabolite. I think it could be checked in lab, maybe, somehow.
Serotonin is very abundant in whole organism. So I think it's some problem with measuring brain levels.

Jerimy Brown

I just created an account to say THANK YOU, to you all, for this thread...

I have been digging and researching for a while now, trying to find information on lowering serotonin levels and just kept running into tons of info on raising them, until I came across this thread.

I am a very active person, with a lifestyle that promotes high serotonin levels, and recently gave myself a mild case of serotonin syndrome by accidentally mixing a couple serotonin booster supplements to help with a back injury I was dealing with. These last few days have been miserable at best... I can feel myself improving and getting better, but I really just want to get back to normal again, as fast as possible, and this thread has been very educational.

For anyone that is curious, I am not a fan of pills or doctors prescriptions, so when I hurt my back in the gym a couple weeks ago, a friend suggested CBDs for inflammation (this seemed like a great natural solution to me, but at the time I didn't know enough about CBDs and how they work, so dumb mistake on my part), and I was having trouble sleeping through the pain, so I started taking melatonin, without realizing the melatonin I was taking had 5-htp in it (needless to say I will be reading labels much more closely from here on out). After about a week of taking both of those things together, I woke up one morning in a pure panic, feeling supper moody, dizzy, shivering, sweating, nauseated, muscle soreness... All the usual side effects of what I have since learned to be serotonin syndrome.

In my usual fashion, I do not want to take drugs, if they aren't necessary, so I am attempting to help my body self regulate, with diet and natural supplements...

So again, thank you all so much, for so much great information.

InChristAlone

I don't know what y'all are talking about with cypro, it has the ability to stop serotonin syndrome! Sure it won't lower the levels naturally, its a drug, but you will definitely get a stop to serotonin symptoms. I have to be careful because it will give me constipation. I think people just can't overcome the low histamine. Which is wakeful and stimulating. If you require stimulants to be alert then it is likely not the drug for you. I don't have a coffee habit anymore and can tolerate the cypro just fine.

X3CyO

Laxatives/Stimulate Digestion > Direct inhibition of Serotonin

Jerimy Brown

Laxatives/Stimulate Digestion > Direct inhibition of Serotonin

I have found this to be true so far as well.

One other question for you all... I have been scouring the internet for hours here, trying to figure out what I can eat during this time, while I am trying to normalize my serotonin levels.

I made a soup last night, with bone broth, carrot, potato and some pasta, I have also found guacamole to be quite agreeable, I have also read that white rice and gelatin are supposed to be good. When I eat these things I feel great, but if I eat the wrong things, I feel like I am relapsing or something, so trying to find a list of safe foods if you will.

Are there any lists on this forum anywhere of other foods that are safe for someone recovering from serotonin syndrome?

Not trying to be lazy, just having a hard time finding info, seems like everyone under the sun wants a serotonin boost, and I want the opposite, so having a hard time finding the search criteria that return what I need/want and right now I just want to recover and not have to spend every day scouring the internet for a food choice... It's also tough for me, because before this, I was on a diet of intermittent fasting that had me only eating one meal a day, so not used to having to eat this much/often, but if I don't right now, I feel terrible ;)

Jerimy Brown

I have found this to be true so far as well.

One other question for you all... I have been scouring the internet for hours here, trying to figure out what I can eat during this time, while I am trying to normalize my serotonin levels.

I made a soup last night, with bone broth, carrot, potato and some pasta, I have also found guacamole to be quite agreeable, I have also read that white rice and gelatin are supposed to be good. When I eat these things I feel great, but if I eat the wrong things, I feel like I am relapsing or something, so trying to find a list of safe foods if you will.

Are there any lists on this forum anywhere of other foods that are safe for someone recovering from serotonin syndrome?

Not trying to be lazy, just having a hard time finding info, seems like everyone under the sun wants a serotonin boost, and I want the opposite, so having a hard time finding the search criteria that return what I need/want and right now I just want to recover and not have to spend every day scouring the internet for a food choice... It's also tough for me, because before this, I was on a diet of intermittent fasting that had me only eating one meal a day, so not used to having to eat this much/often, but if I don't right now, I feel terrible ;)

Feel free to ignore this question I have since discovered a bunch of the ray peat diet pages, and since it seems you can't delete a post after some period of time, I just didn't want anyone wasting their time posting links for me ;)... Thanks again

Blake

The best way to reduce serotonin is to increase stomach acid. Megadoses of niacin are extremely useful in this regard. Not peaty but it works.
I thought Pepcid is supposed to help lower it and it’s a acid reducer

Back
Top Bottom