Help Me Reduce My Serotonin Levels

OP
M

member 6316

@farshad, do you have rs6323 snp?
no idea. All Im sure is I have so much serotonin in my body that it fried my CNS and my body is overactive and ruined my body, and lowered my other neurontransmitter like dopamine etc. I should really do the 23andme test.. one thing when I took 5 -mthf my fatigue lessended and I only took it for a few days I dont know what it did but it helped somewhat.

TeslaFan

no idea. All Im sure is I have so much serotonin in my body that it fried my CNS and lowered my other neurontransmitter like dopamine etc. I should really do the 23andme test.. one thing when I took 5 -mthf my fatigue lessended and I only took it for a few days I dont know what it did but it helped somewhat.

How much do you have? Have you measured it?

Constatine

no idea. All Im sure is I have so much serotonin in my body that it fried my CNS and my body is overactive and ruined my body, and lowered my other neurontransmitter like dopamine etc. I should really do the 23andme test.. one thing when I took 5 -mthf my fatigue lessended and I only took it for a few days I dont know what it did but it helped somewhat.
Do you have chronic fatigue syndrome?

OP
M

member 6316

hmm i might actually do the 23andme test ..

OP
M

member 6316

does carrots reduce serotonin? like would carrot juice work?

Frankdee20

Can someone please tell me how anything other than checking blood levels of Serotonin is empirical evidence for excessive or normal ranges ? These ranges would have a standard set by the labs ? Whose to say those standards are Peat friendly? And whose to say that they aren't? Also, how would anyone know how exactly 5HT is manifesting in their brain with respect to too much at one receptor, or too much of it altogether, etc. Even if we could routinely measure brain 5ht levels, how practical would this even be ? I don't think one can assume they have low or high Serotonin so readily, with great conviction just by checking somatic or psychological symptoms off subjectively. It's absolutely not definitive! For example, it's quite easy to mess with supplements based on what theoretically should work if you have too much or too little Serotonin. I used to think I was tired and blah all the time from low dopamine, then took 1 tyrosine capsule and had terrible agitation and anxiety. It's not this easy to figure out what will work, so how does anyone really know ?

tara

>95% of the serotonin in your body comes from bacteria in your digestive tract
Where do you get that number from?

I understood the serotonin in the gut to be released in response to stretching, friction and irritation in the GI tract. Which could arise from bacteria, but could have other sources too, such as tough or fibrous foods, or particular foods one has a sensitivity to, or constipation?

Ok do you have a better idea
You really should post a thorough detail of your diet say for a week. Maybe people here could see things you don't; maybe there are variables there that are increasing your serotonin on top of your genetics.
+1
Relax and do some learning about all this and eventually you will find many answers and solutions that will give you a diet and lifestyle to reduce serotonin.

Also please understand that this forum will not accept "Genetics" as the ultimate cause of anything like high serotonin. It is commonly known now that the environment around you will be causing genes to be expressed or not. I.e Your diet and your lifestyle.
+1

All Im sure is I have so much serotonin in my body that it fried my CNS and my body is overactive and ruined my body, and lowered my other neurontransmitter like dopamine etc.
You seem to have made a guess based on relatively little information and to be reluctant to consider learning more or considering other possibilities. Unless you are willing to learn more about how your body works and the likely mechanisms of action of various of various approaches, I am concerned about the safety of your self-experimentation with drugs etc.

DaveFoster

Where do you get that number from?

I understood the serotonin in the gut to be released in response to stretching, friction and irritation in the GI tract. Which could arise from bacteria, but could have other sources too, such as tough or fibrous foods, or particular foods one has a sensitivity to, or constipation?
"The normal intestine contains about 95% of the serotonin in the body (and the brain normally contains only about 1%), and in the normal person only about 1% of the dietary tryptophan is converted to serotonin."

- Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation

Serotonin Production (gut) Depends On Bacteria

Serotonin Production In The Gut Is Fully Controlled By Microbiome

tara

"The normal intestine contains about 95% of the serotonin in the body (and the brain normally contains only about 1%), and in the normal person only about 1% of the dietary tryptophan is converted to serotonin."

- Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation

Serotonin Production (gut) Depends On Bacteria

Serotonin Production In The Gut Is Fully Controlled By Microbiome
Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see any of those links saying all the serotonin in the gut comes from bacteria.

DaveFoster

Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see any of those links saying all the serotonin in the gut comes from bacteria.
You're right; ~90% of all serotonin comes from the digestive tract, and around 50-60% come from gut bacteria.

From Serotonin Production (gut) Depends On Bacteria

"They began by measuring peripheral serotonin levels in mice with normal populations of gut bacteria and also in germ-free mice that lack these resident microbes."

"...The researchers found that the EC cells from germ-free mice produced approximately 60 percent less serotonin than did their peers with conventional bacterial colonies. When these germ-free mice were recolonized with normal gut microbes, the serotonin levels went back up--showing that the deficit in serotonin can be reversed."

"...Previous work in the field indicated that some bacteria can make serotonin all by themselves. However, this new study suggests that much [but not all] of the body's serotonin relies on particular bacteria that interact with the host to produce serotonin"

From the same thread, but lower at an add-on post by haidut:

"...Our finding that colonic PCPA administration blocks the ability of the microbiota to promote colonic and blood 5-HT (Figures 3C and 3D) suggests that gut microbes require host Tph activity to upregulate peripheral 5-HT. Furthermore, SPF Tph1 KO mice lack >90% of intestinal and blood 5-HT levels (Savelieva et al., 2008), indicating that <10% of peripheral 5-HT is contributed directly by microbial synthesis or by Tph2-mediated biosynthesis in these mice. [So most of serotonin production is mediated through tryptophan hydroxylase 1 (TPH1)] We find that the microbiota regulates relatively high levels of peripheral 5-HT, 64%of colonic (Figure 1), and 49% of serum concentrations (Figure 1) (Sjo¨ gren et al., 2012; Wikoff et al., 2009), [So around half of serotonin production relies on bacteria populations.] further supporting the notion that the microbiota modulates 5-HT metabolism primarily by affecting host colonic ECs. Consistent with the understanding that ECs secrete low levels of 5-HT into the lumen, fecal concentrations of 5-HT are also significantly increased by the microbiota. Interestingly, 5-HT is reported to stimulate the growth of Enterococcus faecalis, E. coli, and Rhodospirillum rubrum in culture (Oleskin et al., 1998; Tsavkelova et al., 2006). In addition, 5-HT is a structural analog of auxins found in E. faecalis, R. rubrum, and Staphylococcus aureus, among other bacteria. Whether particular members of the microbiota alter host 5-HT biosynthesis to, in turn, support colonization, growth, or resilience of particular gut microbes is an interesting question for future study."

Some bacteria that can be used for colonizing the gut do NOT have stimulating effect on serotonin synthesis:

"...We demonstrate that indigenous spore-forming microbes from colons of SPF mice (Sp) and from a healthy human colon (hSp) sufficiently mediate microbiota effects on colonic and blood 5-HT. While we show that B. fragilis, B. uniformis, SFB, ASF, and a consortium of Bacteroides species cultured from mice, including B. thetaiotaomicron, B. acidifaciens, and B. vulgatus, have no effect on host peripheral 5-HT (Figure 3), whether other non-Sp microbial species or communities are capable of modulating colonic and serum 5-HT remains unclear."

REOSIRENS

Tianiptine + Phenylalanine

Lithium

Sodium Butyrate

Active charcoal

Cyproheptadine

Leucine(only ) without isoleucine valine )

They are the most powerful short term solution to reduce serotonin... especially in the gut

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom