Help Me Make Sense Of This. New To Peat

sol757

I'm new to Peat's work and have been reading all that I can. I gave birth 12 weeks ago and have experienced a lot in that relatively short time frame. Long story short, I was placed on Zoloft for night sweats and panic. The Zoloft terribly amplified my symptoms and I stopped it after 4 days. It caused severe restlessness, anxiety, head pressure, tremor, jaw clenching, and disconnect from reality/Alice in wonderland type symptoms. I was having many of these symptoms before along with vertigo, but not as severe or constant as when on the Zoloft. This led me to believe that perhaps my issue was too much serotonin to begin with and through researching this I came across Peat's work. Benadryl greatly reduces these symptoms and was a life saver when on the Zoloft for those 4 days. I'm still having to take Benadryl almost nightly though (still have period jaw tightness, anxiety, difficulty sleeping, vertigo) and it has been two weeks since the last dose. I started a peat inspired diet about 3 days ago and have been getting 3,000 calories a day in (since I'm breastfeeding) and my energy has been a little better but I've noticed some abdominal bloating. I would guess my calorie intake was probably 1500-1800 before. I have a doctors appointment in a few days to discuss all this and was going to insist on some labs. Does this sound like I'm on the right track? I'm really hoping to end the night time wakenings and anxiety, along with the dizziness and the over sensitivity to loud noises, brain fog and such. I'm not liking having to take Benadryl daily with nursing, but I'm seriously struggling with these symptoms and trying to figure out what's going on with the interplay of serotonin, prolactin, and cortisol. I'm also getting some attention from loved ones because of my new "diet"

Orion

Things that I think would help, when added to your diet.
Keep PUFA intake extremely low.
2 Quarts 1% milk per day - provides quality protein for liver to function, B vitamins, sugar for glycogen/energy and low PUFA. Increases calcium intake, very important for breastfeeding.
1 Quart OJ per day - provides magnesium, potassium and sucrose to lower insulin response.
Coffee with sugar/milk - magnesium and increase progesterone. Small amounts if blood sugar issues, can help lean out liver long term.
Coconut oil
Vitamin A/E/K - weekly serving of liver or use topical supplements.
Avoiding wheat if possible and only use very well cooked starches, to lower endotoxin(serotonin, estrogen)
Raw carrot eaten awhile from meals, to lower endotoxin(serotonin, estrogen)
Generous salt to taste on meals and in liquids. Use bright white canning salt. Helps maintain magnesium.
Lots of sun exposure, and bright incandescent lights all day until bedtime.

I'm really hoping to end the night time wakenings and anxiety

I think the main issues here is a sluggish liver that doesn't hold enough glycogen, stress hormones (adrenaline/cortisol) are elevated at night to keep your blood sugar stable, which will wake you up, cause sweating and panic attacks. All of the above should help to start alleviate that. Sugary, salty and saturated fat (coconut oil) snack before bed can help, keep some OJ with pinch of salt on nightstand if you wake up. Salt helps keep adrenaline down.

Search the forum and read Ray's articles on his site, they can be very very helpful when you are looking for help with a particular symptom.

OP
S

sol757

Thanks so much for your reply. The liver being sluggish makes sense to me. I hurt my back after delivery and was taking quite a bit of Tylenol for a few weeks before these symptoms started...1000 mg twice a day. I haven't taken any Tylenol for a few weeks now.

I'm scared to prepare liver, but need to just do it. Eating liver would probably help with my liver function. I have upped my calcium intake significantly. Going to switch to 1% to keep the fat lower. I was not drinking milk before, so I'm sure I was not meeting my calcium needs.

In my case my prolactin levels have to by high to nurse and I wish there was something out there that speaks to the special metabolic state of breastfeeding and optimizing hormones. My understanding is that elevated prolactin means increased serotonin.

OP
S

sol757

Oh, and I've dramatically changed my diet to your suggestions (except the liver). My husband is very doubtful seeing me drink so much milk and OJ with liberal amounts of sugar I also have been doing bone broths for quite some time, but didn't know that chicken wasn't that great. Only going to do beef broths now. I went ahead and purchased some Great Lakes gelatin too (I've used it in the past) and have been using a tablespoon three or four times a day to help me get more protein in and balance the tryptophan in the milk.

OP
S

sol757

Do you drink coffee?

Yes, I've also upped the amount which goes against everything I used to know. 2 large cups in the morning with cream and sugar, sometimes gelatin, and another cup in the afternoon the same way. Do you know if black tea is beneficial? In the evening it is more convenient for me to make black tea with cream and sugar...

Orion

Thanks so much for your reply. The liver being sluggish makes sense to me. I hurt my back after delivery and was taking quite a bit of Tylenol for a few weeks before these symptoms started...1000 mg twice a day. I haven't taken any Tylenol for a few weeks now.

I'm scared to prepare liver, but need to just do it. Eating liver would probably help with my liver function. I have upped my calcium intake significantly. Going to switch to 1% to keep the fat lower. I was not drinking milk before, so I'm sure I was not meeting my calcium needs.

In my case my prolactin levels have to by high to nurse and I wish there was something out there that speaks to the special metabolic state of breastfeeding and optimizing hormones. My understanding is that elevated prolactin means increased serotonin.

Sounds like you have a good knowledge of RP, gelatin would be very beneficial.

In breastfeeding I believe prolactin should be higher then normal, but avoiding plain water, lots of salt to taste, high calcium, and things that promote progesterone(vitamin A/E/K, OJ(magnesium), sugar, very low PUFA, raw carrot, thyroid) and oppose estrogen should balance it out. Prolactin and growth hormone are intertwined.

"Prolactin (which is promoted by estrogen, and inhibited by progesterone) increases with stress and with age. It probably affects every tissue, but it seems to have its greatest effects on the secretory membranes. It is known to have strong effects on the kidney, gut and skin (sweat and oil glands, hair follicles, and feathers in birds), and on the gills of fish. Its involvement with milk production suggests that it might mobilize calcium from bones, and in fact it does contribute to osteoporosis."

"It isn't surprising that the Growth Hormone helps breasts develop and promotes milk production, since it is very similar to prolactin. GH and prolactin are members of a family of proteins that have diverged from each other in evolution, but they still have many overlapping effects."

"For example, hormones in this family are, as far back in evolution as they have been studied, involved in the regulation of water and minerals. It is well established that increased water (hypotonicity) stimulates prolactin, and increased sodium inhibits its secretion. Growth hormone is also closely involved with the regulation of water and salts."

"One of the best known metabolic effects of GH is that, like adrenalin, it mobilizes fatty acids from storage. GH is known to antagonize insulin, and one of the ways it does this is simply by the ability of increased free fatty acids to block the oxidation of glucose. At puberty, the increased GH creates a mild degree of diabetes-like insulin resistance, which tends to increase progressively with age."

Orion

Yes, I've also upped the amount which goes against everything I used to know. 2 large cups in the morning with cream and sugar, sometimes gelatin, and another cup in the afternoon the same way. Do you know if black tea is beneficial? In the evening it is more convenient for me to make black tea with cream and sugar...

Monitor your mood and sleep as you increase caffeine/coffee, it can quickly use up your liver sugar and cause stress response, jitters during the day and sleepless nights.

M

member 2106

I'd personally suggest that you exercise caution with caffeine if you have anxiety issues. One cup per week seems to work best for me in terms of keeping anxiety at bay, but I may be much more sensitive to it than most.

You might want to consider supplementing Magnesium. Have you tried Epsom Salt baths?

OP
S

sol757

I'd personally suggest that you exercise caution with caffeine if you have anxiety issues. One cup per week seems to work best for me in terms of keeping anxiety at bay, but I may be much more sensitive to it than most.

You might want to consider supplementing Magnesium. Have you tried Epsom Salt baths?

I've been drinking coffee every morning for at least 8 years, but usually only 1 cup or 2. I can't drink it black or it will make me very jittery. With cream and sugar it has always had more positive effects...increased alertness. I just recently increased my caffeine intake this week based on what I have read from RP, but I have my concerns about possible effects on my baby. He doesn't seem to be acting more irritable, but mainstream health says that caffeine isn't as quickly eliminated in infants... Need to study this more to see how much caffeine gets into the milk supply.

As far as magnesium, I have been supplementing with Natural Calm for the last year but not consistently. Mostly because I read that it can help prevent migraines, which I have a history of getting (classical with aura). I decided to stop taking it though and just do Epsom salt and OJ. I have been doing this nightly now. I also stopped taking my plant based prenatal this last week (Rainbow Light brand).

I know that perhaps it's just too soon to see to many changes. I have been quite miserable though and frustrated with doctors just prescribing something without any blood work.

OP
S

sol757

Sounds like you have a good knowledge of RP, gelatin would be very beneficial.

In breastfeeding I believe prolactin should be higher then normal, but avoiding plain water, lots of salt to taste, high calcium, and things that promote progesterone(vitamin A/E/K, OJ(magnesium), sugar, very low PUFA, raw carrot, thyroid) and oppose estrogen should balance it out. Prolactin and growth hormone are intertwined.

"Prolactin (which is promoted by estrogen, and inhibited by progesterone) increases with stress and with age. It probably affects every tissue, but it seems to have its greatest effects on the secretory membranes. It is known to have strong effects on the kidney, gut and skin (sweat and oil glands, hair follicles, and feathers in birds), and on the gills of fish. Its involvement with milk production suggests that it might mobilize calcium from bones, and in fact it does contribute to osteoporosis."

"It isn't surprising that the Growth Hormone helps breasts develop and promotes milk production, since it is very similar to prolactin. GH and prolactin are members of a family of proteins that have diverged from each other in evolution, but they still have many overlapping effects."

"For example, hormones in this family are, as far back in evolution as they have been studied, involved in the regulation of water and minerals. It is well established that increased water (hypotonicity) stimulates prolactin, and increased sodium inhibits its secretion. Growth hormone is also closely involved with the regulation of water and salts."

"One of the best known metabolic effects of GH is that, like adrenalin, it mobilizes fatty acids from storage. GH is known to antagonize insulin, and one of the ways it does this is simply by the ability of increased free fatty acids to block the oxidation of glucose. At puberty, the increased GH creates a mild degree of diabetes-like insulin resistance, which tends to increase progressively with age."

Makes sense! I was drinking lots of water with a not so good lemonade mixture (had estergum? In it...not sure what it is but doesn't sound good) and starches and vegetables and nuts. I'm finding it easier to eat RP, since it seems simple and lends easily to snacking all day. Makes me a little nervous because it is so radically different than what I've been taught. The science seems more coherent than what I've experienced at doctor offices though.

OP
S

sol757

Things that I think would help, when added to your diet.
Keep PUFA intake extremely low.
2 Quarts 1% milk per day - provides quality protein for liver to function, B vitamins, sugar for glycogen/energy and low PUFA. Increases calcium intake, very important for breastfeeding.
1 Quart OJ per day - provides magnesium, potassium and sucrose to lower insulin response.
Coffee with sugar/milk - magnesium and increase progesterone. Small amounts if blood sugar issues, can help lean out liver long term.
Coconut oil
Vitamin A/E/K - weekly serving of liver or use topical supplements.
Avoiding wheat if possible and only use very well cooked starches, to lower endotoxin(serotonin, estrogen)
Raw carrot eaten awhile from meals, to lower endotoxin(serotonin, estrogen)
Generous salt to taste on meals and in liquids. Use bright white canning salt. Helps maintain magnesium.
Lots of sun exposure, and bright incandescent lights all day until bedtime.

I think the main issues here is a sluggish liver that doesn't hold enough glycogen, stress hormones (adrenaline/cortisol) are elevated at night to keep your blood sugar stable, which will wake you up, cause sweating and panic attacks. All of the above should help to start alleviate that. Sugary, salty and saturated fat (coconut oil) snack before bed can help, keep some OJ with pinch of salt on nightstand if you wake up. Salt helps keep adrenaline down.

Search the forum and read Ray's articles on his site, they can be very very helpful when you are looking for help with a particular symptom.

I have had severe hypoglycemia after a glucose tolerance test when pregnant...37! It was awful and doctors just shrugged and said eat more often. Rereading this comment makes me think more about this. I'll have to research how to improve liver function. I just read in the email exchange from RP that suggests taking a little antihistamine before bed to help with the stress response in the middle of the night... I found this out on my own, but perhaps my nightly Benadryl isn't so bad after all.

"[Headaches and shakiness] An inefficient liver that, among other things, doesn't store enough glycogen to last the whole night, is a common cause of both headaches and shakiness. Lots of light exposure to the whole body helps to increase metabolic efficiency. Liver and oysters about once a week, while keeping stress low, have nutrients that help with liver efficiency. Cyproheptadine, a small amount at bedtime, reduces night stress, might help the headaches and shakiness.

Low blood sugar increases the absorption of toxin from the intestine as well as activating nerve reflexes and inflammation, so keeping the intestine active and clean with mild fiber, and blocking inflammation with aspirin and antihistamine, is usually helpful."

I can't do aspirin because I'm concerned about it passing to baby (Reyes). I did take some activated charcoal last night at 3 am after a night feeding. Started a daily carrot 4 days ago.

OP
S

sol757

Getting sunlight is tough right now...I live in the Pacific NW. I haven't looked into light options yet. I have a heat lamp from raising our chickens. Does that work? I'm really going to get attention then. My husband already thinks I have erratic behavior :shock:

Orion

RP that suggests taking a little antihistamine before bed to help with the stress response in the middle of the night... I found this out on my own, but perhaps my nightly Benadryl isn't so bad after all.

Periactin (Cyprohepdatine) is another safe anti-histamine, and talked about alot on this forum. Available OTC at pharmacies.

Clear heat lamps are good, I use a 250W lamp, exposing as much bare skin, and getting as much time as I can in the northern winter. Red light in the spectrum can help with the lacking sunlight.

Aspirin can be very beneficial, but maybe best used after breastfeeding. Although RP has mentioned that Reyes is not caused by it, and studies showed it was 'tylenol' pain killers.

"In the 1980s, there was a big publicity campaign warning parents that giving aspirin to a child with the flu could cause the potentially deadly Reye syndrome. Aspirin sales declined sharply, as sales of acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) increased tremendously. But in Australia, a study of Reye syndrome cases found that six times as many of them had been using acetaminophen as had used aspirin. (Orlowski, et al., 1987) " So it might be safe...

OP
S

sol757

Periactin (Cyprohepdatine) is another safe anti-histamine, and talked about alot on this forum. Available OTC at pharmacies.

Clear heat lamps are good, I use a 250W lamp, exposing as much bare skin, and getting as much time as I can in the northern winter. Red light in the spectrum can help with the lacking sunlight.

Aspirin can be very beneficial, but maybe best used after breastfeeding. Although RP has mentioned that Reyes is not caused by it, and studies showed it was 'tylenol' pain killers.

"In the 1980s, there was a big publicity campaign warning parents that giving aspirin to a child with the flu could cause the potentially deadly Reye syndrome. Aspirin sales declined sharply, as sales of acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) increased tremendously. But in Australia, a study of Reye syndrome cases found that six times as many of them had been using acetaminophen as had used aspirin. (Orlowski, et al., 1987) " So it might be safe...

I did not know this!!! Wow. I was taking lots of Tylenol too

MistyH

Try to remember too that copper is at its highest post delivery. That causes a great deal of anxiety. Ceruloplasmin is the protein needed for proper copper metabolism. The adrenals and liver are involved in this process so doing some bag breathing, vitamin A and electrolytes are important as well as your Boron. Prunes, raisins and currants are good options.

You'll detox that copper...it will just take time.

Congratulations and enjoy that new baby

tara

Congratulations on your baby.
and have been getting 3,000 calories a day in (since I'm breastfeeding) and my energy has been a little better but I've noticed some abdominal bloating. I would guess my calorie intake was probably 1500-1800 before.
Glad you've bumped up the food. Both you and baby probably need it.

I had night sweats for a while, worse after my babies were born (and not a tall during pregnancy). My guess about what stopped them is eating enough to avoid such blood sugar drops at night, and taking progesterone to oppose excessive estrogen. I took a break from the progesterone recently, have been accidentally eating less the last while, and have had a few mild night sweats again. I've resumed the progesterone, and will be trying to get my food intake up again.

OP
S

sol757

Well, I got my labs back after explaining my symptoms to my doctor (and an ER visit two weeks ago because of the zoloft) and they look pretty normal....

FREE T4 0.73 0.61-1.27 (ng/dL)

F TSH 1.241 0.400-4.600 (uIU/mL)

SODIUM 136 135-145 (mmol/L)
POTASSIUM 4.1 3.5-5.2 (mmol/L)
CHLORIDE 102 95-109 (mmol/L)
CO2 26 22-32 (mmol/L)
ANION GAP 8 3-12 (mmol/L)
GLUCOSE 81 70-99 (mg/dL)
BUN 13 6-20 (mg/dL)
CREATININE 0.71 0.44-1.03 (mg/dL)
GFR NON-BLACK (CKD-EPI) 112 >=60 (mL/min/1.73m2)
GFR BLACK (CKD-EPI) 129 >=60 (mL/min/1.73m2)
PROTEIN, TOTAL 7.6 6.2-8.4 (g/dL)
ALBUMIN 4.3 3.5-5.0 (g/dL)
GLOBULIN 3.3 2.2-3.5 (g/dL)
CALCIUM 9.5 8.6-10.2 (mg/dL)
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.4 0.1-1.2 (mg/dL)
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 68 30-110 (U/L)
ALT 24 15-54 (U/L)
AST 25 15-41 (U/L)

Since starting RP and taking a nightly Benadryl, I haven't woken up in the middle of the night. The daytime jaw clenching persists and in the evening I get some brain fog, buzzing sensation in my head, and occasional tinnitus. I had a coworker comment that I looked very pale and asked if I was alright when experiencing this at work (she had no knowledge of my symptoms or that I wasn't feeling well).

Any insight? Thank you so much!