Help Me Bulletproof My Eyes (Yearly Torn Retina!)

Ben Seb

Hi

I'm a newby here but have been on a path of functional nutrition and healing for a while now. Looking for some advice/help please?

Background

4 years ago I was going through a period of bad health, caused by mould exposure, high stress, too much gym, etc.

During this time I had 2 big retinal tears, which I had laser treatment to repair. But the following few years, over winter, I had more (smaller) tears and a epiretinal membrane form (a scar on the retina). I ended up with poor adrenal output, LOTS of food intolerances that I'm only just overcoming.

I'm really keen to be as proactive about this as possible, as I know this is related to being out of balance, it's too much of a coincidence based upon what else was going on.

Since then, I have focused on nutrition (diet is good) but I've not yet nailed everything as I still feel some symptoms, get floaters, etc and heading into winter I'd like some advice.

I've also run some tests, and found that my Copper/Zinc and Magnesium/Calcium ratios were out of whack. Also my Riboflavin levels were low. I also have eczems which co-incides with these issues, time wise (winter).

My Plan...?

I am suspecting that poor copper status, low Vitamin A and B2 may be contributing to these weaknesses, and then making me susceptible to light damage (or oxidation) to eye and bad skin.

I have already started to get as much daylight as possible, which during the summer was an hour in the morning, and an hour at lunch when working, and as much time at weekends, etc as possible.

During the winter I see an hour at lunchtime as I always get outside, rain or shine (albeit cloudy!) and I'm supplementing with red light/IR currently, and some UVB for skin.

I am now going to add lots of liver (2x/week) to my diet, as well as nuts and seeds.

Any other suggestions would be very gratefully received!

Luann

Sincerely: good luck. My dad went through surgery thrice for the same torn retina. He can't open his eye all the way now. Doctors just aren't competent and the eye is sensitive.

And why are you adding in nuts and seeds? *Curious*

OP
B

Ben Seb

Thank you

Adding in nuts/seeds as I recently did a Fatty Acids profile which showed good Omega 3, but some Omega 6 deficiencies = notably Gamma Linoic Acid. This is probably a genetic pathway issue, as I've had eczema since birth.

So adding in some Omega 6 fats I was thinking wasn't going to be too detrimental, seeing as I was well up on Omega 3 (I eat fatty fish 5-7 times a week)

Lurker

Ray Peat recommend avoiding all polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) including omega 3. You can read some of the articles on his website but it’s one of the main tenants that comes up repeatedly.

Sorry to hear about your eyes.

stressucks

I don't have any experience with your condition. Thought I'd say this though - sun seems to really help my eyes.

I get eye strain/fatigue from computers and spending time outside really helps it.

Kyle Bigman

Hi

I'm a newby here but have been on a path of functional nutrition and healing for a while now. Looking for some advice/help please?

Background

4 years ago I was going through a period of bad health, caused by mould exposure, high stress, too much gym, etc.

During this time I had 2 big retinal tears, which I had laser treatment to repair. But the following few years, over winter, I had more (smaller) tears and a epiretinal membrane form (a scar on the retina). I ended up with poor adrenal output, LOTS of food intolerances that I'm only just overcoming.

I'm really keen to be as proactive about this as possible, as I know this is related to being out of balance, it's too much of a coincidence based upon what else was going on.

Since then, I have focused on nutrition (diet is good) but I've not yet nailed everything as I still feel some symptoms, get floaters, etc and heading into winter I'd like some advice.

I've also run some tests, and found that my Copper/Zinc and Magnesium/Calcium ratios were out of whack. Also my Riboflavin levels were low. I also have eczems which co-incides with these issues, time wise (winter).

My Plan...?

I am suspecting that poor copper status, low Vitamin A and B2 may be contributing to these weaknesses, and then making me susceptible to light damage (or oxidation) to eye and bad skin.

I have already started to get as much daylight as possible, which during the summer was an hour in the morning, and an hour at lunch when working, and as much time at weekends, etc as possible.

During the winter I see an hour at lunchtime as I always get outside, rain or shine (albeit cloudy!) and I'm supplementing with red light/IR currently, and some UVB for skin.

I am now going to add lots of liver (2x/week) to my diet, as well as nuts and seeds.

Any other suggestions would be very gratefully received!
I know it's been a while but can you update us? I have floaters in my vision and I believe similar problems to you. Have you found anything that has helped?

dlind70

Find some bovine eyes and eat them eyes have a lot of zinc you need zinc and the flavonoids from the yellow spectrum the yellow spectrum is in foods like coffee the drone of coffee is because of the yellow flavonoids.

dlind70

Eyes are a direct reflex to the brain so it has a lot to do with brain health so I would focus on food set fix brain health.you are doing good by eating more nuts even though they have pufa the dreaded poofa they are balanced by vitamin e and so certain nuts like cashews hazelnut and almonds are good for your eyes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals