Help Lowering Excess Quinolinic Acid

From wikipedia...
"Quinolinic acid is a byproduct of the kynurenine pathway, which is responsible for catabolism of tryptophan in mammals. This pathway is important for its production of the coenzyme nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) and produces several neuroactive intermediates including quinolinic acid, kynurenine(KYN), kynurenic acid (KYNA), 3-hydroxykynurenine (3-HK), and 3-hydroxyanthranilic acid (3-HANA).[10][11] Quinolinic acid's neuroactive and excitatory properties are a result of NMDA receptor agonism in the brain.[11] It also acts as a neurotoxin, gliotoxin, proinflammatory mediator, and pro-oxidant molecule."

I recently started trying out 500mg of timed release vitamin b6 before bed, I read a lot of glowing reviews of it helping for sleep. I was also intrigued to see if b6 would give me a mood boost via lower prolactin / raised dopamine. Unfortunately this backfired, I tried 3 different nights, and each time I fell asleep with ease but woke up an hour or 2 later with a very anxious and uncomfortable feeling, this would last for about 2 hours and then I would fall back asleep, but end up sleeping past my alarm and messing up my sleep schedule. Apparently, there is a small percentage of people who have too much quinolinic acid, and b6 is key in the conversion of kynurenine to quinolinic acid. I highly suspect my bad reaction to the b6 was because of this.

What are some Peaty ways to lower the production of quinolinic acid? Ideally I would like to find something that heals this problem, rather than just patches it up. In general, I have trouble sleeping if I go off all supplements, something that never used to be a problem. Niacinamide, and Taurine look okay for this, however I already take these around bedtime - and evidently the constant intake of those that I get was not heavy duty enough to offset whatever the b6 just did. I wont be taking b6 again any time soon, but now it seems obvious to me I must be converting an excess of quinolinic acid.

I suspect this quinolinic acid is a big reason I have sleep troubles in general - the b6 felt exactly like the restless state I was in around year ago when I was fighting off mold sickness. The state that was induced, matches with the descriptions I have read of bacterial infections spiking quinolinic acid and creating a feeling of wired but tired. I think this pathway has been upregulated ever since I had some bad long-term mold exposure.

I'd be very interested to hear what others here have done to prevent this excitoxin from running amok. It seems very relevant to the world of RP as it is connected closely to tryptophan.

Last edited:
OP
Captain_Coconut
Bump.

OP
Captain_Coconut
500mg is a giant dose of b6, and Peat has said that 10mg is a large dose of b6.

Yeah. I pretty much figured, timed release and water soluble would be easy for my body to eliminate what it didn’t need. Lesson learned!

managing

Finally, QUIN is catabolized to NAD+ and carbon dioxide by the action of quinolinate phosphoribosyl transferase (QPRT). This enzyme has been identified in rat and human CNS tissue [10]. Magnesium ions are required for QPRT activity and there is evidence that a cysteine residue at the active site is required for catalysis [11].
Quinolinic Acid: An Endogenous Neurotoxin with Multiple Targets

Subcutaneously applied magnesium protects reliably against quinolinate-induced N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA)-mediated neurodegeneration and convulsio... - PubMed - NCBI

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals