Help Lowering Cat's Liver Enzymes!

peateats1

My cat has elevated liver enzymes that the vet and I think are caused by either the nasty dehumidifier water she was drinking, a liver tumor(no evidence for this other than the elevated enzymes), or a bacterial infection.
The vet wants to put her on denamarin for a month, but I'm hesitant to because it contains Sam-e and silybin. Hasn't Peat said Sam-e can cause cancer?

Any other suggestions or recommendations on what I can do for her instead of the denamarin? Tia

My cat has elevated liver enzymes that the vet and I think are caused by either the nasty dehumidifier water she was drinking, a liver tumor(no evidence for this other than the elevated enzymes), or a bacterial infection.
The vet wants to put her on denamarin for a month, but I'm hesitant to because it contains Sam-e and silybin. Hasn't Peat said Sam-e can cause cancer?

Any other suggestions or recommendations on what I can do for her instead of the denamarin? Tia

Only a Lifestyle suggestion in general, 2 of the oldest cats in the world and their Food:
Creme Puff (cat) - Wikipedia

That's super interesting, thank you for posting! I'll see what I can do and incorporate into her diet. That would be the best thing ever to have a pet live a long healthy life. 34 years is awesome for a cat!
@yerrag perhaps you can chime in here with useful advice.

yerrag

If it's liver, what worked for me was I dry fasted for two days. I was having blood sugar control issues. After the dry fast, my energy came back.

Energizer

@raysputin may have some ideas

If it's liver, what worked for me was I dry fasted for two days. I was having blood sugar control issues. After the dry fast, my energy came back.
The OP was posting about the cat's liver, not OP's liver. :meh:

Last edited:

Can you elaborate on the water?

Nicole W.

Have you tried Milk Thistle? There are preparations for dogs and cats. My dog had elevated liver enzymes and before I tried medication I decided to do a month of milk thistle and her enzymes came right down to normal.

yerrag

OP
P

peateats1

Can you elaborate on the water?
It was pooling around the dehumidifier because it wasn't draining fast enough into the floor drain. So it was pretty much stagnant and had some sandy colored gross stuff in it. I'm thinking since it was on the basement floor, it could have also had bacteria of somesort in it? I'm not sure, but it definitely wasn't clean looking water.

OP
P

peateats1

Have you tried Milk Thistle? There are preparations for dogs and cats. My dog had elevated liver enzymes and before I tried medication I decided to do a month of milk thistle and her enzymes came right down to normal.
I haven't tried milk thistle, but I'll look into that!

OP
P

peateats1

Update on kitty: she seems to be eating a lot and looking slightly heavier which is good.(she had been losing weight) I haven't tried any supplements yet, but will look into milk thistle or something similar. In about a month we'll retest liver enzymes.
I dried up the water too so there's no more puddle and blocked off the area around the dehumidifier just in case, so she is just drinking out of her clean water bowl now.

Energizer

I don't have a cat, but if I did I'd give her organ meats regularly. This is tangential to your cat's issue, but who knows, maybe the nutrition in the organ meats could help her own organs' functioning.

Last edited:

CrystalClear

What does kitty's diet include? Any grain at all? What is her age? Is kidney function ok?