Help For Memory Loss Starting Peating

Mreqsol

Hi there, I’m only one month applying Dr. Peat’s nutritional advice and I feel like I can’t focus on anything and my memory is really poor.

I come from 2 years vegan and 3 years low carb paleo, besides ultra endurance running. I try to reason my state due to some stress overthinking this philosophy even though I truly believe there is no other way to be me again. I used to be a confident guy that enjoyed life pretty much without much effort. Now, at 33, I was feeling depressed and this philosophy (along with extra body fat that I was presuming as normal) has made me feel again somehow alive and hopeful.

But I am diagressing, it is the memory what scares me.

Anyone has found the same problem?

Thx.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I feel like I can’t focus on anything and my memory is really poor.
I come from 2 years vegan and 3 years low carb paleo, besides ultra endurance running.
It should get better with time. I don't know exactly how long for you but I had the same sort of issue when I started improving my nutrition. One time I went to a restaurant with my husband and nearly finished the meal before I realized they had given me the wrong order. I remember kind of freaking out about it at the time but later learned that lots of people experience this when recovering from being undernourished. That was over 4 years ago but as I recall it seemed to improve within a couple months.

OP
Mreqsol

Mreqsol

Thanks a lot. I’ve resesrched and found some articles regardin B-caseinomorphins in milk that apparently are liked with cases of autism due to opioid effects.

I prefer to take your point of view.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You could try A2 milk or goat milk if your concerned about casein.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’ve resesrched and found some articles regardin B-caseinomorphins in milk that apparently are liked with cases of autism due to opioid effects.
Also @Travis is very knowledgeable on this subject.

meatbag

Also @Travis is very knowledgeable on this subject.
Thanks a lot. I’ve resesrched and found some articles regardin B-caseinomorphins in milk that apparently are liked with cases of autism due to opioid effects.

I prefer to take your point of view.

"Me: The opioid peptide beta-casomorphine-7 from A1 milk worries me, do you have any thoughts on this since you haven't spoken fondly of opioids
Ray Peat: The experiments involved injecting it into brains. It’s a peptide derived from partial digestion of casein; good digestion should reduce it to amino acids."
~Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

When I first started consuming more dairy after coming off of doing Intermittient fasting and a dairy free diet except for occasional blue cheese I felt like it had some negative effects on me; acne, digestion, brain etc. At the time body temp was 95-97 degrees with a pulse rate of 45-65 bpm roughly. After drinking it for awhile and getting my temps and pulse up I have Zero problems with it. Actually I probably feel worse after eating a huge steak than drinking a bunch of milk. I think drinking the milk with a little coffee can help with some the effects if a person isn't used to drinking it or it causes perceived brain problems. I think the autism people already have comprised digestive function so almost anything they eat causes problems except maybe fruit (my non scientific opinion).

Another thing I'll throw out there is that a lot of time people can ride a train of high stress hormones for awhile and feel like everything is great, I think especially very healthy people can do this for a long time; years. Eventually the stress starts to wear you down to much, I know it did for me.

For memory I think anything that helps to oxidize sugar can be helpful; thyroid, methylene blue, certain b-vitamins, etc. I also noticed that pro-dopamine things seem to help my memory, such as coffee. Obviously too much coffee is counter productive and gives a crazy mind that can't focus on anything :coffee

Travis

"Me: The opioid peptide beta-casomorphine-7 from A1 milk worries me, do you have any thoughts on this since you haven't spoken fondly of opioids
Ray Peat: The experiments involved injecting it into brains. It’s a peptide derived from partial digestion of casein; good digestion should reduce it to amino acids."
~Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Simply out of fairness, perhaps someone should mention the dozens of studies on β-casomorphin which hadn't involved 'injecting it into brains:'

Sun, Z. "A peptide found in schizophrenia and autism causes behavioral changes in rats." Autism (1999)
Nedvidkova, J. "Effect of beta-casomorphin and its analogue on serum prolactin in the rat." Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes (1985)
Lin, L. "β-Casomorphins stimulate and enterostatin inhibits the intake of dietary fat in rats." Peptides (1998)
Becker, A. "Effects of beta-casomorphin derivatives on gastrointestinal transit in mice." Biomed Biochim Acta (1990)
Lister, J. "Behavioral effects of food-derived opioid-like peptides in rodents: Implications for schizophrenia?." Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior (2015)
Taira, T. "Effect of beta-casomorphin on neonatal sleep in rats." Peptides (1990)

And also the dozens that show its presence in the bloodstream and/or cerebrospinal fluid perhaps implying that 'good digestion' isn't the norm, or that Ray Peat has a peculiar way of defining that term:

Terenius, L. "Opioid peptides in the cerebrospinal fluid of psychiatric patients." Progress in brain research (1986)
Sokolov, O. "Autistic children display elevated urine levels of bovine casomorphin-7 immunoreactivity." Peptides (2014)
Nyberg, F. "Opioid peptides in cerebrospinal fluid-methods for analysis and their significance in the clinical perspective." Front Biosci (2004)
Nyberg, F. "CSF opioids in pathophysiology." Opioids II (1993)
Wasilewska, J. "The exogenous opioid peptides and DPPIV serum activity in infants with apnoea expressed as apparent life threatening events (ALTE)." Neuropeptides (2011)
Banks, W. "Stereospecific transport of Tyr-MIF-1 across the blood-brain barrier by peptide transport system-1." Brain research bulletin (1990)
Sun, Z. "Relation of β-casomorphin to apnea in sudden infant death syndrome." Peptides (2003)
Storm, H. "Beta-endorphin, human caseomorphin and bovine caseomorphin immunoreactivity in CSF in sudden infant death syndrome and controls." Progress in clinical and biological research (1990)

When the topic about dairy comes-up, Ray Peat always seems to over-optimistically sideline any concern of the inquirer.

I did find one study using a direct microinjection, perhaps the one Ray Peat had been referring to:

Rauca, C. "Effects of intrastriatal microinjection of beta-casomorphins and its Des-tyrosine derivatives on rat motor behaviour." Biomedica biochimica acta (1986)

meatbag

Simply out of fairness, perhaps someone should mention the dozens of studies on β-casomorphin which hadn't involved 'injecting it into brains:'

Sun, Z. "A peptide found in schizophrenia and autism causes behavioral changes in rats." Autism (1999)
Nedvidkova, J. "Effect of beta-casomorphin and its analogue on serum prolactin in the rat." Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes (1985)
Lin, L. "β-Casomorphins stimulate and enterostatin inhibits the intake of dietary fat in rats." Peptides (1998)
Becker, A. "Effects of beta-casomorphin derivatives on gastrointestinal transit in mice." Biomed Biochim Acta (1990)
Lister, J. "Behavioral effects of food-derived opioid-like peptides in rodents: Implications for schizophrenia?." Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior (2015)
Taira, T. "Effect of beta-casomorphin on neonatal sleep in rats." Peptides (1990)

And also the dozens that show its presence in the bloodstream and/or cerebrospinal fluid perhaps implying that 'good digestion' isn't the norm, or that Ray Peat has a peculiar way of defining that term:

Terenius, L. "Opioid peptides in the cerebrospinal fluid of psychiatric patients." Progress in brain research (1986)
Sokolov, O. "Autistic children display elevated urine levels of bovine casomorphin-7 immunoreactivity." Peptides (2014)
Nyberg, F. "Opioid peptides in cerebrospinal fluid-methods for analysis and their significance in the clinical perspective." Front Biosci (2004)
Nyberg, F. "CSF opioids in pathophysiology." Opioids II (1993)
Wasilewska, J. "The exogenous opioid peptides and DPPIV serum activity in infants with apnoea expressed as apparent life threatening events (ALTE)." Neuropeptides (2011)
Banks, W. "Stereospecific transport of Tyr-MIF-1 across the blood-brain barrier by peptide transport system-1." Brain research bulletin (1990)
Sun, Z. "Relation of β-casomorphin to apnea in sudden infant death syndrome." Peptides (2003)
Storm, H. "Beta-endorphin, human caseomorphin and bovine caseomorphin immunoreactivity in CSF in sudden infant death syndrome and controls." Progress in clinical and biological research (1990)

When the topic about dairy comes-up, Ray Peat always seems to over-optimistically sideline any concern of the inquirer.

I did find one study using a direct microinjection, perhaps the one Ray Peat had been referring to:

Rauca, C. "Effects of intrastriatal microinjection of beta-casomorphins and its Des-tyrosine derivatives on rat motor behaviour." Biomedica biochimica acta (1986)

Good point, I'll have to read through those. What do you think is the difference between people who experience a problem with the caseomorphines and those who do not? I can certainly say that the way I handle dairy has changed and seems to correspond to an increase in body temp/pulse and a general improvement in overall digestion.

OP
Mreqsol

Mreqsol

Thanks everybody, these makes me feel no anxious about all.
Interestingly, goat's milk does not produce the same effect, whereas lactose free makes no difference in that aspect with the regular one.

Travis

Good point, I'll have to read through those. What do you think is the difference between people who experience a problem with the caseomorphines and those who do not? I can certainly say that the way I handle dairy has changed and seems to correspond to an increase in body temp/pulse and a general improvement in overall digestion.
I wouldn't say that it's a problem, but merely an effect. Casomorphin binds to the μ-receptor like β-endorphin, so these receptors are being activated in everyone daily in some level. It's not really a health issue so I wouldn't consider it a 'problem,' but more like a 'psychological preference.' I think essentially all humans should get to decide for themselves which brain state they prefer to be in, and also have access to balanced information about endogenous neurotransmitters in foods and drugs.

As a general rule: all opiates appear to reliably increase prolactin and lower dopamine; these are considered canonical effects of opiates and experimental evidence for this is easy to come by. Even the gluten exorphins—which all bind to the less powerful δ-opioid receptor—will induce a considerable prolactin spike when eaten.

fradon

Hi there, I’m only one month applying Dr. Peat’s nutritional advice and I feel like I can’t focus on anything and my memory is really poor.

I come from 2 years vegan and 3 years low carb paleo, besides ultra endurance running. I try to reason my state due to some stress overthinking this philosophy even though I truly believe there is no other way to be me again. I used to be a confident guy that enjoyed life pretty much without much effort. Now, at 33, I was feeling depressed and this philosophy (along with extra body fat that I was presuming as normal) has made me feel again somehow alive and hopeful.

But I am diagressing, it is the memory what scares me.

Anyone has found the same problem?

Thx.

chew some gum it can help restore memory as the hippocampus requires insulin and with too much stress and cortisol it will begin to shrink. Chewing gum and the act of mastication releases insulin and thus feeds the hippocampus...

just GOOGLE chew gum for better memory.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Interestingly, goat's milk does not produce the same effect, whereas lactose free makes no difference in that aspect with the regular one.
Sounds like A1 is a problem for you then. Maybe sticking with goats milk or A2 cows milk would help.
chew some gum it can help restore memory as the hippocampus requires insulin and with too much stress and cortisol it will begin to shrink. Chewing gum and the act of mastication releases insulin and thus feeds the hippocampus...

just GOOGLE chew gum for better memory.
Interesting! I've always been a big gum chewer. Maybe the xylitol gum is helping more than just my teeth.

Luann

I wouldn't say that it's a problem, but merely an effect. Casomorphin binds to the μ-receptor like β-endorphin, so these receptors are being activated in everyone daily in some level. It's not really a health issue so I wouldn't consider it a 'problem,' but more like a 'psychological preference.' I think essentially all humans should get to decide for themselves which brain state they prefer to be in, and also have access to balanced information about endogenous neurotransmitters in foods and drugs.

As a general rule: all opiates appear to reliably increase prolactin and lower dopamine; these are considered canonical effects of opiates and experimental evidence for this is easy to come by. Even the gluten exorphins—which all bind to the less powerful δ-opioid receptor—will induce a considerable prolactin spike when eaten.

Do you drink milk on a daily basis, Travis?

Travis

Do you drink milk on a daily basis, Travis?

No, I never liked drinking commercial milk at all. I had always like cheese, however, yet will currently only eat that derived from goat- or sheepmilk.

OP
Mreqsol

Mreqsol

I was finally tested and diagnosed lactose intoleran two months ago. However, after bumping my calorie intake to 3000+ cal a day, most of my issues with some foods got apparently solved.
I’m able to drink 2-3 cups of milk daily without any symptoms.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals