Help for hubby's serotonin levels

Peatri Dish

This plea for help is not just how to get rid of serotonin in the body. I've rad a lot on that.
I'd like some help around getting my hubby off SSRIs successfully. He has been on them for about 12 years. This is when he stopped drinking alcohol daily.
He is diagnosed with PTSD and is working with a therapist on that. He was raised by violent psychopathic father. He has big time anger issues - probably some learned helplessness too. Because explosive anger makes it hard for him to confront people, etc. due to fear of loss of control.
Every time he tries to go off his meds he is crazy angry, argumentive, and generally pessimistic. Marijuana has seemed helpful at times, but he would like to go without mind altering drugs as he tends to "chase the high." Our marriage would have disintegrated without the Sertraline (SSRI). He would be unable to function at school, work or friendships. He is thoughtful and sensitive and not a violent type, but tends to break his own possessions, etc when anger overwhelms him. He does not like the meds and knows they are a band aid. So I have tried to help him get off them. I have tried to support his nutrition, in spite of compliance difficulties when SSRIs are removed. Any ideas for helping with the transition?

jaguar43

TeslaFan

It took me a couple of years to finally get off SSRIs. I first switched to St. John's Wort (a "natural" alternative) for few years, and then slowly reduced it. At the end, I used Tianeptine for a few months, and then Cyproheptadine once in a while for several months. Now, I am drug free. If I want to feel better, coffee is usually enough.

I don't recommend St. John's Wort, by the way.

Based on my experience and understanding as of today, I would suggest switching to an antidepressant that has some antagonist action on serotonin, like Trazodone, for example. A trazodone metabolite is a mild SSRI, so this could be a gentle way to make the change. Trial and error may be required.

Tianeptine seems good, but it also stimulates opioid systems, so probably not good for the long term. It may still be worth trying for a few months though, as a transition drug.

Basically: I suggest switching from SSRI to selected tri/tetra cyclic type antidepressants first, and then slowly getting off those.

SSRIs are very difficult to get off straight.

Best of luck!

jyb

skominac said:
It took me a couple of years to finally get off SSRIs. I first switched to St. John's Wort (a "natural" alternative) for few years, and then slowly reduced it. At the end, I used Tianeptine for a few months, and then Cyproheptadine once in a while for several months. Now, I am drug free. If I want to feel better, coffee is usually enough.

Well, what a journey. I'm curious, have you tried pregnenolone and see if it helps as suggested?

OP
P

Peatri Dish

Thanks for the messages, both public and private. I think I have been guilty of a bit of black and white thinking here. It never even occurred to me to suggest another pharmaceutical drug for the transition.I'm ready to pitch medicine completely. I forget they may have something to offer.
Hubby is also doing CBT and EMDR but no meditation. I have been meditating for years but he "can't stay still"

TeslaFan

jyb said:
skominac said:

Well, what a journey. I'm curious, have you tried pregnenolone and see if it helps as suggested?

yes, it did not help with depression, but did help a little with libido. Also, for some reason, it made me aggressive and short-tempered. Also, I only noticed effects for the first few days, soon after I didn't feel any difference.

TeslaFan

Peatri Dish said:
Thanks for the messages, both public and private. I think I have been guilty of a bit of black and white thinking here. It never even occurred to me to suggest another pharmaceutical drug for the transition.I'm ready to pitch medicine completely. I forget they may have something to offer.
Hubby is also doing CBT and EMDR but no meditation. I have been meditating for years but he "can't stay still"

Sometimes I think that only people who suffer(ed) from depression can understand that is a real, debilitating disease. I used to hear people, with good intentions, suggest to "snap out of it", "meditate", "listen to relaxing music", "drink tea", etc, but that is almost as offensive as telling a cancer patient to "take it easy" or "chill".

Depression is a real disease, and needs real help.

skominac said:
Peatri Dish said:

Sometimes I think that only people who suffer(ed) from depression can understand that is a real, debilitating disease. I used to hear people, with good intentions, suggest to "snap out of it", "meditate", "listen to relaxing music", "drink tea", etc, but that is almost as offensive as telling a cancer patient to "take it easy" or "chill".

Yes, but when someone says "cut out PUFA" is that grounds for taking offense?

TeslaFan

Such_Saturation said:
skominac said:
Peatri Dish said:

Yes, but when someone says "cut out PUFA" is that grounds for taking offense?

If it comes as a general health advice, of course not. Cutting out PUFA yields long term benefits.
As a first line of advice to a depressed person, yes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals