Help Figuring Out Labs - Actually Low Estrogen?

Orangeyouglad

I've finally received my labs back and honestly, don't know much about what I'm looking at but I have a few things that concern me. My main concern is fixing male pattern baldness and it seems that my 5a-reductase levels might be a bit high. Other concerns...

+Estrogen Methlayation is low
+ Estrone levels seem strange
+THA is out of whack, whatever the heck that is
+ Not sure if my thyroid levels are actually optimal

Any suggestions here? How do these compare to your lab tests?

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 2.10.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 2.11.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 2.11.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 2.11.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 2.11.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 2.12.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 2.12.07 PM.png

Hans

Forum Supporter
When did you take the test? In the morning after a 12 hour fast?

2-OH estrone is created by the enzymes CYP3A and CYP1A in the liver and then 2-methoxyestrone is created from the former via COMT. COMT is controlled by methylation and uses magnesium as a cofactor.

Deactivation of estrone by COMT is actually protective and a buildup of 2-OH estrone is bad.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/2-hydroxyestrone
"In estrogen receptor–positive (ER+) tumors, estrogen metabolism can contribute to risk. Both strong and weak estrogen metabolites are produced from oxidative processes in the body. 2-Hydroxyestrones are weakly estrogenic and may be protective (similar perhaps in action to weak plant estrogens such as soy foods) [because it competes with the more potent estradiol for binding to the estrogen receptor], and 16-hydroxyestrones are more strongly estrogenic. The 16-hydroxyestrones can stimulate estrogen receptors in vulnerable tissue, leading to ER+ tumors, and can disrupt DNA, which produces oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes (Fig. 78.1).22-24 Dietary measures (decreased alcohol intake, increased oleic acid such as in olive oil), physical activity, phytoestrogenssuch as flaxseed meal, and cruciferous vegetables can help favor weaker estrogen metabolites.23,25,26"

Do you eat from the foods mentioned at the end of the qoute? Because they increase the enzymes that create 2-OH estrone.

The rest of your estrogen levels are fine.

THA is a urinary metabolite of aldosterone. How is your blood pressure?

lampofred

I think looking at estrogen by itself might not give the full picture as to how much estrogenic activity there is in the body, since estrogen is opposed by progesterone and cortisol. If your prolactin is high and cortisol/progesterone is low, then there is likely high estrogenic activity activity within the cells even though there is low estrogen in the blood stream.

baccheion

Thyroid hormones seem too low. They should at least be in the top half of the range, with fT4 or fT3 being near the top of the range (varies depending on the article read).

nbznj

That 5a reductase activity is associated with metabolic syndrome; you should fix the diet > more carbs, less fats, less protein (.5g/lb is a good set point, don’t listen to BBers)

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

When did you take the test? In the morning after a 12 hour fast?

2-OH estrone is created by the enzymes CYP3A and CYP1A in the liver and then 2-methoxyestrone is created from the former via COMT. COMT is controlled by methylation and uses magnesium as a cofactor.

Deactivation of estrone by COMT is actually protective and a buildup of 2-OH estrone is bad.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/2-hydroxyestrone
"In estrogen receptor–positive (ER+) tumors, estrogen metabolism can contribute to risk. Both strong and weak estrogen metabolites are produced from oxidative processes in the body. 2-Hydroxyestrones are weakly estrogenic and may be protective (similar perhaps in action to weak plant estrogens such as soy foods) [because it competes with the more potent estradiol for binding to the estrogen receptor], and 16-hydroxyestrones are more strongly estrogenic. The 16-hydroxyestrones can stimulate estrogen receptors in vulnerable tissue, leading to ER+ tumors, and can disrupt DNA, which produces oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes (Fig. 78.1).22-24 Dietary measures (decreased alcohol intake, increased oleic acid such as in olive oil), physical activity, phytoestrogenssuch as flaxseed meal, and cruciferous vegetables can help favor weaker estrogen metabolites.23,25,26"

Do you eat from the foods mentioned at the end of the qoute? Because they increase the enzymes that create 2-OH estrone.

The rest of your estrogen levels are fine.

THA is a urinary metabolite of aldosterone. How is your blood pressure?

Nope I wasn’t eating those foods, and this was a urine test with samples spread out over a full day.

Blood pressure is pretty good, right now it’s normal but on occasion it’s been slightly elevated before, but not much.

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

I think looking at estrogen by itself might not give the full picture as to how much estrogenic activity there is in the body, since estrogen is opposed by progesterone and cortisol. If your prolactin is high and cortisol/progesterone is low, then there is likely high estrogenic activity activity within the cells even though there is low estrogen in the blood stream.

I agree with that - but based on this test it’s looking like my progesterone levels are high and my cortisol levels are low. I don’t think I tested my prolactin here but it’s something I should look into.

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

Thyroid hormones seem too low. They should at least be in the top half of the range, with fT4 or fT3 being near the top of the range (varies depending on the article read).

So if I’m already eating peaty, is it time to add some thyroid?

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

That 5a reductase activity is associated with metabolic syndrome; you should fix the diet > more carbs, less fats, less protein (.5g/lb is a good set point, don’t listen to BBers)

Really? I’ve never heard that before. I do eat a lot of protein and fat as I’ve done some body building in the past.

Is metabolic syndrome associated with overweight people? For the record I’m 6’1 210 pounds with some fat around the mid section and thighs, but with visible abs. Everything I’ve seen regarding metabolic syndrome is geared towards very overweight people.

What other steps should I take to reverse metabolic syndrome?

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

Where'd you get your labs done? I sure as hell need a comprehensive one like you got.

I bought it through Life Extensions and they sent me everything I needed. It was urine and I’m wondering if blood would have been a better option.