Help Deciphering Labs, Hair Loss, Feeling Pretty Desperate :(

Rtm320

Hi all,
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, I am so grateful for this forum, it’s members and the information shared here.

I am a 34 yo female who’s been suffering from hair loss for a few years now and probably longer. What started out as TE gave way to AGA, thinning hair growth/miniaturized hair. I suspect low thyroid due to low temps and low hr and have been experimenting with Tyromax for about 8 months. I had worked my way up to about 2.5 grains worth of a dose and was feeling great on it. But I got concerned when it seemed like i was losing too much weight so I lowered the dose to 1.5/2 grains.Around this time I had labwork done it came back reading:

TSH— .308
Free T4– .75

Obviously my doctor now thinks I am trending towards hyperthyroidism. From what I understand my TSH is in an ideal range according to Peat, however I don’t know how my free T4 computes with that.

My hair is now shedding abnormally and I really don’t know what to do. My hair is getting to a point where my scalp is visible if I wear it a certain way and I am terrified of what the outcome may be. I have continued to take the Tyromax as I dont want to stop cold turkey and it seems to be working for me otherwise however I am conflicted on whether I should stop or lower the dose or what... sigh I dream of a day when this does not rule my life and hold me back. It becomes all consuming at times and really bums me out. I try to look at the bigger picture and take heed the lessons I am learning from this but it’s tough, I just want to get better, resolve this.

Thanks again, very much for your time, any input is much appreciated.

Good night,
R

lampofred

Have you gotten blood tests to make sure there are no major nutrient deficiencies? Hair loss for women might be more likely to be caused by specific nutrient deficiencies than hair loss for men. Do you have any more blood tests with values for vitamin D, cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar? What is the pattern of your hair loss?

If it's thinning similar to the male pattern baldness way:

What was your diet like growing up? If it was lower on meat and saturated fats and higher on sea food/vegetable oil/grains/veggies, you might not have enough zinc in your system to stimulate progesterone production and turn off the HPA axis, which makes you end up with high prolactin and high cortisol.

Coffee and aspirin are best in the short-run at fighting this type of hair loss. I was starting to bald pretty noticeably a few years ago, but my hair has regrown completely back to its pre-pubertal/juvenile state after I started drinking 10-15 cups of coffee a day and taking 1-2 standard aspirins per day. I don't lose any hairs at all when I shampoo anymore.

In the long-run, avoiding alcohol, eating high amounts of zinc, avoiding PUFA, maintaining a high fructose intake (this seems to be especially helpful, like coffee and aspirin), getting ample amounts of the B-vitamins, regularly taking vitamin E, and keeping protein intake high will all help with this kind of hair loss and will heal your body to the point that you don't need high amounts of coffee, aspirin, and thyroid every day.

If it's diffuse thinning:

I think Peat has mentioned this kind of hair loss is caused by low calcium, low vitamin D, and low red light exposure. I think it might be made worse by low CO2 content in your tissues. Do you get sunlight? Have you ever gotten a blood sugar test, triglycerides test, glucose tolerance test, etc. tested to check how your sugar oxidation is working? Good glucose oxidation is essential to producing CO2.

OP
R

Rtm320

@lampofred Thank-you very much for your thoughtful reply. The hairloss is diffuse however seems to be worsening at my part. I have lots of miniaturized hairs. My scalp is very hard so I am working to soften the hard tissue with massage and dermarolling to encourage growth. I am also currently taking vitamin K2, dessicated liver supplements, D3 and the occasional aspirin. i have also recently started niacinamide again. Coffee is a part of my day, usually two- one in the morning and another after lunch in the afternoon. I enjoy oysters but not consistently enough. You touched on alcohol and that has been weighing heavy on me these days, i enjoy red wine almost daily as well as regular marijuana use which i know I need to stop. It has become ritualistic and helps me relax and enjoy myself in the evenings. But it borders on an escape and I know RP has mentioned it’s estrogenic effects especially when smoked. Ugh! I have attached my labs for a more comprehensive view. Thank-you again so much for your reply!! All the best to everyone struggling out there!

Attachments

• 296109DA-7590-448F-BA11-7F4340D1CEE3.jpeg
    296109DA-7590-448F-BA11-7F4340D1CEE3.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 53
  • B799CA74-FA52-4106-A4E2-DC5A7A90F1EE.jpeg
    B799CA74-FA52-4106-A4E2-DC5A7A90F1EE.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 54
  • A31EE2F2-F6E6-44AE-89C9-2C5323DCB217.jpeg
    A31EE2F2-F6E6-44AE-89C9-2C5323DCB217.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 51
OP
R

Rtm320

Hi all,
Giving this a bump—reaching out for some help. Hair has been shedding pretty bad and I just don’t know what to do anymore, I can’t afford to lose anymore hair, I am so scared. I have continued taking Tyromax but lowered the dose to 1 grain in an attempt to stop the shedding. Feeling so desperate, I’d be so appreciative with any help to better understand these labs :( Thanks so much.

jzeno

Bump.

Any updates?

Vitamin D looks low. Should be 80 ng/mL for best results. Could be Telogen Effluvium, but I'm not sure.

OP
R

Rtm320

Bump.

Any updates?

Vitamin D looks low. Should be 80 ng/mL for best results. Could be Telogen Effluvium, but I'm not sure.
Hi @jzeno thanks very much for the inquiry. I ended up increasing my dosage back up to about 1.5/2 grains of Tyromax and funny you should mention that it was around the same time I started taking D3 more consistently (I live in the Northeast of US) The shedding stopped about 3 weeks after it's onset. I really am at a loss as to why it started and how it stopped, I can only assume it was the Tyromax dosage? But perhaps it had more to do with D3 as you mention. It's the regrowth I still struggle with, lots of miniaturized hairs. Right now (in addition to still taking supplements) I am focusing on scalp massages/derma stamping. My scalp is very hard. This whole thing is so puzzling and frustrating. On my good days I am hopeful and I believe, given the right circumstances, the body will heal itself but on my bad ones I feel very hopeless and consumed. Sending lots of light to all those out there in the struggle!

jzeno

@Rtm320

Nice. So the shedding has stopped. Now you're just working on re-growth.

I think if it's TE, then D3 should cause re-growth, but I'm not an expert. I've never had TE. But if you're not experiencing re-growth, then maybe it isn't TE. Can't say for sure, but that is how I thought it worked. I could be wrong.

How's your body temp? Are your hands and/or feet ever cold?

dreamcatcher

@Rtm320 Cyproheptadine, T3 and Cynoplus might be your answer. The chronic hair loss and thinning should stop in a couple of weeks once on Cypro.

dreamcatcher

Hi all,
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, I am so grateful for this forum, it’s members and the information shared here.

I am a 34 yo female who’s been suffering from hair loss for a few years now and probably longer. What started out as TE gave way to AGA, thinning hair growth/miniaturized hair. I suspect low thyroid due to low temps and low hr and have been experimenting with Tyromax for about 8 months. I had worked my way up to about 2.5 grains worth of a dose and was feeling great on it. But I got concerned when it seemed like i was losing too much weight so I lowered the dose to 1.5/2 grains.Around this time I had labwork done it came back reading:

TSH— .308
Free T4– .75

Obviously my doctor now thinks I am trending towards hyperthyroidism. From what I understand my TSH is in an ideal range according to Peat, however I don’t know how my free T4 computes with that.

My hair is now shedding abnormally and I really don’t know what to do. My hair is getting to a point where my scalp is visible if I wear it a certain way and I am terrified of what the outcome may be. I have continued to take the Tyromax as I dont want to stop cold turkey and it seems to be working for me otherwise however I am conflicted on whether I should stop or lower the dose or what... sigh I dream of a day when this does not rule my life and hold me back. It becomes all consuming at times and really bums me out. I try to look at the bigger picture and take heed the lessons I am learning from this but it’s tough, I just want to get better, resolve this.

Thanks again, very much for your time, any input is much appreciated.

Good night,
R
I would definitely go with Cynomel and Cynoplus instead of the product you're using. That's what Dr Peat recommended me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals