Hello!

Greta

Hello!
I'm sorry if my first impression hasn't been good at all.
I arrived to this forum while I was searching information about NDT.
I have suffered from hypothyroidism since I was a kid, and I have been medicated with T4 only since I was a teen. Even if I'm better while taking high doses of T4 (I have a great relieve from my symptons) once in a while, even taking the meds, I would get really hypothyroid, mostly under stress (when I need to be at my best) so... It really sucks. Plus I've been lucky enough to have some lovely doctors, who lowered my dosage in 2 ocasions, and brang me hypothyroid again! yupee...

Long story, anyway, I'm curious about the theories of Ray Peat, and the diet etc.
Something that called my attention, was that the way of eating was very similar to how I ate in a certain period of my life, and then I was feeling fine.

Anyway, I hope to be able to learn a lot from you.
:)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Greta, :welcome

You might have already ran across it, but T4 only supplementing can cause someone to go more hypothyroid. Ray Peat says some people lose the ability for the liver to efficiently convert T4 into T3. So it ends up backing up in the body and causing more symptoms. I found that running on ratio of 2:1 T4 to T3 was optimal for me. However, look out for that T4 mass release if you have it backed up. Wow, that was a 48 hour ride I will never forget. :lol:

See you around the forum.

:hattip

OP
G

Greta

Yes, I know about that, maybe not more hypothyroid, but if the conversion from T4 to T3 is compromised due to stress for example, it can break a havoc.
Something that happened to me last year, was that I was toxic of T4, my TSH was supressed, and I had FT4 18, wich is toxic, and my body wasn't converting any T4 in T3, so I was really hypothyroid, and my labs were showing that I was hyper...

In my country doctors doesn't prescribe NDT and it's nearly impossible to get T3.

Gladly I'm only of those few persons, that get better on only T4, I was recently taking a lower dose of T4(stupid doctor ugh=, and I was crap, I get better on a higher dosage... My temperature went from 95F (50mg) to 98F(112mg), less edema, less need for sleep, no migraines, no peripheral neuropathy, no low blood pressure, more energy, my hair and eyebrowns have grown back... So, yes, T4 only does something, at least to me sometimes... Another times it's plain poison. But my pulse is still low around 52.

Anyway, I want to be well, so some months ago I started researching, but I didn't know that I could buy NDT without a prescription, and I have wanted to try it, since I knew it existed!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sounds like you are well on your way. :D

OP
G

Greta

Well, I can't wait to get the NDT, in fact, I hate the T4. But right now I have to choose, nothing or T4, I cannot live without the meds. Better something than nothing.

Also I have added some herbs that help with the conversion lately, and they in fact have helped me to live with the T4 only...

But I see the NDT, like a Godsend, even if I haven't tried it yet.

Also I wanted to know, if Ray Peat says something about the adrenal's health, as my hypothyroidism isn't an autoinmune condition (i have a normal thyroid wich doesn't work at all) I don't know if it doesn't work due to an adrenal malfunction, as all my hormones, are borderline or under the minimun.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat said:
"If your thyroid is working efficiently, your pituitary doesn't have much to do and you're not likely to get a pituitary tumor, your adrenals don't have much to do, and your ovaries don't get over stimulated. The other glands have an easy job when your thyroid is working right. If your thyroid gets interfered with, you have to rev up your adrenals and your pituitary becomes commander in chief and tells everyone what to do."

OP
G

Greta

In fact my hormones were crappy only in the last lab, after being hypothyroid for a while, so maybe being very hypothyroid for so long, plus the shitty medication, could have harm my adrenals?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think your adrenals are fine. If you are extremely exhausted they might have been taken offline due to not having the power anymore to run them.

viewtopic.php?p=34744#p34744

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thyroid function lowers which is the head of your power signaling system, then adrenals start kicking in. You run off stress hormones for as long as possible, years, decades even, then the body runs out of power to make emergency energy, then it starts taking adrenals offline and then look out zombie land.

OP
G

Greta

Thanks!
I've been feeling quite worn out, at first due to the low thyroid function, but then I was feeling ok lately, till i have the great idea of taking 5-HTP (i've been feeling depressed since my thyroid hormone was lower) (I used also L-Tyrosine) and well... Big mistake.
After I read an article written by Ray Pete, talking about the high levels of serotonine in hypothyroidism patients, and all made sense. And I can tell that I wasn't low on serotonine, it made my problem wrost, i was feeling really hypothyroid.

I knew that hypothyroidism leads to low L-Tyrosine levels, but I didn't know about the high serotonine.. I should have guessed, as high serotonine, usually leads to high melatonine, and good sleep... (I slept a lot XD) Didn't know about the apathy and other symptons yet.

So i quit it 3 days ago, and i'm starting to feel better again :)

That was another of the reasons I got curious about his theories.

OP
G

Greta

Charlie said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96324/ Thyroid function lowers which is the head of your power signaling system, then adrenals start kicking in. You run off stress hormones for as long as possible, years, decades even, then the body runs out of power to make emergency energy, then it starts taking adrenals offline and then look out zombie land.

I got into the zombie land quite often, I'm well for weeks or months, and then one day i cannot get out of the bed, i get an awful swelling (that's why i know it's my thyroid and not depression), a lot of awful symptons, and I'm unable to do anything for a while (I usually get cravings for healthy food), after I will get well again and come back to "real life"... But it's impossible to continue living like this... That's why I looked for more alternatives. And found about the NDT, wich i hope will help me to not go back to zombie land.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
When I found out about NDT I felt the same way you did and I was right. I waited by that mailbox every day for 2 weeks. :lol:

OP
G

Greta

hahaha, I'm the same, i can't wait to get it, i got the 1000pills box... Maybe too much. :lol:
I've been trying to get cytomel also, but it has been discontinued in my country, i would have been able to get a prescription... :cry:

Have you ever tried other thyroid's meds apart from NDT?

I've bought natural desecated thyroid, and also raw thyroid... And I got adrenal cortex, which i don't know if will be helpful

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Greta said:
I've been trying to get cytomel also, but it has been discontinued in my country, i would have been able to get a prescription... :cry:

Have you ever tried other thyroid's meds apart from NDT?l

Yes, I switched to synthetics about a month before they shut down Grossman T3. :cry: I wish I would have went with synthetic sooner, live and learn. :D

OP
G

Greta

So, did you felt better with synthetics? Were you only taking T3 or a combo?
I also want to try the NDT, as it has all the four hormones, wich aren't in the synthetic version, and as my thyroid is nearly or totally shut down, i bet i'm not getting t1, t2, calcitonin... And i don't know how much t3 i'm able to get from the t4

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Greta said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96334/ So, did you felt better with synthetics? Were you only taking T3 or a combo?
I also want to try the NDT, as it has all the four hormones, wich aren't in the synthetic version, and as my thyroid is nearly or totally shut down, i bet i'm not getting t1, t2, calcitonin... And i don't know how much t3 i'm able to get from the t4
Yes, 2:1 ratio.

T4 dump was no fun though, its a possibility you want to be prepared for.

Last edited:
OP
G

Greta

Well primary hypothyroidism is being a brainless zombie... T4 only was a relieve... I'm waiting to the NDT... So everything can only get better. xD I'm already in a hole. :lol:
I'll see also If i'm able to find some T3, at least to try it. I'm curious now...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
T4 dump = all the T4 that got backed up and stored because liver could not process it, all of a sudden body processes it all out to the level it needs once you get the T3 moving. And it does it in a hurry. :lol:

My temp was 102 and 120 pulse for 48 hours. :extenquishflame

OP
G

Greta

It happens when you start the T3? I have a very low T4 level at the moment. FT4 1.1 (0.93-1.7)
Wow... :S I was thinking about starting slowly the NDT, while lowering my T4.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom