hello & please help me get pregnant!

EinnaEinna

Hi,

I'm a 38 yr old woman from England with a hideously long history of eating disorders and eight that has yo yo'd by about ten stone. I'm doing well recovering from the disorders so am taking things slowly as I can get obsessive way too easily!

My main issues are that I am always cold (35.5 increasing to 35.7) and have a liver that doesn't break down old blood cells easily. I have yellowish whites of the eyes. I've been vegan/veggie for 20 years and slowly introducing meat.

In addition (sorry if this is too much info) I have now been on my period, continuously, for TWO YEARS. The dr can't suggest anything other than losing weight. Which isn't helpful. Blood tests are normal and previously I had a normal cycle for my entire life, until I had a major shock event two years ago which started this all of. I need to lose a lot of weight for IVF so feeling a bit like everything is out of control. Any help and/or comments much appreciated. Sorry agin if too much information, I'm feeling quite desperate.

Einna

tara

:welcome Einna

Do you want to tell us a bit more about what you are eating and how much? I'm glad you are introducing some meat.
Not sure what kind of eating disorder you are referring to - was it a restrictive/undereating variant? If so, can you say how long you have been eating [edit to add:] good amounts of food daily for? Severe chronic undereating can cause low thyroid function. As I understand it, usually it significantly recovers over a long enough period of consistently adequate eating (eg at least 2500 cals, and enough protein and micronutrients). The time frame varies from person to person, but I've seen numbers like 1-2 years as typical, with occasional outliers a bit shorter or up to 6 years. This is interrupted if food supply is cut again.
Peat usually recommends 80-100g protein for people with low thyroid function.
Some of us use cronometer to get a rough idea of what we are getting in our food.

Your temps may indicate low thyroid function, and there may be a case for considering supplementation at some stage, but I think it's important to attend to nutrition first.

'Normal' blood tests can be interpreted in different ways. Often they have to be extreme before drs will acknowledge a problem. If you want to post numbers, there are people here who are likley to have opinions about what they mean.

Do you have any indications/symptoms of estrogen imbalance?

Don't tell any personal details you don't want to, but are you contemplating IVF because the normal route is unavailable for social reasons, or because the normal route has not been successful so far? If it's the latter, there is a chance you can turn it round with ideas from Peat and here.

messtafarian

This is not exactly Peat but it seems to me that plain old birth control pills would work, just for a few months to regulate your cycle. "Major shock" precipitating menorrhagia sounds like you might benefit from thyroid supplementation too.

tara

I think there are one or two women here who have managed to interrupt long and heavy bleeding with substantial amounts of progesterone. Excess estrogen is one possible candidate for contributing to ongoing bleeding.