The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:
OP
PhilParma

PhilParma

Charlie said:
post 103712
PhilParma said:
post 103710 My dermatitis is slowly coming back...
Have you tried vitamin A for the dermatitis?
I've been on 5000IU for one week, and during that period my seb derm is slowly getting worse--but I've also drastically reduced PUFAs, which can't have helped. Most of what I've read about VitA says that it helps with acne, but it can make seb derm worse. Plus, I don't want a high dose to negatively affect my thyroid.

I know from reading old threads here on RPF that you've dealt with seb derm. Has VitA helped? I remember that you controlled your dermatitis with B6, but that you eventually experienced negative side effects. I'm thinking about megadosing the P5P form of B6, which is supposedly safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
PhilParma said:
post 103713 I know from reading old threads here on RPF that you've dealt with seb derm. Has VitA helped?
It was a vitamin A deficiency which haiduts Retinil took care of.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
PhilParma said:
post 103717 oh wow, interesting. What dose works for you?
I started with a couple drops a day, then I saw it was getting better and increased it till the dermatitis went away.

It really is a miracle, I had been trying to figure this dermatitis thing out for a while now.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Regarding your question about thyroid: you could track your temperature and pulse to get a general idea of how your thyroid is functioning before deciding on thyroid supplements. Peat has mentioned that it is good to have a serum total cholesterol of at least 200 mg/dL before starting thyroid.

OP
PhilParma

PhilParma

Charlie said:
PhilParma said:
post 103717 oh wow, interesting. What dose works for you?
I started with a couple drops a day, then I saw it was getting better and increased it till the dermatitis went away.

It really is a miracle, I had been trying to figure this dermatitis thing out for a while now.
Looks like one drop is 2400IU. So two drops would roughly equal the 5000IU dose that I currently get from my eight drops of Estroban. How many drops did it take for you personally to eliminate the dermatitis?

VitA deficiency would make sense for me because VitA is obviously brought up often in regards to eye health, which I've long dealt with. Plus, I don't eat liver, which seems to be one of the few quality sources of dietary VitA. So experimenting with it (while being careful not to overdose) is something I will definitely consider.

Giraffe said:
Phil, how much calcium are you getting?
That's tough to answer. Up until a couple weeks ago I had been supplementing my diet with whey/casein powders, but I didn't quite like how they made me feel so I stopped. With those powders, I could get up to 2g of calcium per day. Now, most of my calcium comes from fortified orange juice, and I don't know if that form is even any good--I'm skeptical of "fortified" nutrients. So, I get 1-2g of calcium on days when I drink OJ. On other days, I probably don't get much calcium at all.

I know the forum loves eggshell calcium. Would that be pretty essential to helping my thyroid get going?

OP
PhilParma

PhilParma

Blossom said:
post 103722 Regarding your question about thyroid: you could track your temperature and pulse to get a general idea of how your thyroid is functioning before deciding on thyroid supplements. Peat has mentioned that it is good to have a serum total cholesterol of at least 200 mg/dL before starting thyroid.
Pulse and temperature tracking are two things that I feel pretty guilty about neglecting. I'm completely inept and finding my own pulse, so I would need to buy some sort of device for that. I have no real excuses though--I need to get on it.

P.S., this is the best forum of folks I've ever seen. Thank you all for being so smart and helpful.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
PhilParma said:
post 103725 How many drops did it take for you personally to eliminate the dermatitis?
I know it was not very scientific of me but I really did not count. I would just do 2-4 drops maybe at a time, 2-3 drops on the skin and then one or two under the tongue.

I also started taking Pansterone around the same time, so I figure I better throw that variable in. :lol: With the Pansterone I have been very scientific, :mrgreen: starting out with 1 drop which was plenty for me to start with.

Last edited:

HDD

PhilParma said:
post 103726Pulse and temperature tracking are two things that I feel pretty guilty about neglecting. I'm completely inept and finding my own pulse, so I would need to buy some sort of device for that. I have no real excuses though--I need to get on it.

You can get a free app for pulse or you can use onlineheartrate.com.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The radial artery above the thumb on your wrist or the carotid artery below the jaw bone on your neck are good places to check your pulse.

Giraffe

PhilParma said:
post 103725
Giraffe said:
Phil, how much calcium are you getting?
That's tough to answer. Up until a couple weeks ago I had been supplementing my diet with whey/casein powders, but I didn't quite like how they made me feel so I stopped. With those powders, I could get up to 2g of calcium per day. Now, most of my calcium comes from fortified orange juice, and I don't know if that form is even any good--I'm skeptical of "fortified" nutrients. So, I get 1-2g of calcium on days when I drink OJ. On other days, I probably don't get much calcium at all.

I know the forum loves eggshell calcium. Would that be pretty essential to helping my thyroid get going?
Insufficient calcium intake = high PTH = antimetabolic and inflammatory

Articles
Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs.respiratory energy
Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths

I would also check ca/ph ratio.

Interview
Phosphate and Calcium Metabolism

OP
PhilParma

PhilParma

From that interview:

Sarah: So what are the best sources of calcium to balance increased phosphate intake?

RP: ... you can get very good nutrition out of the leaves, (high protein and high calcium). Otherwise, milk and cheese are pretty much the alternatives sources, unless you want to grind up eggshells (that's basically pure calcium carbonate).

The easiest way for me to reach 2g of daily calcium would be through Simply Orange fortified with Calcium and VitD, which provides calcium in the forms of calcium phosphate and calcium lactate.

lHs0yft.png

I don't know if those are acceptable forms.

Giraffe

PhilParma said:
post 103761 The easiest way for me to reach 2g of daily calcium would be through Simply Orange fortified with Calcium and VitD, which provides calcium in the forms of calcium phosphate and calcium lactate.
I think calcium phosphate and calcium lactate are added as acidity regulators.

tara

:welcome Philpharma

tara

PhilParma said:
post 101512 Can one "eat Peat" without milk?

You can use whichever of Peat's ideas that are helpful to you, and skip any that aren't.

PhilParma said:
post 101512 1) Milk and acne. Years ago I quit drinking milk, and my horrible acne disappeared, never to appear again. I'm deathly afraid of going back to milk and risking even a single week of the type of acne I used to experience. Can one "eat Peat" without milk?
I seem to have recurring trouble with milk too, if I drink too much of it. So for protein I'm mostly eating eggs, beef, lamb, broths, gelatine, eggs, fish, prawns for protein.
You can try reintroducing small amounts of milk at some stage if you want. Some people restore their ability to digest it well.

PhilParma said:
post 101522 Oh God, I've never eaten liver in my life. Kind of freaks me out.
Check out the recipe section for ideas about cooking liver.

PhilParma said:
post 101512 3) Sufficient protein intake. As I said, I don't drink milk, and eat minimal dairy in general. Plus it seems like every common source of protein in the SADiet in high in tryptophan. And every brand of protein powder I've tried has instantly killed my libido. (I don't know why, but I'm pretty sure it's happening.) I'm tall and naturally skinny. I feel like I need 150g of protein daily in order to keep any kind of muscle on. How can I do that? I've read that gelatin, by itself, isn't very good for building muscle.
You don't have to eat all gelatine to improve amino acid balance - a serving of gelatine along with muscle meats, fish etc helps with the balance.

PhilParma said:
post 101512 2) Fish oil is the devil. Except it's not, for me. Out of all the dozens of supplements I've (regrettably) tried over the years, the only one I've ever noticed a positive effect from has been fish oil. It has cleared up my persistent issues with dry eye and seborrheic dermatitis. I really don't want to cut out fish oil and go back to my days of crusty-**** eyes and red flaky skin. I supplement with 8g of fish oil per day. (I know, it's bad.) Could that be okay if I take in two servings of coconut oil per day? 24g of saturated fat vs. 8g of fish oil?
I'm going by Peat's article on fish oil and the reasons people have given above - abandoned the jar of it in my fridge a couple of years ago. But if you can't quite bring yourself to give it up completely yet, how about some temporary harm minimisation on the way? Eg reduce the amount to 1-2ml, mix it with a little olive oil or saturated fat, and apply it topically. Might get some of the skin benefit without being quite such a big burden on systemic metabolism? Reducing other sources of PUFA as far as practical might help, too - some of the apparent benefits of O3s may be in counteracting O6 excess. This is probably worth doing anyway.

PhilParma said:
post 101512 And lastly, I don't have a libido. I'm 26, male, lowish body fat. I've pretty much given up on it. Maybe super-loading carbs/sugar will help bring my libido back, but I've basically given up on it at this point.
How much have you been eating?

OP
PhilParma

PhilParma

tara said:
I'm going by Peat's article on fish oil and the reasons people have given above - abandoned the jar of it in my fridge a couple of years ago. But if you can't quite bring yourself to give it up completely yet, how about some temporary harm minimisation on the way? Eg reduce the amount to 1-2ml, mix it with a little olive oil or saturated fat, and apply it topically. Might get some of the skin benefit without being quite such a big burden on systemic metabolism? Reducing other sources of PUFA as far as practical might help, too - some of the apparent benefits of O3s may be in counteracting O6 excess. This is probably worth doing anyway.

I've stopped supplementing with fish oil. My skin is getting slowly worse--I'm waiting to see how bad it will get without Omega3 before I try alternate strategies to keep it in keep. Topical ALA or Omega3 is indeed one of the things I'm planning to try.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals