Hello All

SelfHelpster

Been lurking here for a while and now hoping I can get some assistance.

I'm a 24 year old male 6'1" and about 195lbs, slowly creeping up in weight. I was diagnosed as a child with aspergers syndrome but have largely cured it (I'm skipping a whole slew of info but I've come a LONG way and am properly working now; ask if you want more details on it).

Important to note: I suffered from mild obstructive sleep apnea from 2011 to 2017. I tried everything, and finally CURED it by cutting out all dairy, especially cheese and butter. I do not think it is lactose intolerance and I suspect that maybe serotonin from the tryptophan caused the issue.

I am now trying ramp my metabolism up, lose fat, and get just finally complete my journey to being physically and mentally healthy. I have read plenty from natedawggh an old poster and think iron could be contributing to the problem. One thing of note is I used to get extreme flatulance from carbs especially starches for the last several years but its slowly diminishing. I suspect maybe it came during my use of cast iron cookware and I'm stopping my use of it in case. Also I'm now suplementing BCAA and other amino acids taking after haidut's famous post.

In the near future I might get some blood work done to measure things like iron and my current testosterone so I can have more solid info. Thank you if you read through all this text I would like some additional direction. I'm going to start using a cronometer site to get a better picture on my diet. If you need any additional info I'll be sure to post it.

Vinero

If you suspect iron overload than make milk and cheese your main sources of protein.
Milk and cheese are deficient in iron and also rich in calcium.
Aspirin and vitamin E are supplements you can add which have been shown to chelate iron.
When you eat meat always have some milk with it, the calcium blocks the iron absorption.

OP
S

SelfHelpster

If you suspect iron overload than make milk and cheese your main sources of protein.
Milk and cheese are deficient in iron and also rich in calcium.
Aspirin and vitamin E are supplements you can add which have been shown to chelate iron.
When you eat meat always have some milk with it, the calcium blocks the iron absorption.

As I said Vinero, while I don't think it has to be permanent, I won't risk eating cheese or butter else I will get sleep apnea again, and trust me, that's gonna make everything more difficult. Lactose free gallon of milk in a day makes me kinda bloated too, so no on that too. I might test to see if my hypothesis about dairy and serotonin is true though and experiment with Haidit's BCAA supplementing when I try dairy.

Vinero

As I said Vinero, while I don't think it has to be permanent, I won't risk eating cheese or butter else I will get sleep apnea again, and trust me, that's gonna make everything more difficult. Lactose free gallon of milk in a day makes me kinda bloated too, so no on that too. I might test to see if my hypothesis about dairy and serotonin is true though and experiment with Haidit's BCAA supplementing when I try dairy.
Any idea why cheese and butter can cause sleep apnea?
If it's the tryptophan in cheese, then meat, eggs, and fish should also cause sleep apnea, since these foods all contain large amounts of tryptophan.

D

danishispsychic

The food sensitivities home test from Everywell is pretty good. I like the 23 and me test also- will show some gluten and dairy info. The mucus that dairy causes and the sleep apnea thing can be off set but lots of citrus, in my experience. Lemon really cuts mucus. I am assuming you are gluten free ? if you arent and you stop consuming gluten you will see a diff in your weight , inflammation and breathing as well. :)

If it's the tryptophan in cheese, then meat, eggs, and fish should also cause sleep apnea, since these foods all contain large amounts of tryptophan.

My theory on this: the lactose quickly breaks down in to glucose, spiking insulin, helping to transport tryptophan over the bbb.

I definitely experience a sleepy effect from dairy in general.

OP
S

SelfHelpster

My theory on this: the lactose quickly breaks down in to glucose, spiking insulin, helping to transport tryptophan over the bbb.

I definitely experience a sleepy effect from dairy in general.

That is an interesting idea, although I guess the insulin spike is not too noticeable as I only ever feel a crash when eating something like bread or fried foods.

The food sensitivities home test from Everywell is pretty good. I like the 23 and me test also- will show some gluten and dairy info. The mucus that dairy causes and the sleep apnea thing can be off set but lots of citrus, in my experience. Lemon really cuts mucus. I am assuming you are gluten free ? if you arent and you stop consuming gluten you will see a diff in your weight , inflammation and breathing as well. :)

I dont believe it was ever mucus being an issue, but I'll keep that idea of citrus the back burner for the future. And I eat as little gluten as possible now a days, but I don't see a bit once or twice a week as being a big problem.

I dug this post up again: Milk calcium and the tryptophan-serotonin pathway
I won't try quoting every useful bit from there, but people are suggesting that your state of metabolism or balance of pufas/vitamins etc. can influence how the proteins in dairy are metabolized. I never felt bad sleep effects any day I binged on meat products though.

I am planning to get a blood test next week mainly to measure my current iron levels and testosterone while I'm at it. Any ideas what else I should ask to be tested?

D

danishispsychic

That is an interesting idea, although I guess the insulin spike is not too noticeable as I only ever feel a crash when eating something like bread or fried foods.

I dont believe it was ever mucus being an issue, but I'll keep that idea of citrus the back burner for the future. And I eat as little gluten as possible now a days, but I don't see a bit once or twice a week as being a big problem.

I dug this post up again: Milk calcium and the tryptophan-serotonin pathway
I won't try quoting every useful bit from there, but people are suggesting that your state of metabolism or balance of pufas/vitamins etc. can influence how the proteins in dairy are metabolized. I never felt bad sleep effects any day I binged on meat products though.

I am planning to get a blood test next week mainly to measure my current iron levels and testosterone while I'm at it. Any ideas what else I should ask to be tested?
well, if you even did the Master Cleanse for 3 days straight or so - and see what it did to you sleep and sinus situation and sleep apnea you might be in for a surprise.

OP
S

SelfHelpster

Hey again. I will be scheduling a blood test soon to test iron. Anyone know what else I should as to be measured?

OP
S

SelfHelpster

Got my blood test results. Here iss everything I think is relevant.

WBC Value 3.4 Normal Range: 3.4-10.8
Hemoglobin Value: 15.0 Normal Range: 13.0-17.7
Potassium value: 5.1 Normal Range 3.5-5.2
ALT(SGPT) value: 20 Normal Range 0-44
DHEA_Sulftate Value: 344.7 Normal Range: 164.3-530.5
Ferritin, Serum Value :125 Normal Range 30-400
Hemoglobin A1c Value 5.0 Normal Range: 4.8-5.6
Iron Saturation Value: 42 Normal Range 15-55
Prolactin Value: 4.8 Normal Range: 4.0-15.2
Free Testosterone(Direct) Value: 7.4 Normal Range: 9.3-26.5
TSH Value 1.100 Normal Range :0.450-4500
Vitamin B12 Value: 733 Goal Range: 600-1245

I just got down to 190lbs. Its not very clear what units of measurement my doctor gave me but I understand my testosterone is still kinda crappy. Again I'm a 24 year old man to put things in perspective. Anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

• bloodresults.png
    bloodresults.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
D

danishispsychic

Have you tried getting a source of Boron to raise testosterone ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom