Height Is Dependent On Diet Quality, Not Genes

Hildy

I'll probably get bashed for saying it but I think blood types might factor into the "height" issue. I am a type "O" and apparently type "O"s are generally supposed to be on the tall side. I am an O and tall 5'9". All the O blood types I know are tall as well. Plus O's, according to what Dr. Dadamo has written, tend to be athletic and more muscular- bigger bones etc. Not sure why that is but that is me as well. I was always slim/muscular until I hit middle age and acquired a a slower metabolism. Working on that. Dr. Dadamo has written that O's tend more towards hypothyroidism which I find very interesting because I suspect I'm hypothyroid now.
A lot of type A's or type B's seem to have a different frame- smaller bones, petite more delicate looking- the women I'm talking about. This is not set in stone what I'm saying but just giving food for thought. Also, diet factors in as well of course.

YamnayaMommy

Why do some people grow so tall under such terrible conditions, then? For example, blacks tend to be taller than other races. However, most of them live in poverty in the unites states and therefore we could assume that most of the black basketball players did not have access to the quality and quantity of food that whites do. Yet, blacks on average are more than 3 inches taller.

This is clearly an evolutionary adaptation fit for running through the tall brush of the African savannah. Only genes could explain that...
Blacks are on average shorter than whites. Many people erroneously believe they are taller on average because of basketball. Some speculate that there is a different distribution of height in blacks so that there are more individuals at the right, super tall, end of the distribution than whites, even though average white is taller than average black.

YamnayaMommy

Darwin noted that the inherited nature of traits has long been obvious to farmers and anyone with experience breeding animals. Want a smarter dog breed? Breed your best sheep herders and eventually you get border collies.

YamnayaMommy

The variation in height among different populations may merely reflect how strongly men and women preferred taller mates.

I’m a little under 5’10”. My 23andMe told me about all the SNPs I had that correlate with being taller than average. My husband is 6’ and all our babies are in the 90sth percentile for height. His brother, also 6’, married a short woman, and all their children are short.

Men: if you want tall sons, don’t marry little women.

D

danishispsychic

My mother was a professional diet-er. She had me on a diet ( weight watchers ) at 9 years old. After I started to drive and then moved out at 18, and ate what I wanted, I grew from 5ft 2 to 5 ft 7 during college . My eating disorder of restricting was still at work, but I finally just ate what I wanted and grew. I later ( at 30 ) found out I have Celiac so I guess that is why I was chipmunk cheeks growing up and ruining my gut. I did have a summer at 16 when I only ate a can of vegetable soup and a bowl of cereal per day ....but that was my fault. I entered some local beauty pageant. SOOOO f-ed up when I think back. Anywho- I grew 5 inches when I started to eat, and that was from 18-22-

sladerunner69

Blacks are on average shorter than whites. Many people erroneously believe they are taller on average because of basketball. Some speculate that there is a different distribution of height in blacks so that there are more individuals at the right, super tall, end of the distribution than whites, even though average white is taller than average black.

That's quite interesting, I hadn't thought of that, but makes sense.

soul_rebel

That's quite interesting, I hadn't thought of that, but makes sense.
African American males are not taller on average but the same height as white American males. I would think people primarily raised in western countries are taller. Access to food consistently and high protein allows for taller stature. One can reach their genetic potential easier.

If all humans were fed a similar diet some populations will always be taller based on their genetic potential. Like the naturally tall nilotes or plains Native American tribes vs the shorter mesoamerica population.

sweetpeat

Men: if you want tall sons, don’t marry little women.
It's not that cut and dry. I'm 5'5, may husband is 6'0. Most of my sons are 6 foot and over. My shortest son is also the pickiest eater. Even my daughter is fairly tall at 5'8. I have some tall people in my extended family. My husband has some short people in his extended family. You can't go by just the height of the parents.

You also can't go by the size of a child when they are young. One of my tallest sons was average height/weight as a baby and young child. He is 6'2 now.

It's not that cut and dry. I'm 5'5, may husband is 6'0. Most of my sons are 6 foot and over. My shortest son is also the pickiest eater. Even my daughter is fairly tall at 5'8. I have some tall people in my extended family. My husband has some short people in his extended family. You can't go by just the height of the parents.

You also can't go by the size of a child when they are young. One of my tallest sons was average height/weight as a baby and young child. He is 6'2 now.
Diet is the most important imo my buddy Emmanuel moved here from Cuba and grew several inches just from eating more food. I think the genes play a role too just not as much as we are lead to believe. My biological mom and dad are 5’5 and 6’8 I’m 5’10.

YamnayaMommy

Darwin noted that the inherited nature of traits has long been obvious to farmers and anyone with experience breeding animals. Want a smarter dog breed? Breed your best sheep herders and eventually you get border collies.

Well, right, it’s not cut and dry. It’s about probability and averages.

The more tall ancestors a kid has, the greater the probability of his being tall.

Size at birth is one imperfect predictor among many (including size of parents) of size at maturity.

YamnayaMommy

African American males are not taller on average but the same height as white American males. I would think people primarily raised in western countries are taller. Access to food consistently and high protein allows for taller stature. One can reach their genetic potential easier.

If all humans were fed a similar diet some populations will always be taller based on their genetic potential. Like the naturally tall nilotes or plains Native American tribes vs the shorter mesoamerica population.

This national health statistics report showed adult male black Americans consistently shorter than adult male white Americans. Not by a lot but still shorter. Looked at lots of age cohorts over 1999-2016. Lots of interesting data. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr122-508.pdf

Remember Americans blacks on average 20% European in ancestry. I think west Africans are shorter than Americans blacks.

Attachments

• 575C92FD-15B7-46C9-B563-F4C7A2D51E77.png
    575C92FD-15B7-46C9-B563-F4C7A2D51E77.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 23

InChristAlone

omg how do you pull this stuff out of nowhere?! Those were even more creepy. Then 2 pages later...
"Then tell me, what is the material world, and is it dead?" He, laughing, answer'd: "I will write a book on leaves of flowers, if you will feed me on love-thoughts & give me now and then a cup of sparkling poetic fancies; so, when I am tipsie, I'll sing to you to this soft lute, and shew you all alive The world, where every particle of dust breathes forth it's joy. " W. Blake (1794)
:wideyed:

I want to read it, been too long I've followed Peat and not read more of his books.

GelatinGoblin

Do you know of a gene or group of genes that is responsible for height? Can you share them please? Quite a few groups tried to use computational genomics to predict real-life features based on genes and height has been one of the most sought after predictable features. None of these models has so far managed to do anything useful outside a lab.
So, until I see solid evidence of specific genes linked to height the evidence of the 3 threads above stands - i.e. maximum height depends on quality of environment.
For a bit of anecdotal evidence - basketball player Boban Marjanovic has a height of ‎7 ft. 3′ inches (221 cm). His parents (confirmed by genetic testing) have heights around 5' 8''. Nobody in his lineage is known to have been taller than 6ft and Boban himself does not have a pituitary disorder or another condition explaining his height.
Boban Marjanovic: I'm from another planet, like Superman from Krypton | Eurohoops
"...The Philadelphia 76ers‘ Boban Marjanovic has always towered his opponents – and teammates – with the height of 7’3” (221 cm). People might assume he comes from crazy-tall parents as well but, as in the case of many other ‘giants’, that’s not it. His parents are at 5’6” (168 cm) and 5’9” (175 cm) which isn’t even close, so, how did it happen? ‘The Bobinator’ has got that covered:"
And here are some other things to consider.
Every Gene Affects Every Trait, So Personalized/genomic Medicine Is Doomed
The 'omnigenic' Theory Confirmed Again, Genomic Medicine Likely Useless
Environmental Quality, Not Genetics, Determines Testosterone Levels In Men

Non-pathological gignatism, extremely rare... Angus MacASkill comes to mind.
Perhaps a genetic mutation causing extreme tissue proliferation.