Height Is Dependent On Diet Quality, Not Genes

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted a few threads in the past demonstrating that gene are likely not the main driver of height, despite the mainstream dogma vehement claiming to the contrary.
Dutch People Gained 20cm Of Height In Just 150 Years
Protein Quality, Not Genes, Determine Male Height

Intelligence and height are often presented as two of the most genetically driven variables of any given human. Below is yet another study demonstrating that switching to a diet containing animal protein allowed the Chinese boys to gain ~10cm on average over a period of just 25 years. Considering the 50% height of a 12-year old Chinese boy in 1985 was around 120cm, the ~10cm gain represents a whopping 8% increase in height. That change is highly statistically significant and cannot be explained by any statistical manipulations as a fluke.

Global meat-eating is on the rise, bringing surprising benefits

"...In the decade to 2017 global meat consumption rose by an average of 1.9% a year and fresh dairy consumption by 2.1% -- both about twice as fast as population growth. Almost four-fifths of all agricultural land is dedicated to feeding livestock, if you count not just pasture but also cropland used to grow animal feed… It is largely through eating more pork and dairy that Chinese diets have come to resemble Western ones, rich in protein and fat. And it is mostly because their diets have altered that Chinese people have changed shape. The average 12-year-old urban boy was nine centimetres taller in 2010 than in 1985, the average girl seven centimetres taller."

ShotTrue

Growth Factor Plus (Height Growth Factor) - 3 Month Supply, (1 FREE)
A lot of people gain height when they high dose amino acids like these:
L-Ornithine
L-Arginine HCL
L-Lysine
L-Tyrosine
L-Glutamine
L-Glycine

I tend to think height is still a good portion genetic but can also be highly influnceable as diet affects growth hormone output by the pituitary. Shawn Baker, proponent of the carnivore diet mentioned on instagram today that peasants ate wheat products while royalty ate meat.
Funny though how meat intake is increasing while Vegans seem more vocal - I guess their feelings don't compare to the importance of protein

Genetics determine maximum achievable height, you can reach your genetic max height given that you consume adequate protein throughout development. I highly doubt protein is the only/major component of height determination.

Momado965

Is this because amino acids in meat and dairy increase growth hormone via the pituatary gland?

Soren

Forum Supporter
Any chance of a height
boost later in life, say in your 30s?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Genetics determine maximum achievable height, you can reach your genetic max height given that you consume adequate protein throughout development. I highly doubt protein is the only/major component of height determination.

Do you know of a gene or group of genes that is responsible for height? Can you share them please? Quite a few groups tried to use computational genomics to predict real-life features based on genes and height has been one of the most sought after predictable features. None of these models has so far managed to do anything useful outside a lab.
So, until I see solid evidence of specific genes linked to height the evidence of the 3 threads above stands - i.e. maximum height depends on quality of environment.
For a bit of anecdotal evidence - basketball player Boban Marjanovic has a height of ‎7 ft. 3′ inches (221 cm). His parents (confirmed by genetic testing) have heights around 5' 8''. Nobody in his lineage is known to have been taller than 6ft and Boban himself does not have a pituitary disorder or another condition explaining his height.
Boban Marjanovic: I'm from another planet, like Superman from Krypton | Eurohoops
"...The Philadelphia 76ers‘ Boban Marjanovic has always towered his opponents – and teammates – with the height of 7’3” (221 cm). People might assume he comes from crazy-tall parents as well but, as in the case of many other ‘giants’, that’s not it. His parents are at 5’6” (168 cm) and 5’9” (175 cm) which isn’t even close, so, how did it happen? ‘The Bobinator’ has got that covered:"
And here are some other things to consider.
Every Gene Affects Every Trait, So Personalized/genomic Medicine Is Doomed
The 'omnigenic' Theory Confirmed Again, Genomic Medicine Likely Useless
Environmental Quality, Not Genetics, Determines Testosterone Levels In Men

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

InChristAlone

I thought height was negatively associated with longevity? I have some shorties in my family and they seem to not be able to die lol. Whereas someone who grows extremely big is at risk for heart problems.

I stopped growing as a kid, I was not a milk drinker and use HGH for 4 years.

Now my first born is following in my footsteps. He is extremely short he doesn't like dairy but he loves meat.

My second born is tall for his age he will drink milk occasionally but he is the one who shuns protein.

ShotTrue

Is this because amino acids in meat and dairy increase growth hormone via the pituatary gland?
That’s what I’m thinking.
I also think it’s more than just diet. You inherit hormone production and receive hormones in the womb that alter your physiology. Parents heights are very reliably used to estimate child’s heights. Sometimes children have the same diet yet one sibling is much different than the other.
Protein and calcium will help max height and raise right over time, but there is no way just eating a carnivorous diet is the sole reason someone grows 1.5 feet taller than the parents. Estrogen, DHT, test, thyroid, GH, ghrelin, somastotin, several measures hav an effect. At a certain point no diet is going to make most people’s kids 7 feet tall

I like what haidut is saying though. I mean, you can literally make what would be a 5’6 child 6’2 with syntethic growth hormone, thus a huge opportunity for outside influence

LiveWire

Precisely. Nothing left to add to this. Not sure why the OP needs to make a black and white issue out of it.

Momado965

That’s what I’m thinking.
I also think it’s more than just diet. You inherit hormone production and receive hormones in the womb that alter your physiology. Parents heights are very reliably used to estimate child’s heights. Sometimes children have the same diet yet one sibling is much different than the other.
Protein and calcium will help max height and raise right over time, but there is no way just eating a carnivorous diet is the sole reason someone grows 1.5 feet taller than the parents. Estrogen, DHT, test, thyroid, GH, ghrelin, somastotin, several measures hav an effect. At a certain point no diet is going to make most people’s kids 7 feet tall

I like what haidut is saying though. I mean, you can literally make what would be a 5’6 child 6’2 with syntethic growth hormone, thus a huge opportunity for outside influence

Would be nice to have outside influence over height tho. So girls cant say I want a tall guy lol! They’ll have to think of something much smarter.

LiveWire

Would be nice to have outside influence over height tho. So girls cant say I want a tall guy lol! They’ll have to think of something much smarter.

Keep in mind that tall is just short for tall, muscular, successful with lots of hair and money. You can be tall, but if you’re fat or lanky, or bald, or poor, you may as well be short.

PandaPower

Yes. I'm Chinese. I witness that adolescents becoming taller and taller, stronger and stronger in recent decades. I think in the north 1.8 meter is average level for middle school graduate

Momado965

Keep in mind that tall is just short for tall, muscular, successful with lots of hair and money. You can be tall, but if you’re fat or lanky, or bald, or poor, you may as well be short.
Lol true. But hey who gives a ****. In the west more specifically the US men are implimenting MGTOW.

LiveWire

But MGTOW sounds like a different word for incels, with a voluntary pretense.

If you want some **** you gotta play the game. I got the height, I got the hair, I fake muscularity with tighter clothing and sucked in gutt, and my job position creates the illusion of success and wealth. I’m all set.

brainfog

The eskimos is/was short and they ate mainly meat. Why?

When they started eating the western diet they gained height. Dunno where i read/hear it. Western price probably.

Could it be the carbs that made thyroid funcion increased? So the liver increase the steroids hormones etc.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Precisely. Nothing left to add to this. Not sure why the OP needs to make a black and white issue out of it.

You are making it sound as if I am making it black and white. All I am doing is presenting the evidence, which so far favors the environmental influence over genes. So far I have not heard/seen anything about specific genes related to height. If you know the genes responsible for (maximum) height please name them. Did you see my other comment on so many groups trying to algorithmically predict height using even genome-wide associations? None of those attempts worked. Did you see the post further up about giant Boban and his tiny (by comparison) parents? So, until I see a gene, a group of genes, or an interaction between genes being conclusively linked to height, I am sorry but the genetics crowd does not have much to stand on. All I have heard so far is essentially "but...but....but it's the genes man" without any proof/evidence.
Check these threads as well.
Every Gene Affects Every Trait, So Personalized/genomic Medicine Is Doomed
The 'omnigenic' Theory Confirmed Again, Genomic Medicine Likely Useless
Environmental Quality, Not Genetics, Determines Testosterone Levels In Men

Last edited: