Heavy Metal Contamination Of Methylene Blue

jyb

It is also important to note that adverse effects of MB are not explained solely on the basis of hormesis or oxidative damage, but also on that of its chemical purity. Even pharmaceutical (USP) grade MB contains impurities, such as arsenic, aluminum, cadmium, mercury and lead. At low doses, the presence of contaminants is not of great concern, but at higher doses non-specific effects due to accumulation of various toxic and bioactive substances are possible. Industrial-grade and chemical-grade MB sold as a dye or stain can consist of more than 8% or 11% of various contaminants (NTP, 2008, Sigma Chemical Co, St. Louis, MO) and should not be administered to humans or animals. For example, commercial chemical suppliers routinely warn that their non-USP MB products are of a chemical grade not suitable for use in living applications. Nevertheless, some recent studies have used these impure chemical-grade MB products with living cells and animals, obtaining potentially misleading dose-response and toxic effects (Atamna et al., 2008; Auerbach et al., 2010)
Neurometabolic mechanisms for memory enhancement and neuroprotection of methylene blue

Amazoniac

paymanz

Oh thats bad news! Thanks for share it.

But i guess the ones that are sold for fish treatment must be clean,otherwise it kills the fish or makes them ill.

ddjd

Would this apply to the health natura brand methylene blue which should be pharmaceutical grade I'm geussing??? @healthnatura

Last edited:
inafter "why does RP want us to take less than 100mcg?"

OP
J

jyb

Oh thats bad news! Thanks for share it.

But i guess the ones that are sold for fish treatment must be clean,otherwise it kills the fish or makes them ill.

No, I think it's the opposite - the ones for fish are usually not the pharma grade MB so it's exactly the kind of MB the study is about. I don't think you can conclude anything from the fact that a fish doesn't immediately die or fall ill - a lot of the sea food consumed is loaded with heavy metals.

Would this apply to the health natura brand methylene blue which should be pharmaceutical grade I'm geussing??? @healthnatura

The study says even pharma grade MB is affected. So the only solution is to find MB sellers providing a detailed purity analysis (likely very few) and check if the numbers are acceptable.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

Imagine this scene, replaced by jyb as the girl announcing that even pure methylene blue is contaminated, Zeus as Alan receiving the news appearing concerned but not really because his product is meant for topical use and he has just read that Blossom is now a mod again, and myself as Charlie with the timing.

Last edited:

artlange

A friend suggested a "pinch" of EDTA put into the bottle of MB may bind with the metals left over from the manufacturing process.