Heavy Cream?

Rolomoto

does Ray (or anyonoe) have an opinion on heavy cream? Been using it with coffee.
Thanks

mt_dreams

Ray preference is in concentrating his coffee & drinking with milk (and possibly sugar).

That being said, cream works well in coffee, and it's much better than the current crazy of adding butter to coffee. The fat will slow the absorption of the caffeine, which is what you want. So if you are not drinking coffee with a meal, adding fat (coconut or milk cream) & sugar is a safe way to drink it.

juanitacarlos

I've heard him on one of the KMUD shows talk about cream in coffee - says it is ok - I think mainly taste wise and ease of mixing it (compared to butter).

BingDing

I always assumed heavy cream was OK in Peat's world, it's dairy. I love the stuff, used it in coffee for years. Even on those insane calorie restricted weight loss diets I made room in my 1400 calories/day for cream in my coffee.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Watch out for carrageenan as an additive in many commercial varieties of heavy cream. I have even noticed it pop up in some of the organic brands.

BingDing

Blossom said:
Watch out for carageenan as an additive in many commercial varieties of heavy cream. I have even noticed it pop up in some of the organic brands.

Absolutely. And any of those little tubs of half and half at the C stores have carrageenan in them, I can taste it at this point and I've seen bulk packs of them with ingredients listed. The half and half at Starbucks, Caribou Coffee, and every coffee shop I've been in has carrageenan in it, I ask to see the container it comes in. The same is true for the occasional coffee shop with light cream. The world isn't just upside down, it's positively insane.

Edit spelling: blame it on Blossom, LOL.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I noticed carrageenan was a problem before discovering Peat's work. It was quite confusing at first because the foods seemed unrelated until I realized it was this mysterious substance called carrageenan that was bothering me. I thought I was making good choices at the time but my body sure told me differently. One of the items was coconut milk and the other was a 'natural gluten free' lunch meat. Oh well. I wonder how many unsuspecting people are vaguely sick or being treated for IBS from all the foulness added to foods? Does anyone know if it is used as a food additive in other countries besides the U.S.?

tara

Blossom said:
I noticed carrageenan was a problem before discovering Peat's work. It was quite confusing at first because the foods seemed unrelated until I realized it was this mysterious substance called carrageenan that was bothering me. I thought I was making good choices at the time but my body sure told me differently. One of the items was coconut milk and the other was a 'natural gluten free' lunch meat. Oh well. I wonder how many unsuspecting people are vaguely sick or being treated for IBS from all the foulness added to foods? Does anyone know if it is used as a food additive in other countries besides the U.S.?
Good sleuthing.
Yes, E407. Haven't found any icecream without it, incuding various fancy brands. And in cream cheese, cottage cheese, yogurts, reduced cream, evaporated milk, ...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
tara said:
Blossom said:
Good sleuthing.
Yes, E407. Haven't found any icecream without it, incuding various fancy brands. And in cream cheese, cottage cheese, yogurts, reduced cream, evaporated milk, ...
Hagan daaz chocolate and coffee flavors in the US are free of gums and added PUFA. Maybe other flavors too but I haven't checked. Daisy brand cottage cheese too.

jyb

BingDing said:
The half and half at Starbucks, Caribou Coffee, and every coffee shop I've been in has carrageenan in it, I ask to see the container it comes in. The same is true for the occasional coffee shop with light cream. The world isn't just upside down, it's positively insane.

What is safe at Starbucks or coffee chains in general? I guess you can always go with filter and expresso. Maybe latte too.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
jyb said:
BingDing said:
The half and half at Starbucks, Caribou Coffee, and every coffee shop I've been in has carrageenan in it, I ask to see the container it comes in. The same is true for the occasional coffee shop with light cream. The world isn't just upside down, it's positively insane.

What is safe at Starbucks or coffee chains in general? I guess you can always go with filter and expresso. Maybe latte too.
I've gotten plain cafe latte from Starbucks a couple times because it is just steamed milk and espresso. I add sugar to mine. :D

No heavy cream I was getting from Trader Joes or Whole Foods had any additives in the heavy cream. Heavy cream + espresso + maple syrup + gelatin is the shiznit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals