Heat Stability Of Particular Nutrients

CoolTweetPete

I am curious if any of you folks are familiar with the amount of heat stability particular nutrients (ADEK, B-Vitamins, amino acids, etc) have.

I sometimes worry that cooking (or even mildly heating) things like liver or eggs will destroy the nutrition. After reading this article, I became particularly concerned about the P5P content of liver because I use Danny Roddy's pate recipe (only way it is palatable to me).

Vitamin B6: Food Sources & How To Supplement - Divine Health

She mentions that "heat destroys this very sensitive nutrient", but doesn't seem to mention temperature. It got me wondering about the fat solubles, other B-Vitamins, and aminos' resistance to cooking heat.

Thanks, all. :hattip

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

I believe I've seen the same chart. Wonder if anyone can confirm accuracy and fill in some blanks. :)

paymanz

vitamin c and k are stable to cook but exposing to air destroy them.ray recommends to not cook more than 3 hours,it has bad effects on amino acids.

schultz

I looked through a few papers but didn't find much.

Thiamine seems to be the least stable b vitamin. B6 held up reasonably well. Boiling tends to be the worst method for vitamin loss, unless you're going to drink the liquid like in a soup.

Thiamine and other nutrients

"Thiamine is by far the most labile of the vitamins in meat, destruction depending on time and temperature (microwave cooking resulted in lower loss while roasting leads to a higher loss). Loss of thiamine during frying depended on the type of meat: 70% loss in the case of light muscles of chicken, 30% loss for pork. In pork, which is much richer than any other meat in thiamine, the vitamin appeared to be more stable."

"Kimura et al. (1990) compared other methods of cooking of pork and found that the loss of thiamine was largest in boiling (70%), followed by steaming (40%), parching (35%) and frying (30%). This is explained by the water-soluble nature of the vitamin being leached out into the water."

For B6

"In their study on vitamin B6 in raw and friedchicken, Olds et al. (1993) observed that frying with batter resulted in a loss of total vitamin B6 of about 6.5% with an overall retention of 93.5%. The vitamins appeared thus to be stable to deep-fat frying. The breading and batter probably enhance retention by trapping the liquid and therefore decreasing loss of watersoluble vitamins."

Makrosky

I wouldn't trust a vegan/raw web page for information on heat effects on nutrients. It's gonna be biased for sure.

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

I'm suspicious of that data as well.

Don't see how raw liver vitamin B2 content is lower than braised liver vitamin B2 content. :crazy:

ekool445

I'm suspicious of that data as well.

Don't see how raw liver vitamin B2 content is lower than braised liver vitamin B2 content. :crazy:

Yeah I was confused by that as well. I wish they explained.

I wouldn't trust a vegan/raw web page for information on heat effects on nutrients. It's gonna be biased for sure.

Their website doesn't seem to be promoting a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. They seem to even cross-examine vegan and vegetarian claims as well as show studies supporting omnivore diets and other diets. But yeah, wonder how accurate the study is.

When most of it is still there any imprecision in measurement could give a result higher than 100%

Amazoniac

I guess what matters most from those experiments is really the max ratios of loss obtained and how much on average a food has of a given micronutrient. Applying those factors to determine how much you've left with in your food is a waste of time, not only due to the composition but also the fact that once you ingest the food, there are many variables that could affect its metabolism.
Cooking and draining diminishes the values but you absorb better for example..

Last edited: