Hearts Of Palm As Bamboo Shoots Alternative

Can heart of palm substitute bamboo shoots?

• They look similar, probably yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Despite similar appearance they are not interchangeable

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
I posted this question in a thread about next Ray Peat things, still no answer. So I'm creating a new poll about it. Heart of palm here in South America is common ingredient in salads and pizza. Its made of internal part of shoots of a many types of palms. Its basically the same part of a plant that is used in bamboo shoots.
Here in Brazil there are three main types sold Pupunha/Bactris gasipaes, Açai/Euterpe oleracea and Juçara/Euterpe edulis.
photo_1.jpg

There is a picture of bamboo shoots to compare with.
1462901973Bamboo-Shoots.jpg

Do you think hearts of palm posses the same properties as bamboo shoots?

vulture

They taste really great. Never saw bamboo shoot a here, but “Palmito” is easy to find and to eat

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Heart of palm is delicious
Bamboo shoots, umm, not as much.

I also am interested in this.

vulture

I think analyzing fiber type is the key to know this because bamboo or carrot is alleged to be cleansing for the GI tract because of its type of fiber, AFAIK, not fermentable. And I read nutrition facts of palm hearts once and it’s content was mostly fiber and some carbohydrates

yerrag

I've been eating heart of palm for a long time but it was only recently that I became aware of bamboo shoots due to Ray Peat's endorsement of it. I at first thought they were one and the same as well. But here's the thing: Bamboo shoots are very young bamboo, just recently sprouted. They have a lot of energy, and grow very fast. They're also near the ground, and possess antibacterial components that protect them from pathogens in the ground. Hearts of palm are outgrowth of palm plants, and they're not even seeds that germinate later into a new offspring. And they're just hanging off the palm tree, far from the ground. And they're produced from mature plants, so the energy level is unlike that of an energetic bamboo shoot. So I'm not inclined to believe the two items share similarity in the characteristics that we value the bamboo shoots for.

Back
Top Bottom